8.70%
4 votes
2010s
15.22%
7 votes
Something else (specify in thread)
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Ha, good one!

That's a war film, it's all about people in hiding or dealing with the Nazi occupation of Europe and North Africa. The outfall of WWII is what drives the movie.
I never seen Casablanca but weird enough I look up the movie on IMDB and it has Drama and Romance as the first two genres and then war. You would think war would be the first genre since it drives the movie like you said

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I break down war films into three categories: combat, non-combat, and documentary. Casablanca is a non-combat war film. However, I'm fine with whatever rules we decide for the countdown.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm looking forward to the poll either way. And I'm cool with any countdown except one that doesn't seem like it will be an option anyways.

I never seen Casablanca but weird enough I look up the movie on IMDB and it has Drama and Romance as the first two genres and then war. You would think war would be the first genre since it drives the movie like you said
I'm pretty sure IMDb lists genres in alphabetical order.

Fantasy would be fun. I can picture my list already: a bunch of horror films, a bunch of 80's b-movies with loin cloths and fur bikini's and Pans Labyrinth.

You really must watch it, MovieFan. It's one of the classics.

My preference would be

1. Noir - I actually think this is the easiest and best of the options. You have actual noir and neo noir lists and it's a big enough pool to get a quality list. Also the BFI list on site is horrible, the worst one of all the lists.

2. War - I'm a little worried about it being WWII and Vietnam centric, but once again you can get a good list.

3. Comedy On one hand it's clearly needed...how many comedies made the 00's list. On the other hand it's such a huge field of noms that it would be better to do a 50 per decade thing.

4. Musical - It would be fine, I don't know how popular musicals are on the site really, we already did the esoteric Western list. I'd like to see a hall of fame to gage interest.

5. Fantasy - to big to nebulous now if you want to do franchises that would be interesting it would honestly be like doing a list of "drama".

Siddon I like what you had to say, so I hope you read my comments as constructive.
My preference would be

1. Noir - I actually think this is the easiest and best of the options. You have actual noir and neo noir lists and it's a big enough pool to get a quality list. Also the BFI list on site is horrible, the worst one of all the lists.
I was thinking if we end up doing a Noir countdown I would then host 3 concurrent Noir HoFs: Proto Noir HoF, Classic Noir HoF & Neo Noir...That should give some good exposure. You're right the BFI Noir list is horrible.

. 2 War - I'm a little worried about it being WWII and Vietnam centric, but once again you can get a good list.
It would be WWII & Vietnam centric but once again I was thinking of a series of HoFs for the major war conflicts that would hopefully expand people's exposure to other war films besides WWII & Vietnam.

3. Comedy On one hand it's clearly needed...how many comedies made the 00's list. On the other hand it's such a huge field of noms that it would be better to do a 50 per decade thing.
Maybe someday we could do a second type of MoFo countdowns where they are more defined like you suggested by decade.

4. Musical - It would be fine, I don't know how popular musicals are on the site really, we already did the esoteric Western list. I'd like to see a hall of fame to gage interest.
There has been some Music based HoFs in the past, I believe they were all popular but then again how many people usually join an HoF, no more than a dozen or so.

5. Fantasy - to big to nebulous now if you want to do franchises that would be interesting it would honestly be like doing a list of "drama".
Drama would be interesting but hard to define, I mean isn't LOTR also drama.

I like to see the next countdown not look a whole lot like the one we just did.

i'd probably put comedy as my first choice, followed by noir, although whatever we choose is fine with me.

i made a list of a handful of more unorthodox ideas, some better than others, that could be considered for this or a future countdown given that we may soon run out of conventional genres:

top 100 french films
top 100 screenplays
top 100 best-looking films
top 100/50 directors (just because it wouldn't work in the lists section doesn't mean it wouldn't be a fascinating and fun list)
top 100 actors (we did one of these before but it was pretty haphazard. no reason we can't do it for real)
criticker

You really must watch it, MovieFan. It's one of the classics.
Not much of a fan of black and white films, if it was in color I'd probably give it a shot. I know it sounds weird but I just prefer movies when their in color

If I had a vote on how many options would be in the vote I would vote for 3...maybe 4. Some people might be annoyed at what I'm going to say but that's okay. It's not personal. It's business.

The more options available the greater chances musicals will win. There is a solid core that will vote for musicals no matter what. The rest will be split and split with more options available and that will possibly give musicals an edge. This must not happen. It cannot happen! I feel that a strategic coalition will be needed. It's the only way.

Why so anti-musical? To be honest I personally don't mind them in small doses. I love Singin' in the Rain. And sure I've read above how these countdowns being about people watching and expanding their film viewing. Right. But let's be real. Most people don't like musicals. Most people haven't watched many musicals to begin with. Most people won't watch many (any?) musicals for a countdown.

A vote for Comedy is a vote against Musicals! My name is Harry Lime and I endorse this message.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Won't it make sense to do every single one of these options at one point though? It's really a matter of order more than anything.