2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

Yes!

A rare (especially when it comes to Austen!) time that I'd say I enjoyed the movie more than the book!
Nice, I might steal that one for myself. Lots of Austen out there to choose from, but I'd like to pick a story I haven't seen/read before.

I've also learned that Hoopla has the Vincent Price version of House of Seven Gables, if anyone wants to use Hawthorne for this category.

Documentary, my dear Watson
watch 10 documentaries
Made You Look
Fantastic Fungi
HH Holmes Original Evil
Portrait of Jason
Cocaine Cowboys
Horror Noire
Circus of Books
Ailey
Bob Ross Happy Accidents, Betrayal, and Greed
Salesman

All of these were good with the VERY GLARING EXCEPTION of the HH Holmes documentary, which was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

The best were certainly Portrait of Jason, Horror Noire, Circus of Nooks, and Ailey.

G. Background to the forefront:
[Watch one film featuring each of the following types of settings]

4. a film set in a chaotic metropolis
Just want to clarify what we're looking for here; I think the word "chaotic" is throwing me.
I just watched The Last Days of Disco, which is set in 1980s New York City.

Judges?

Just want to clarify what we're looking for here; I think the word "chaotic" is throwing me.
I just watched The Last Days of Disco, which is set in 1980s New York City.

Judges?
I was having the same issue. I'm just going for a film set in a very big city (Tokyo) and hoping that works. I guess I'll have to wait until I watch it to decide if the city seemed "chaotic" enough.

I was having the same issue. I'm just going for a film set in a very big city (Tokyo) and hoping that works. I guess I'll have to wait until I watch it to decide if the city seemed "chaotic" enough.
G3 is "film set in a small town or village", so I was just interpreting G4 as the opposite of that.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It is tricky. I went with .Foreign Correspondent since a good part of it is in London days before WWII breaks out.

Also answers to Jabba
You are right to be wondering as it is probably too concisely phrased. The point of this one (as well as that whole subcategory) is to have a setting which in some way is prominent. I have not seen the specific film you mention @Captain Terror but think of something along the lines of Lost in Translation. If the city itself is in some way a part of the film (even a small one) it would be fair game. For instance, I personally wouldn't include in this a film with two people talking in a room and at some point mentioning "oh we're in NY".

I hope this clarifies.

You are right to be wondering as it is probably too concisely phrased. The point of this one (as well as that whole subcategory) is to have a setting which in some way is prominent. I have not seen the specific film you mention @Captain Terror but think of something along the lines of Lost in Translation. If the city itself is in some way a part of the film (even a small one) it would be fair game. For instance, I personally wouldn't include in this a film with two people talking in a room and at some point mentioning "oh we're in NY".

I hope this clarifies.
Yes, thanks. tLDoD is very much a "New York" film, and ends with a subway station full of people disco dancing, so I'm counting it!

(it's on Criterion Channel, for anyone interested)

I hope this clarifies.
Thanks for the clarification that definitely helps

Welcome to the human race...
For "chaotic metropolis", I initially slotted in Class of 1984 because it's set in and around an inner-city high school, but I watched it last night and got the impression that it would have to involve more of the city in order to properly fit the criteria so now I'm considering swapping it out for something else.

Finally filled both lists. Though it's quite embarassing that there are a lot of popular movies I haven't seen yet

For later updates, not yet sure if I will go for both of them.
Stealing idea from edarsenal, hope they don't mind I will use watchlist and watched.

Main Challenge 0/52  

Nightmare Mode 1/110  

I'm lowkey hoping that The Maltese Falcon qualifies for that chaotic city category.

Watching it regardless, but it'd help if I knew it fit in somewhere.

I'm lowkey hoping that The Maltese Falcon qualifies for that chaotic city category.

Watching it regardless, but it'd help if I knew it fit in somewhere.
It does fit beautifully in Academy Award with three wins, Best Picture, Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Sydney Greenstreet, Best Writing, Screenplay:John Huston.

IF you'd like a Bogart film to fit in that category, I'd suggest Casablanca (1942) or the lesser-known but ideal and HIGHLY recommended, Dead End (1937). And if so, I do have an excellent/safe link for it. Just let me know.

It does fit beautifully in Academy Award with three wins, Best Picture, Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Sydney Greenstreet, Best Writing, Screenplay:John Huston.

IF you'd like a Bogart film to fit in that category, I'd suggest Casablanca (1942) or the lesser-known but ideal and HIGHLY recommended, Dead End (1937). And if so, I do have an excellent/safe link for it. Just let me know.
I don't think it won anything at the Academy Awards. It did get 3 nominations, but lost two of them to How Green Was My Valley.

I'll keep looking for the city one. Maybe a Woody Allen film could fit there?

Midnight Cowboy
Happy Accidents
Dark Days
The Crow
Kung Fu Hustle
If I can find it, Midnight Cowboy could be ideal. Saw a part of it a couple years ago. Happy Accidents is that documentary on Bob Ross's company, right? I've seen the others.

The two Woody Allen films I was thinking of was Annie Hall (New York City) and Midnight in Paris (Paris).

If I can find it, Midnight Cowboy could be ideal. Saw a part of it a couple years ago. Happy Accidents is that documentary on Bob Ross's company, right?
Happy Accidents is a 2000 romantic comedy by Brad Anderson. But I just looked on JustWatch and it's only streaming on one service that I've never even heard of! Boo!