A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

If we're talking about Nightmare rip offs, you might as well go hardcore

Coincidentally the only Ramsay brothers' movie I've seen to date (and it was years ago). IIRC, my biggest issue was that the Nancy character was basically regulated to inconsequential, side-lined character at the end.

Also coincidentally, I was planning to finally show my friends another movie from the Ramsays this October.

Yeah, I'll give you no argument there.
HML is almost certainly the best Elm Street rip-off that isn't an obvious Elm Street rip-off ever made. Though I'd have to give a little love to The Dead Pit as well.
Huh? How's The Dead Pit an Elm Street rip-off? It's been a few years since I last watched it, but my recollection is more like a Fulci rip-off with a pinch of Hellbound. It's a decent film, though.

No, look, I'll say that this is my third viewing of the film as a grownup (I have some recollection of it as a teenager but more the later scenes) and I flat-out thought it was shit on the first viewing, softened on it significantly on the second, and now, after the third, I think I actually like it enough that I would watch it yet again if someone wanted to and I would enjoy a good bit of it. I focused a lot on my nits in the write-up because I have been so negative about the film for so long I thought that I should explain some of the issues that I'd had. All of which are still true but I think they are overcome by the positives, not the least of which are Slick, well-defined characters, real tragedy, and Jamie Lee Curtis dancing.
Right, you made that clear, I just didn't word my post properly. What I meant to say was that I was surprised/relieved to hear that you weren't always a fan prior to this viewing. I thought this was one that all of you encouraged me to watch, so I felt like a failure for not connecting with it.

Victim of The Night
Huh? How's The Dead Pit an Elm Street rip-off? It's been a few years since I last watched it, but my recollection is more like a Fulci rip-off with a pinch of Hellbound. It's a decent film, though.
I'm fairly sure I re-read my review of it in the last few months and found that I said something like, "If you want the best Elm Street-type film with a Fulci third act ever made, you at least have to consider The Dead Pit." Or words to that effect.

Victim of The Night
Right, you made that clear, I just didn't word my post properly. What I meant to say was that I was surprised/relieved to hear that you weren't always a fan prior to this viewing. I thought this was one that all of you encouraged me to watch, so I felt like a failure for not connecting with it.
I was a straight-up Hater on PN.

‘I Know What You Did Last Summer’ – Brand New Movie Releasing Summer 2025
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...g-summer-2025/

Next ‘Insidious’ Movie Releasing in Theaters Summer 2025
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...s-summer-2025/

‘Jason Universe’ – Horror Inc. Begins a New Era of the ‘Friday the 13th’ Franchise; Here’s the Plan
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...eres-the-plan/

Watched Abigail last night, found it fitfully entertaining. Despite how much of it's twist was basically out there already in the marketing I'm still going to discuss it with spoilers as the film itself clearly intends it to be a surprise.So from the start one of my gripes is that I think the whole thing would have played better if I didn't know that twist ahead of time but unfortunately the very first trailer I watched spoiled it.

WARNING: spoilers below
So while there are some bloody good vampire scenes and I actually kind of like going with the full set of sharp teeth approach I'm less thrilled with some of the choices they make in regards to vampires. First off is a problem I've had with several recent vampire films and that is very combustible vampires. Like at one point a ray of sunshine hits Abigail's arm and it explodes. Anything that kills these vampires just makes them become a burst blood pinata and it's really annoying to me. Secondly the power level of these vampires feels hard to pin down. Abigail can overpower a bigger human but the moment one of them also becomes a brand new vampire now muscle mass matters, but then they imply it takes time to get used to your powers. Eh I also no I tend to prefer more traditional vampires and weaknesses so some of this is really just personal preference.

I do wish it had stayed with the play the dumb humans against each other longer as that was a way more interesting section of the film than the full on vampire attacks for me. Abigail also makes a weird choice of when to end the subterfuge honestly.

Not vampire related but it was also way to easy to peg who was making it out alive and honestly her character was the most boring of any the criminals.

So I'm pretty split on this, set up is fine and I like the interactions of the characters and Abigail for most of the film. There is some fun to be had when things go sideways but it also feels a bit too silly at times for me. I'd say check it out if you've been thinking of doing so and if you haven't seen any spoilers avoid them like the plague.

The trick is not minding
I came across this book I plan on ordering called Perverse Titillation: The Exploitation Cinema of Italy, Spain and France, 1960-1980.
Kind of wish it went up to the 90’s, since there’s an awful lot of Italian horror they’re leaving out, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.

The Church, 1989 (B)

A very messy, convoluted and disjointed film, peppered with some of the best imagery in any Italian horror movie I've seen. A whole 10-15 minutes feel cut off unfortunately. Characters just vanish from the last part of the plot with zero explanations.

Victim of The Night
The Church, 1989 (B)

A very messy, convoluted and disjointed film, peppered with some of the best imagery in any Italian horror movie I've seen. A whole 10-15 minutes feel cut off unfortunately. Characters just vanish from the last part of the plot with zero explanations.
Yeah, a lotta people seem to like The Church the most of Soavi's films, and I think I liked it more than it sounds like you did, but I preferred Stage Fright. And some small part of that at least was that it made sense and characters didn't just disappear. But I am used to that from the Italians so I just took it.