A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

LGBTQ+ horror I've seen and liked in the last few years
Sorry, I want to add one more film to this list, but with a caveat.

Siege is a horror/thriller that begins with a group of villains attacking the patrons and workers in a gay bar. Some survivors make their way to an apartment seeking protection. The caveat is that when the action kicks off in the titular siege of the apartment building, the film does sideline its queer characters somewhat. Still, I think there's something powerful in the portrayal of these queer people just going about their business and being attacked out of nothing but hate and "because we can." The film isn't perfect, but I liked it a fair amount.

I saw Siege some odd years ago at a film fest. It seemed... very Assault on Precinct 13 inspired.

(Overall, I'm positive on it. It just wouldn't be exactly what I'd be looking for for October).

I saw Siege some odd years ago at a film fest. It seemed... very Assault on Precinct 13 inspired.

(Overall, I'm positive on it. It just wouldn't be exactly what I'd be looking for for October).
I agree that it leans more thriller/action, but I'd still consider it horror enough for October.

Rewatching and reappreciating the movies of William Castle with The Tingler, which I mostly remembered as a goofy Vincent Price movie with silly Bill Castle gimmicks. Honestly, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in this movie: psychological/sexual menace, a kind of surrealist horror bit, even proto-body horror. I love Castle's whole P. T. Barnum style of movie making, there's an old-timey charm to it.

Rewatching and reappreciating the movies of William Castle with The Tingler, which I mostly remembered as a goofy Vincent Price movie with silly Bill Castle gimmicks. Honestly, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in this movie: psychological/sexual menace, a kind of surrealist horror bit, even proto-body horror. I love Castle's whole P. T. Barnum style of movie making, there's an old-timey charm to it.

Charm? There's nothing charming about a tingler on the loose! It could be under your chair right now or on your shoulder. By the time you scream it is too late my friend. Now put on your 3D glasses and be on the lookout.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Charm? There's nothing charming about a tingler on the loose! It could be under your chair right now or on your shoulder. By the time you scream it is too late my friend. Now put on your 3D glasses and be on the lookout.

OH GOD, IT'S IN MY ASS! PULL IT OUT!

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
Alright, my tentative list for late September-Halloween:

Post-Apocalyptic or Natural Disaster Films:
The Day (2012, Canada)
The Worthy (2016, UAE)

Robert Englund Movie:
Dead and Buried (1981, US)

Underground Movie:
The Colony (2013, Canada)

Horrors dealing with Satan or the Devil:
The Pope's Exorcist (2023, US)
Satan's School for Girls (1973, US)
Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2018, Spain)

Amicus Movie (bonus, also a Peter Cushing movie):
Dr. Terror's House of Terrors (1965, UK)

Peter Cushing Movie:
Tales from the Crypt (1972, UK)

Worst Dracula Movie (bonus, based on Bram Stoker works):
Dracula 3D (2012, Italy)

LGBTQ Movie:
What Keeps You Alive (2018, Canada)

Craven/Hitchcock/DePalma/Ken Russell/Morehead & Benson:
Cursed (2005, US)
Vampire in Brooklyn (1995, US)
The Fury (1978, US)
The Endless (2017, US)
The Lair of the White Worm (1988, UK)

Clive Barker Film:
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988, UK)

Horror Film Released When You Were 10 (aka Find a horror from 1983):
Sweet Sixteen (1983, US)

Mario Bava Film:
Blood and Black Lace (1964, Italy)

Film with X in Title:
Climax (2018, France)

Tobe Hooper Film:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986, US)

Freebies:
The Black Sleep (1956, US)
Get Out (2017, US)
Megan (2023, US)
The Menu (2022, US)
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (RV) (1982, US)
Pastacolypse (2023, US)
Star Light (2020, US)
The Golem (2018, Israel)
Bug (2006, US) (Yes, Takoma, you talked me into this one)
Five Nights at Freddy's (2023, US)

I might have a little give with a few of these. What are your thoughts?
Robert Englund Movie:
Dead and Buried (1981, US)-Full review is here: https://madman731.wordpress.com/2023...-gary-sherman/

Amicus Movie (bonus, also a Peter Cushing movie):
Dr. Terror's House of Terrors (1965, UK)-Review here: https://madman731.wordpress.com/2022...eddie-francis/

Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)-https://madman731.wordpress.com/2015/10/13/horrorfest-2015-presents-vampire-in-brooklyn-1995-wes-craven/

The Fury (1978, US)-https://madman731.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/horrorfest-2016-presents-the-fury-1978-brian-de-palma/

The Lair of the White Worm (1988, UK)-I really liked this one, no review yet but it sticks out in my mind pretty well. Also you have Hugh Grant and Peter Capaldi together, plus Amanda Donohoe stealing the movie!

Clive Barker Film:
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988, UK)-Years back I lost a review of this movie on WordPress, haven't gotten back to writing about it. Definitely the best sequel in the early part of the series, gory, disturbing and a good followup to a classic. The maze setting is perfect.

Horror Film Released When You Were 10 (aka Find a horror from 1983):
Sweet Sixteen (1983, US)-https://madman731.wordpress.com/2020/08/06/horrorfest-2020-presents-sweet-sixteen-1983-jim-sotos/

Mario Bava Film:
Blood and Black Lace (1964, Italy)-https://madman731.wordpress.com/2023/09/15/fashion-can-be-deadly-blood-and-black-lace-1964-mario-bava/

Tobe Hooper Film:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986, US)-https://madman731.wordpress.com/2019/05/12/the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-2-1986-tobe-hooper/

Get Out (2017, US)-https://madman731.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/get-out-2017-peele/
Megan (2023, US)-I really enjoyed this one, was very satisfied by the movie and I can't wait for the inevitable sequel.

The Menu (2022, US)-Darkly funny in so many ways, I really did like it but I didn't love it. I saw it and Megan in theaters. Good cast, too, and the ending made me evil grin a little while also pondering the movie's events at the same time.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (RV) (1982, US)-I should review the whole Halloween series, right now I've only covered the original and the DGG flicks. H3 is a blast, very creepy imo and has Tom Atkins battling, well, a crazy Halloween cult. Not sure what else you could ask for.

Copied and pasted from notes cause this site doesn't work well on my phone.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

Oh yeah, that was a good one, by the master of horror-schlock, William Castle, the guy who never saw a movie that wouldn't be better with a gimmick. If you went to a first run theater they had buzzers in some seats that were supposed to scare audiences into thinking that the tingler was loose in THEIR theater. What more could you ask, except to have Vincent Price chewing the scenery.

The other angle to this was LSD, mentioned as an "acid", presumably to put victims in the right frame of mind. The Tingler had the first cinematic mention of Hoffman's hallucinogen in a movie. Way back when, in grad school, I took a course that mentioned alternative types of psychotherapy, one of which was LSD. The course was set in a Maryland hospital that had a special federal permit to use the stuff for research in psychotherapy. It was quite beneficial, had no side effects when used properly, but sadly, the whole idea got smothered under hysterical publicity and news coverage. Too many people saw things like The Tingler, and thought that their spine might be crushed or their mind turned into tomato paste.

A system of cells interlinked
My wife and I started researching recent horrors to watch as we prep for October/Halloween season. Slim pickings out there, folks! We got a few films in line, and then decided to watch one of them right away.

Resurrection

Semans, 2022

While both performances from the two leads were well-done, I found this film to be a real chore to get through. Clearly an allegory for dealing with past trauma, this thing crashed and burned so badly in the third act, that both my wife and I were laughing at how straight up stupid the ending was. Just terrible. This film had me briefly consider giving up on any horror film made from here on out, for the rest of my life.

My wife and I started researching recent horrors to watch as we prep for October/Halloween season. Slim pickings out there, folks! We got a few films in line, and then decided to watch one of them right away.

Resurrection

Semans, 2022

While both performances from the two leads were well-done, I found this film to be a real chore to get through. Clearly an allegory for dealing with past trauma, this thing crashed and burned so badly in the third act, that both my wife and I were laughing at how straight up stupid the ending was. Just terrible. This film had me briefly consider giving up on any horror film made from here on out, for the rest of my life.
LOL.

How "recent" do you want?

Horror since 2020 I'd recommend (I think you may have seen a few of these):
Talk to Me
X
The Menu
M3GAN
Old
Nope
Barbarian
Infinity Pool
Prey
The Black Phone
Skinamarink
Watcher
Alone
Mad God
Titane
Possessor
Candyman
His House
Nanny
Bloody Hell
Hunter Hunter
Psycho Goreman
Wolf of Snow Hollow
Caveat
A Wounded Fawn
Violation
Amulet
The Boy Behind the Door
Lucky
The Strings

Also, I didn't list it because IMDb classifies it as an action-thriller, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention 2020's Hunted, a film that I find upsetting and demented and very funny. It starts as your standard "bad men hunting woman through the woods" plot and then it takes a turn. It takes several turns.

I consider it a great late-night scary flick.

And do NOT watch the trailer, which gives away far, far too much of the film.

I'll throw in another 2020s recommendation list (grouped in descending order of my rating):

4/5
The Innocents
Last Night in Soho

3.5/5
All the Moons
The Curse of Audrey Earnshaw
Underwater

3/5
Venus
Project Wolf Hunting
X
Pearl
Valley of the Dead
Incantation
Martyrs Lane
Superdeep
Gaia
The Empty Man
The Devil Below
Don't Listen
Sputnik

A system of cells interlinked
I'll throw in another 2020s recommendation list (grouped in descending order of my rating):

4/5
The Innocents
Last Night in Soho

3.5/5
All the Moons
The Curse of Audrey Earnshaw
Underwater

3/5
Venus
Project Wolf Hunting
X
Pearl
Valley of the Dead
Incantation
Martyrs Lane
Superdeep
Gaia
The Empty Man
The Devil Below
Don't Listen
Sputnik
Thank you!

I've not seen many horror movies from the 2020s and most of what I'd recommend has been mentioned.
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm apparently the one person on the planet that liked Men.

But, a simple, well-made slasher, I'll suggest The Last Matinee (I don't think I see other people mention this one much. There isn't any depth there, but I was pleasantly surprised by it).

If you want a cosmic horror-themed, dark comedy with J.K. Simmons being the voice of a dark, elder god, then you can check out Glorious.

I don't think Censor has been mentioned. A24 horror (I guess going back to 2019, there's also Saint Maud).

I... really can't remember In the Earth. Like, it might have actually been the last thing Ben Wheatley did that was worth watching, but I can't remember if it was good or not. I think it was? Or at least watchable?

If you want a cosmic horror-themed, dark comedy with J.K. Simmons being the voice of a dark, elder god, then you can check out Glorious
While I was kind of mixed on this one, I think it would make for a good time. Especially as a late night viewing and especially with another person.

While I was kind of mixed on this one, I think it would make for a good time. Especially as a late night viewing and especially with another person.

It is fairly slight. Given the size of the cast and the fixed location, I can only assume JK Simmons made up 60% of the budget. He probably made up over 60% of the appeal.

The 2020s haven't had that many years so far, and some of them have been lean.

I forgot the opening line.
If people are recommending 2020s horror films, Speak No Evil (2022) is one I'll never, ever forget, but one I never hear anybody talking about. Just putting that out there...

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)