The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Not to be contrarian just to offer the counterpoint, those are the exact two moments that I think make the film.
I agree, but I think it all depends on how much you're willing to let yourself go into this crazy world. Interestingly, I see both as good examples of a certain amount of restraint until it's not possible to hold it anymore. Think of how long Aster stretches the reveal of what happened in the car, only to then hit us with this gruesome view, and then equate it to the way he essentially stretches the final "twist", only to then hit us with this bizarre reveal of what is really happening. It worked perfectly for me.

Victim of The Night
Captain America: Civil War was okay, and I appreciate the idea of heroes having very conflicting ideas about what their roles and limitations should be. But the movie totally lost me at that bloated, inconsequential airport fight. Like, what even was that? It wasn't fun. It had no stakes.
I thought it was incredibly fun and it had more stakes than any other Marvel fight except the one at the end of the exact same movie.

I'm struggling to come up with a good hint for the #91 film tomorrow.
Weird, I'd have thought Moonlight was one of the easier ones

Weird, I'd have thought Moonlight was one of the easier ones
Do you have access to the ballot list? If so, and assuming you're referring to what I think you're referring to, I don't think moonlight would be a good hint for the next film since it isn't specific enough to it.

Do you have access to the ballot list? If so, and assuming you're referring to what I think you're referring to, I don't think moonlight would be a good hint for the next film since it isn't specific enough to it.
Ha, no I do not have access to anything .... I just meant the film Moonlight which happens to be my faildiction for #91

Where the hell did the "2010s Countdown" thread go?
I think it got subsumed into the MCU - 'MoFo Countdown Universe'

I thought it was incredibly fun and it had more stakes than any other Marvel fight except the one at the end of the exact same movie.
Did it? I don't even remember what the fight was over. Or who won. Just that suddenly Spiderman was also there?

The film made so little impression on me (helicopter wrangling excepted) that it's almost hard to discuss.

hereditary is really good, i currently have it at #122 on my personal list. i like it a bit more than it follows, which is also quite good.

civil war is on the bottom half of my mcu rankings but still fine enough. the central ideological battle is a more interesting conceit than a lot of them, but the stakes feel lower than most of the other movies. it's a lot of scenes of different combinations of protagonists fighting each other in an airplane hanger until they decide to stop fighting. still has some fun moments. it's inclusion does not bode well for the rest of the list, however. as much as i have to admit to myself that i actually really like a lot of the movies, none of the mcu except maybe one has any business being on a list like this and it's gonna be boring to see like 6 of them pop up, which will surely happen at this point.
criticker

First set that I've seen neither of. More likely to watch It Follows. marvel has never been to high on my film bucket lists

I had to check my records to know if I've seen Civil War. I haven't even though I enjoyed the first 2. I like most superhero films but I stopped watching when they started combining characters all of the time. There just ended up being so many movies and I felt like I needed to see all of them to keep track. I don't like them enough to do that.

Wasn't a contender to be a contender for my ballot, but I did like It Follows.

Haven't Seen: The Descendants, Room, Hereditary, The Man from Nowhere, Captain America: Civil War

Seen: It Follows was a solid horror film which plays around with the horror trope of the person having sex being killed. After having sex with a guy, a young woman (Maika Monroe) is told that she's the latest with the curse by the guy. And the rest goes from there. I don't think it quite sticks the landing, but there is enough there that it proves to be a pretty good piece of horror. Didn't make the list, but I do get why it is there.

For the 91st picture, this is actually part of the DVD poster for the film. Curious to see if this kind of hint is obvious or not.