A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I'm watching The Ledge... this movie will get a decent rating from me because my fear of heights... absolutely terrifying.

I'm watching The Ledge (2022) on Hulu, and for the life of me I cannot understand why the movie keeps trying to insist that the characters are American when the actors are mostly clearly very much not American. At least two of them are British and one is Spanish. And this is particularly bizarre when the lead actor says, in his clearly not-American accent, "We came halfway around the world for some Euro tail and you found us a couple of Cali girls." The nationality of the characters, all of whom are vacationing in Italy, isn't even plot relevant.

I think we're still paying off the cultural grievance debt of Kevin Costner's British accent in Robin Hood.
And for the few decades of signifying all of our Russian (and ancient Roman) characters as such by making them speak in British accents.

I think we're still paying off the cultural grievance debt of Kevin Costner's British accent in Robin Hood.
And for the few decades of signifying all of our Russian (and ancient Roman) characters as such by making them speak in British accents.
I guess.

But why not just be like "This is my friend Sophie from Spain"?

Anyway, this film did not have a pigeon, but the climactic fight did include a heavily foreshadowed use of
WARNING: spoilers below
deux-ex-snake-ina

Victim of The Night
Anyway, this film did not have a pigeon, but the climactic fight did include a heavily foreshadowed use of
WARNING: spoilers below
deux-ex-snake-ina
I award full marks.

Anyway, this movie will get a decent rating from me because my fear of heights makes any movie where people are climbing rock faces absolutely terrifying.
Not a horror movie, but have you seen That Man From Rio? There's a pretty great bit with Belmondo on a ledge. I believe he did his own stunts too.

I've always been under the impression that Swamp Thing was a well received movie. I remember because, even though I watched it a thousand times as a kid, I didn't really like it and couldn't figure out how adults did? Wasn't this supposed to be for me? Then I grew up and realized it was because Wes Craven directed it, and that was my inner cinephile already burping up between popsicle slurps.

Yes. Just like some great musicians are terrible lyricists. Or some great songwriters can't play their instruments. Or some beautiful records have bad production. You got to look past the layers of what doesn't work. Things can still transcend. It's after all rare that any one piece of art is firing on all cylinders. Usually, to be really great at one thing, you end up sacrificing somewhere else.

The more we can accept the stuff that doesn't work in things we would otherwise like, the more we will start to appreciate more and more things. Horizons broaden. And then the walls start breaking down between us and the things we once though were worthless.

Basically, I've long felt the more receptive we are to more things, the better we will be in the long run. This nonsense about developing a discerning pallette over time, and becoming more reluctant to what we will accept as good, is garbage. The goal should be to like more and more, not less and less. People who have really deep and great insight into why they like the dozen things they actually like, and who then proceed to shrug at the rest of the world, are idiots.
I'm four pages late already, but I composed half a reply to this yesterday. I hope to have it finished soon (long after everyone has forgotten the conversation.) Didn't want to just leave you hangin'.

I will not contest that at least in some readings of this statement, it could describe me. Well, minus having really deep and great insight into why I like the things I like, or even what those things are (also the opposite of, why do I dislike the things I dislike (or am unmoved by) - also a puzzler). I'm still trying to figure both of those things out.

I don't think you need to worry as what you wrote here is the opposite of what I was talking about. You've watched a lot of movies, all sorts of different kinds, have probably come to have a good idea of what works for you more than other things, and yet you are still in flux. You aren't letting your 'expertise' of film cut you off. There is still a search going on.

I have a friend who is deeply informed about music. I've never seen anyone who can articulate so many interesting things about why he thinks some things work and why he thinks other things don't. It would be hard not to qualify him as some kind of genius. And yet, with all that information he holds, with all those great ideas, with such a potential for limitless understanding, he has shut himself off in the furthest corners of a handful of jazz and classical composers who are even 'listenable'. Everything else is beneath wasting his time with. And while he's clearly no idiot as he's thousands of times smarter than I will ever be, he's a fool for squandering what he knows. For using knowledge to shut him off instead of open him up.

We all of course have our preferences. And I think we refine our idea of what we prefer as we get older. And I think it's also fine to lean hard into what we like most. But one of the gifts of learning more and more about a given artform, is having the walls break down between different forms of expression so that we can see the many different ways an artist might chose to create. And the more these walls break down, the easier it becomes to embrace things that once seemed alien, or amateurish, or wimpy, or too clinical etc.

I always find it a shame when people, who are clearly music or movie obsessive, just keep going deeper and deeper in one direction. Sure, they might become brilliant at understanding that one thing. But they've essentially lost sight of anything that doesn't fit those one or two parameters they've decided matter. And I just find these sorts, who devote themselves to specialization, or an idea that art must do one specific kind of thing, annoying when they feel their tastes have been refined. From my vantage point it looks like they've just shut out the rest of the world.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Anyone catch the 40th anniversary of The Thing? Fathom Events showed it at our local Cinemark yesterday. (I think they're doing one more show on Tuesday or Wednesday)

Great experience - I was too young to see it in the theater in 1982.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Anyone catch the 40th anniversary of The Thing? Fathom Events showed it at our local Cinemark yesterday. (I think they're doing one more show on Tuesday or Wednesday)

I caught it a couple years ago when Coolidge Corner got their hands a 70mm print. :O

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
I caught it a couple years ago when Coolidge Corner got their hands a 70mm print. :O

There's a group of guys in the Philly area that show horror/sci fi double features at a small movie theater. (or used to, anyway - Covid impacted it of course) And they did The Thing several years ago. The copy was a little beat up but it was a thrill to see it on the big screen for the first time, especially with a rowdy audience.

When Wilford Brimley gets an ovation you know you're in for a fun ride.

Victim of The Night
I've always been under the impression that Swamp Thing was a well received movie. I remember because, even though I watched it a thousand times as a kid, I didn't really like it and couldn't figure out how adults did? Wasn't this supposed to be for me? Then I grew up and realized it was because Wes Craven directed it, and that was my inner cinephile already burping up between popsicle slurps.
I didn't have any real sense of how it was received because I was 10, I only knew my mother rolled her eyes at it.

I don't think it's playing anywhere around where I live, but I wouldn't mind seeing it in theaters.

Not a horror movie, but have you seen That Man From Rio? There's a pretty great bit with Belmondo on a ledge. I believe he did his own stunts too.
I have not! Sounds terrifying!

I have not! Sounds terrifying!
Belmondo did a lot of his own stunts, including some hair raising stuff in the '70s (I've only seen clips from that era, not the entire movies). Flicker was a fan and I think he did a thread in one of the subforums, although I don't think he posts here anymore.

Mick Garris apparently attended and was LIVID because they showed the film in the wrong aspect ratio, with a soft focus, low res, digital image.

I was going to go but Fathom Events aren’t covered by my AMC A List subscription so I skipped it. I recently bought the 4K so I’ll just watch that for the millionth time.

There's a group of guys in the Philly area that show horror/sci fi double features at a small movie theater. (or used to, anyway - Covid impacted it of course) And they did The Thing several years ago. The copy was a little beat up but it was a thrill to see it on the big screen for the first time, especially with a rowdy audience.

When Wilford Brimley gets an ovation you know you're in for a fun ride.
Please, let me out of here. I'm good now. I wasn't before, but I'm good now. I've had my oatmeal. The thing, it's like diabetes, it gets into your blood and messes you up. But I'm good now. I've had my oatmeal. I wasn't eating my oatmeal before, because if the thing absorbed me, I wanted to give it my diabetes. Not just it, but all of the other people it's absorbed as well. But I'm good now. Let me out. I'm good now.

Dispatch from the land of The Kids Are Alright!

My friend is doing some sort of art or theater program and she was walking a group of 10-13 year old kids through a museum.

One of the galleries had a collection where an artist had drawn abstract portraits of different celebrities. One of the portraits was of Shelley Duvall and a child turned to my friend and said, "Hey, that looks the like mom from The Shining."

Was in the mood for some, hopefully, cheesy fun horror last night at a friends movie night so we watched Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight followed by Warlock.

Demon Knight was definitely the sort of schlock I was in the mood for, not scary but pretty damn entertaining particularly any moment with Billy Zane hamming it up.

Warlock was better than I expected, there is a certain charm to it in that low budget 80's sort of way. Maybe doesn't reach the level of something like Highlander but still was entertaining to watch.

So all in all I think I got what I was looking for, nothing exceptional but low level entertaining which is pretty much all my brain could really handle or want yesterday.