Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A pick pocket picks the wrong pocket and finds himself, the woman he picked, her ex, the commies and the cops in a pickle. Pretty good movie even though I hated the pickpocket and his **** eating grin. Has some of that fun, old school, crime slang. Co stars Thelma Ritter who seems to make every character she plays more interesting than they have any right to be.

Victim of The Night
I watched it last night, and my wife and I really liked it. It was a well made documentary, and Icke's beliefs are very thought provoking. In the main I couldn't find anything that I found fault with. Actually his views tie in very nicely with the conclusions of many theoretical physicists like Brian Greene (Columbia), Lee Smolin (Perimeter Institute), Michio Kaku (City College NY/CUNY), and others.

His views on who is running the world, along with politics, big business, big tech, and social media are pretty self evident. I think many people are starting to see that it is not whom we thought it was. Anyone paying attention can get plenty of fodder for research.

The metaphysical aspects he shares seem to be the result of an initial spiritual experience. Those can be very powerful and meaningful. Of course all of it is opinion. Like as in religion, there are no facts. In the end it's up to the individual to believe whatever makes sense to him.

But it's pretty obvious to those who take the time to think about it, that there's much more going on than we see on the surface.
So, does it or does it not go into his ideas about shape-shifting lizard-Jews from another dimension running the world to keep all humans in fear so they can feed of the negative energy?
'Cause if not, I'm not interested.

Victim of The Night
loved it and was sooo happy get to see trailer of dr strange multiverse of madness.
Don't tell me, but it looks like I see The Lizard in that poster, which pleases me greatly.

Welcome to the human race...
Spider-Man: No Way Home -

watching this in the same 24-hour period as Spider-Man 2 really doesn't do this one any favours

So, does it or does it not go into his ideas about shape-shifting lizard-Jews from another dimension running the world to keep all humans in fear so they can feed of the negative energy?
'Cause if not, I'm not interested.
I don't know much about David Icke, apart from the above video. I did go to his website which, in the main, is interesting and thought provoking. His notions about the reptilian beings referred to in many previous eras strike me as pretty odd, but OTOH I haven't read enough about that to understand his point of view. Those references seem to be a small part of his opinions. Personally I believe in the existence of other dimensions besides the 3 or 4 that we're accustomed to.

You may be part of the group who seeks to marginalize or ridicule Icke. I note that Wikipedia, for example, classifies him with the dreaded conspiracy theorist label, insinuating that he ought to wear a tinfoil hat. Yet they treat the theoretical physicist Michio Kaku with kid gloves despite the fact that he has many similar theories to Icke's.

Have you read much of his work? As above, I haven't studied him at all. I do however like the general subject of the existence of matter, what is time, and parallel universes. The notion that many dimensions exist in the same space is fascinating.

Oh gods of cinema, have mercy on me and stop making me watch this hot garbage!

Eaten Alive (1976)

Tobe Hooper went from the brilliant TCM to this pile of hot, steaming crap? I don't even know if this is supposed to be a comedy, but at least it's laughably bad. It sure has some of the clunkiest plot development I've seen and pretty much nothing to compensate.

--
Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (2012)

Van Helsing meets The Witcher meets the production values of Xena/Hercules meets a series retarded twists. It's terrible in a different way than Eaten Alive, but unquestionably terrible nonetheless. It has some good-looking mutilated corpses, but can't really say anything else positive about it.

Victim of The Night
I don't know much about David Icke, apart from the above video. I did go to his website which, in the main, is interesting and thought provoking. His notions about the reptilian beings referred to in many previous eras strike me as pretty odd, but OTOH I haven't read enough about that to understand his point of view. Those references seem to be a small part of his opinions. Personally I believe in the existence of other dimensions besides the 3 or 4 that we're accustomed to.

You may be part of the group who seeks to marginalize or ridicule Icke. I note that Wikipedia, for example, classifies him with the dreaded conspiracy theorist label, insinuating that he ought to wear a tinfoil hat. Yet they treat the theoretical physicist Michio Kaku with kid gloves despite the fact that he has many similar theories to Icke's.

Have you read much of his work? As above, I haven't studied him at all. I do however like the general subject of the existence of matter, what is time, and parallel universes. The notion that many dimensions exist in the same space is fascinating.
I'm really not part of any groups. I don't believe in them.
But do I believe it's a lot of fun to mock people who not only believe but spread the idea of evil inter-dimensional lizard-Jews as a serious consideration and stir conspiracyism?
Yes. Yes, I do.

PS - I agree with you on the last part, though, I've always been fascinated with the nature of the universe (including time), the lack of human understanding about it, and the hubris of even my beloved Science to think it knows Jack **** about it.

Victim of The Night
Oh gods of cinema, have mercy on me and stop making me watch this hot garbage!

Eaten Alive (1976)

Tobe Hooper went from the brilliant TCM to this pile of hot, steaming crap? I don't even know if this is supposed to be a comedy, but at least it's laughably bad. It sure has some of the clunkiest plot development I've seen and pretty much nothing to compensate.
Wow. I just recently wrote this up as being quite good.

Don't tell me, but it looks like I see The Lizard in that poster, which pleases me greatly.
when i first saw the poster ages ago i was shocked seeing goblin and otto octavius on it they were my favorite villains

His notions about the reptilian beings referred to in many previous eras strike me as pretty odd, but OTOH I haven't read enough about that to understand his point of view.
I'm not sure I understand the qualifier here, unless you think it's plausible you could read something that made this notion something less than ridiculous.

Those references seem to be a small part of his opinions.
Well, sure, and if you commit a murder it's 0.0000001% of all the actions you've ever taken, but certain things are extreme enough to provide an indicator of one's character and/or mental state. It's also a really telling thing about a documentary and its agenda that it would leave something like that out, no?

I think there's a pitfall, with unconventional thinkers, where it's tempting to make excuses for them just in solidary of unconventional thinking. But we should be comfortable with the nuance of "unconventional thinking is good" or "I like it when people question the prevailing narrative" without buttressing someone manifestly ridiculous just because they happen to do those things.

That said, I think others should allow for the possibility that someone might rate a documentary on a guy like this highly without endorsing his wacky beliefs. Some of the best documentaries I've ever seen I disagreed with profoundly, but still had to admire their rhetorical flair.

NIGHTMARE ALLEY: A lavish, gorgeous and deftly handled remake of an odd noir classic. Del Toro heightens the unreality through his garish and stunning aesthetics, while adding a heaping dose of noir tropes that were largely absent from the original. He also corrects and perfects the ending. With an all star cast delivering the right performances for this genre. Just the kind of great, mature, star driven genre flick everyone complains they don’t make anymore so it will certainly flop against Spider-Man. A shame.

4.5/5
I've been looking forward to this one, so I'm glad to hear that you liked it.

The 1947 original was a good film, and a noir with big name actors. I never liked the story though, so it'll be interesting to see how the current film improves on it.

A pick pocket picks the wrong pocket and finds himself, the woman he picked, her ex, the commies and the cops in a pickle. Pretty good movie even though I hated the pickpocket and his **** eating grin. Has some of that fun, old school, crime slang. Co stars Thelma Ritter who seems to make every character she plays more interesting than they have any right to be.
I agree. It's often mentioned as one of the best noirs, although it's not among my top favorites.

It's interesting to see Widmark in a role where he was trying to segue from his wacko roles to more serious characters. And I agree about Thelma Ritter. She almost stole the show, and won a best supporting Oscar for her work.

Thelma Ritter didn't win an Oscar for Pick Up on South Street...she was nominated but didn't win. Ritter was nominated for seven Oscars, but never won.

Victim of The Night
...Ritter was nominated for seven Oscars, but never won.
Dude, you're bummin' me out.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Baby Face (1933)
++ Filmed just as the Hayes Code is implanted, this sexually charged film hits hard and heavy. It showcases a 25 yr old Barbara Stanwyck and the Lioness that would become her cinematic persona.

Nick Powers: You little tramp, you!
Lily Powers: Yeah, I'm a tramp, and who's to blame? My Father. A swell start you gave me. Ever since I was fourteen, what's it been? Nothing but men! Dirty rotten men! And you're lower than any of them. I'll hate you as long as I live!

Spending her days as a waitress and sexual outlet in her father's backroom bar, Lily Power (Barbara Stanwyck) knows for a fact that she could do far better than being used by the men that continually chase after her. Until Fate and the advice of a learned elder regular, quoting Neitchze to seize life and to use men for what she wants, she splits with her best friend Chico (Therese Harris) and heads to the big city to do just that.
Using sex and ruthless machinations, she climbs up the corporate ladder. And it is an amazingly cunning climb with several victims left in her wake once she no longer has any use of them. I was continually wondering how she would make the next rung on the ladder and was genuinely impressed by how she pulled it off.

I also found it impressive that she is never demonized or labeled callously by the makers of this film. It is exceedingly easy to get behind this woman of indomitable will using both her body and her strategic cunning to get what she truly wants, which is everything.

WARNING: "The Ending" spoilers below
With already a body count of cast-aside lovers, the original ending was her finding her final lover, the very top man of the ladder, dead from suicide. The smoking gun beside him. The only good man and the only one she could love and believe in love.
The censors' instance that he survives and she chooses love over her pursuit of a glamorous life seemed to work in its way. Finding love, glamour, and genuine happiness after a sh#t life did make me breathe easier since when she first discovers him and holds him as his eyes drift shut was a sad sight to see for me.
So I am a bit confused about my preference since I could easily see the more hard ending being far more of an impact.

Victim of The Night

Baby Face (1933)
++ Filmed just as the Hayes Code is implanted, this sexually charged film hits hard and heavy. It showcases a 25 yr old Barbara Stanwyck and the Lioness that would become her cinematic persona.

Nick Powers: You little tramp, you!
Lily Powers: Yeah, I'm a tramp, and who's to blame? My Father. A swell start you gave me. Ever since I was fourteen, what's it been? Nothing but men! Dirty rotten men! And you're lower than any of them. I'll hate you as long as I live!

Spending her days as a waitress and sexual outlet in her father's backroom bar, Lily Power (Barbara Stanwyck) knows for a fact that she could do far better than being used by the men that continually chase after her. Until Fate and the advice of a learned elder regular, quoting Neitchze to seize life and to use men for what she wants, she splits with her best friend Chico (Therese Harris) and heads to the big city to do just that.
Using sex and ruthless machinations, she climbs up the corporate ladder. And it is an amazingly cunning climb with several victims left in her wake once she no longer has any use of them. I was continually wondering how she would make the next rung on the ladder and was genuinely impressed by how she pulled it off.

I also found it impressive that she is never demonized or labeled callously by the makers of this film. It is exceedingly easy to get behind this woman of indomitable will using both her body and her strategic cunning to get what she truly wants, which is everything.

WARNING: "The Ending" spoilers below
With already a body count of cast-aside lovers, the original ending was her finding her final lover, the very top man of the ladder, dead from suicide. The smoking gun beside him. The only good man and the only one she could love and believe in love.
The censors' instance that he survives and she chooses love over her pursuit of a glamorous life seemed to work in its way. Finding love, glamour, and genuine happiness after a sh#t life did make me breathe easier since when she first discovers him and holds him as his eyes drift shut was a sad sight to see for me.
So I am a bit confused about my preference since I could easily see the more hard ending being far more of an impact.
This looks like just my thing.