Futuristic? puzzle game, abandoned urban building

Tools    

I'm looking for the title of a movie or perhaps episodes of a tv show where the main character starts to play some kind of (mobile?) puzzle game (not sure if the world had smartphones or some futuristic VR-glasses or something. Or even regular PCs, but I don't think so. My memory is quite vague on that part.

He meets a group of young adults/late teens that hang out in an abandoned urban building that was once expensive, maybe massive stone walls and stairs leading up to it. They also play that game and there's a girl that is quite good at the game.

The protagonist quickly rises to the top of the leader-board or the highest level (I think each "level" was a specific puzzle, once you found the solution you get to the next level). The puzzles got very hard, involving some kind of scavenger-hunt in the real-world for clues.
The game had quite simple graphics, I think.

I think I also remember the boss of the games company being a tech-millionaire and some sinister plot involving an alleged high sum of prize money for the first player to beat the game.

That's about all I can remember. The overall tone had a bit of mystery, meaning-of-life stuff and maybe psycho elements (questioning ones sanity), but maybe I got that mixed up with another movie. Some of the group hanging out in the abandoned building could have been doing drugs.
I can't really tell how old the movie was, but not older than 2000, I'd say and it has been at least 2 years since I saw it.

Thanks everyone!

Gah, parts of it made me think of Nerve but aspects really don't fit as far as I can remember so highly doubtful that's the one you're looking for .... and now every time I re-read the question that movie is all that's stuck in my head. Sorry, hopefully someone here can help you.

A system of cells interlinked
Gah, parts of it made me think of Nerve but aspects really don't fit as far as I can remember so highly doubtful that's the one you're looking for .... and now every time I re-read the question that movie is all that's stuck in my head. Sorry, hopefully someone here can help you.
Nerve was the first thing I thought of too, as well and Ready: Player One, but none of the clues fit the second film.

Nerve was the first thing I thought of too, as well and Ready: Player One, but none of the clues fit the second film.

Nerve is not it, but looks interesting!

And yes, I thought exactly the same thing to myself, I even considered mentioning it is not Ready: Player One

I really liked Ready: Player One, btw.

The title I am looking for has a more dark, maybe even sinister tone to it. And it was actual money as the prize for beating the game, not something like the Egg in R:PO.