A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Lost Boys or Fright Night?

I've always been more of a Fright Night guy.

Fright Night, and it's not even close. And a big chunk of that is the sweater he wears in the nightclub scene.

The remake is pretty good too, aside from the ill-advised decision to make the expert character a magician.

Fright Night, and it's not even close. And a big chunk of that is the sweater he wears in the nightclub scene.

The remake is pretty good too, aside from the ill-advised decision to make the expert character a magician.
Yes!

I still haven't seen the remake. I'm not opposed to it (I'm actually fond of exploring remakes), it just hasn't called to me.

Yes!

I still haven't seen the remake. I'm not opposed to it (I'm actually fond of exploring remakes), it just hasn't called to me.
I think it's a very worthy remake. Just the right balance of keeping the story the same and deviating at certain points.

Bad Moon. Some of you good folks were talking about it and I haven’t seen it, plus I needed something short because I spent most of the night seeing a different movie with “moon” in the title…a much longer movie. This flick is kinda hilarious, the only one who suspects this guy’s a werewolf is the family dog. So the dog gets the most screen time, which is fine with me because the human acting is pretty bad. But the movie itself looks really good, sharp crisp colors, and I was watching it on some creepy free steaming service too. Dennis the Menace is in it fwiw.

Bad Moon. Some of you good folks were talking about it and I haven’t seen it, plus I needed something short because I spent most of the night seeing a different movie with “moon” in the title…a much longer movie. This flick is kinda hilarious, the only one who suspects this guy’s a werewolf is the family dog. So the dog gets the most screen time, which is fine with me because the human acting is pretty bad. But the movie itself looks really good, sharp crisp colors, and I was watching it on some creepy free steaming service too. Dennis the Menace is in it fwiw.
That one was pretty good. Anchoring the horror largely through the dog's perspective was a nice touch.

More horror movies should feature the dog as the outright protagonist.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

Lost Boys, of course.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Victim of The Night
Cross-post

A pretty good "Living Dead" movie wherein corpses are being reanimated in Manchester and only the forceful yet hip good-looking motorcycle paladin, now accused of the murders the zombies have committed, can save everyone. Or can he?
A bit of an Environmental Horror as a new agricultural technology may be raising the dead. It's a fairly good if simple idea that works well for the film. But what really works is the film's very violent very bloody third act. The movie lulls you into almost-boredom for a bit (at least it did with me, though I seem to remember being more into it last time I saw it) before a gore-fest final 30 minutes. Which is well-executed, they really go for it for the time. I mean, there's something about the level of violence this movie goes to that sort of forces it to work. And I must say that the surprising (though not "twist") ending pleased me very much.

Ultimately, this movie won't make you forget George Romero or even Dan O'Bannon, but it's a worth-seeing earlyish entry into the now-overstuffed zombie canon.

Victim of The Night

Fright Night by 17 miles.
It is nearly perfect.
Last time I watched Lost Boys I couldn't even take it.

Victim of The Night

These are the ones I haven't seen... (Demon Knight)
I really thought you had seen and liked Demon Knight, no?

Sex man, sax man - whatever it takes

Victim of The Night
Yes!

It's fine. It's true that Tennant's Peter Vincent is jarringly over-the-top and seems a bit a sign-of-the-times or a cop-out over the fact that young people would not understand Peter Vincent's "Fright Night" TV show and who he was. Which honestly is already being alluded to in the original. The first one does a lovely job of painting the picture of that character, an aged-out actor from B vampire-movies reduced to late-night Horror-show host and losing that too as the whole concept loses touch with the youth. Tennant's (and I'm not blaming him, he does a fine job with what he has) is this overwhelmingly ridiculous character who doesn't even really quite fit what the story calls for, but is an attempt to update it for contemporary audiences.
Also, if I remember, the effects are unnecessarily CGI when nothing is done that wouldn't have been more convincing with practical effects.
I mean, the original has some of my favorite vampire effects of any film, ever.

Victim of The Night
(Mean to post this here but accidentally put it in the other thread even though it has nothing to do with the Challenge):

Also, I must say, and I really hate going out of order on my Horrorthons, but The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the theater last night was a chef's-kiss moment and also a personal triumph as the movie immediately and fully won over my Gen Z friend. She actually insisted that we go sit down at a table outside the theater and discuss it at length. And her takeaway was the same as mine... There is simply nothing like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
(I'll say more on this later.)

PS - If you ever wondered if TCM was a movie you should watch high, especially if you thought the answer was "obviously No", the answer is actually, "HELL YES".

Fright Night is clearly the better film and easily my favorite of the two. But Lost Boys is also great as a bit of 80's pop kitsch. It's dumb and superficial but has a dumb dog likeability to it. I could watch either anytime and be happy about it.

I thought I knew you.

Suck a guy's dick once and he thinks he knows you. Sheesh.

Lost Boys puts me in the unfamiliar position of defending a godawful slab of late 80s cheese, which is absolutely one of my least favorite aesthetics. On paper it should be my worst nightmare but it somehow won me over. (I've only seen it once, maybe 5 years ago.)

And this is my annual reminder that I need to watch Fright Night.