who should be the new James Bond?

Tools    

Go back to roots.

Have a James Bond 007 set in the first world war.
Seeing as James Bond, and 007, are both personas, we could see the first ever agent to hold the title working in WWI.

Maybe a teenage-to-twenties Bond, who was chosen from the new recruits who were signed up for service in WWI for a new secret service job to find intelligence on the Nazis and maybe kick some Nazi ass.

Might be overreaching myself, but I think Dean-Charles Chapman would make a great 1914 Bond.

Welcome to the human race...
Go back to roots.

Have a James Bond 007 set in the first world war.
Seeing as James Bond, and 007, are both personas, we could see the first ever agent to hold the title working in WWI.

Maybe a teenage-to-twenties Bond, who was chosen from the new recruits who were signed up for service in WWI for a new secret service job to find intelligence on the Nazis and maybe kick some Nazi ass.

Might be overreaching myself, but I think Dean-Charles Chapman would make a great 1914 Bond.
Isn't that basically the Kingsman prequel that nobody liked?

I agree with Yoda. Who they choose depends on their vision for the character and the type of character they'd like Bond to be in the next iteration of the series. I would have liked to see Idris Elba do it. I quite like his series Luther. He has both the suave and sophistication required, and his looks and physicality fit the role. He also has the hard edge that someone like Connery had. A lot of people would have been happy to see a minority assume the role as well, but at 50 years old, he is simply too old now. They aren't looking for someone to be Bond for two or three movies. I think they want someone for 10-15 years, and Elba wouldn't be able to convincingly do that. Additionally, I think Elba is a pretty decent actor, and his career could go in many different directions, so his career may not fully benefit from being type cast by inhabiting the Bond persona on a serialized basis.
Would be 100% down for Elba as Bond. Then again, I could be talked into Elba as Queen Elizabeth, so it's possible I'm not capable of thinking critically about his involvement in things.

The phrase "I'd watch them read the phone book" comes to mind, but that's hilariously out of date. We need a 21st century version.

"I'd watch them read posts on reddit"? Or, geekier, "I'd watch them read WHOIS records/DNS entries"?

I don't know if The New York Post is the most reliable source (really, I don't know-I just know it's one of the few "newspaper" sites that will let me access it without having to shut down my ad-blocker) but the story is on many other sites as well:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/03/frontr...bond-revealed/

I'm not a Bond fan but I'd watch Elba as Bond.

Too old now. The man is gray.

I daresay the man with deadly cufflinks has the wherewithal to dye his hair if necessary.

Or, better, hire someone older and make that part of this incarnation of the character. In fact, most of the things I love most about the character are exactly the kinds of things an older Bond would have to rely more on: charm, ingenuity, strategy, clever use of technology, etc. It'd also have to deemphasize the parts I find more boring, like yet-another-fist-fight (though I still have a weakness for the Mission: Impossible style environmental stunting).

I realize this is unlikely, though. They have every incentive in the world to go in the opposite direction. Here's hoping they go really young, a nascent Bond, at least, rather than just "Bond, but younger and handsomer," which is what I expect will probably happen.

I daresay the man with deadly cufflinks has the wherewithal to dye his hair if necessary.

Or, better, hire someone older and make that part of this incarnation of the character. In fact, most of the things I love most about the character are exactly the kinds of things an older Bond would have to rely more on: charm, ingenuity, strategy, clever use of technology, and would have to deemphasize the parts I find more boring, like yet-another-fist-fight.

I realize this is unlikely, though. They have every incentive in the world to go in the opposite direction. Here's hoping they go really young, a nascent Bond, at least, rather than just "Bond, but younger and handsomer," which is what I expect will probably happen.
Totally, I’m very down for a silver fox Bond, it’s been ages.

Lizzo

Can we get Sydney Sweeney as Moneypenny?

Aaron Taylor Johnson was great in Bullet Train (2022).
If rumors are to be believed, he would have auditioned for 007 around 2022, so maybe Bullet Train did have something to do with it?