Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Interesting concept. Well-acted. A looooooong movie.
Many of the dislikes I see about this picture came from the story itself, they say it's nothing real life. My life wasn't like that growing up, but I wouldn't say the movie is inaccurate because of that. What do you think of the two other movies of this director with Ethan Before Midnight and Before Sunrise?

It's not a director I'm passionate about, but I liked Slacker, and School of Rock, the last one mainly because of Jack Black.

I have a real love/hate relationship with Ryan Murphy. Rubberwoman is a two-part (basically) movie for American Horror Stories. I'm not sure if this was meant to be on FX and got moved to Hulu but I don't know how you do a sex horror story...without sex and horror. The humor is very good in this and the story has some quality elements to it but man does it spiral out of control.

Paris Jackson(Michael Jackson's daughter) is in this and she's pretty good though the one note is pretty much ruined. It has my woke bingo card (AA authority figure, multi-ethic clique, evil predatory white dude) which is somewhat balanced by the humorous gay relationship. We then end up with a character who is just introduced for the second episode and she makes no sense...I have no idea what she did except exist because the plot demands it.

No sudden move (2021)

Enjoyable crime/caper film that owes a debt to Guy Ritchie I think. The setting of 50s America is quite good.
And blimmin 'ell I didn't realise Brendan Fraser was in it, he's gone to seed a bit!

Fear Street 1666

It's the best and the worst of the trilogy. The first part takes place at the start of the story in 1666 with pilgrims...and black people are there for...reasons. They never bothered to explain that which to me is a problem because historical horror should be accurate and when it's not you basically take yourself out of the film. Also it's a little hard when the central message of the story is the intolerance towards homosexuality with color blind castings in a historical setting. It was just tone-deaf and weird.

But you can get past it because the horror during this period of time is excellent. It's easily the best the show has to offer and worth the wait. A lot of spooky stuff with religion comes into play and when they go dark it lands well. Also the reveal is nice, I didn't really see it coming though it is morally bankrupt and eye rolling because of-course the show/series goes there.

I don't want to come off as a right wing guy lecturing the liberalism of Hollywood if you have a good inspired idea I'm all for it. But sometimes a metaphor becomes so labored and tired that you just want to groan and change the channel. As fans of Community it is ironic that Britta is a central character because Netflix definitely Britta'd this excellent series (on paper).

Black Widow (2021)

Yeah I don't get why Disney didn't just give this away for free. Black Widow feels like Falcon and the Winter Soldier except not as good because the best parts (Florence Pugh, Dave Harbour, and Rachel Weitz) are all really cool and interesting characters who are saddled with a bored widow ScarJo, a third act deux ex machina and another walking not talking toy in TaskMaster.

This is the worst looking Marvel film ever released...it's basically a Fast and Furious film except it looks worse at points. This "film" is just littered with wasted potential...I almost wish Loki had been a two movie and this had been a six hour mini-series. Plus they wasted what could have been a top tier level bad guy which is unforgivable.

Every Breath you Take (2021)

Highly derivative "psychological thriller" that didn't really get going. Affleck looks bored and I'm not really surprised. Every "twist" was predictable. Tries to build tension but fails.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
No sudden move (2021)

Enjoyable crime/caper film that owes a debt to Guy Ritchie I think. The setting of 50s America is quite good.
And blimmin 'ell I didn't realise Brendan Fraser was in it, he's gone to seed a bit!
It is really something, compared to his former “leading man” appearances. Those eyes look like they could pop out of his head at any moment!

The Omen (1976, Richard Donner)

One of those movies you get creeped out by as a kid and then as an adult scratch your head wondering what all the fuss was about.
Don't get me wrong, it's a decent film, definitely not without its moments (the death scenes, for example, were pretty good) but it's also kinda dull, old-fashioned and not nearly scary or sinister enough.
Didn't care for Peck and Remick here - just seemed a bit flat and stiff to me.

I forgot the opening line.

By IMDB - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9801736/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=61913955

A White, White Day - (2019) - Iceland

The sparsely populated country of Iceland continues to pump out decent films. I really would have expected this to be a Grímur Hákonarson film, but A White, White Day was written and directed by Hlynur Pálmason. Either of those two might break out into the more mainstream one day - I thought Hákonarson's Rams to be one of the best foreign language films of the 2010s, and while White Day doesn't reach dizzying heights, it's certainly a good film.

Ingimundur (Ingvar Sigurdsson) has just lost his wife - her car going over the edge of a cliff on a white, foggy day. He's the type of man not to let his emotions get the better of him, and anyway, he has the love and adoration of his granddaughter who he looks after from time to time. All that changes when he discovers something in his wife's possessions that she'd kept hidden from him. Slowly he starts to lose control - and being an ex-cop he has the means at his disposal to do real harm. Can he avoid complete self-destruction?

Great performances, a beautiful backdrop and a dream-like climate make this a very involving, realistic tale of grief, jealousy, family and revenge.

7/10

The Omen (1976, Richard Donner)

One of those movies you get creeped out by as a kid and then as an adult scratch your head wondering what all the fuss was about.
Don't get me wrong, it's a decent film, definitely not without its moments (the death scenes, for example, were pretty good) but it's also kinda dull, old-fashioned and not nearly scary or sinister enough.
Didn't care for Peck and Remick here - just seemed a bit flat and stiff to me.
The Omen was really excoriated by the media and film critics when it was released in 1976 - but it was fortunately backed by a massive advertising campaign. It was listed as one of "The Fifty Worst Movies of All Time" in Harry Medved's book - published two years later - but I think he was looking for a current day film to pillory. I liked it more when I was a kid too - and would give it the same rating as you did. It's not a bad film at all. Seems like a lot of 1970s horror was frowned upon on release - ie, The Exorcist - in a knee-jerk manner.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Yelena (To Natasha) You are such a poser.

Marvel's Black Widow (2021)
-+++ Today, in the prime format for such a film, I went to the local mainstream movie theater and experienced this warmhearted, delicate, slice of life; of a subdued, docile Russian family with. . . well, okay, the occasional disturbance of the peace. What one may concur, if one was of the mind, to classify as a tad, dare I say -- conflict(ish)?
But. Hey, What family doesn't? Am I right?

Working the bill of both a side/solitary story occurring between Captain America: Civil War (2016) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018), we have a past debt to settle intertwined with an introduction to the Super Hero family of Natasha Romanov. Her scientific mother, Melina (Rachel Weisz), the simple muscle father, Alexi (David Harbour), and the little sister, now a deadly assassin, Yelena (Florence Pugh).
Yelena herself having an introductory role as a likely new character to future Marvel endeavors. Which I think is pretty f@ckin awesome considering how much I loved her persona and her interaction with Natasha and their estranged "family." The dynamic being a strong favorite of my viewing. Giving me a very entertaining "heart" to this Action Film with Espionage nuances. Their family sit down to eat, drink vodka and grumble with each other being one of my favorite scenes.

Said 'heart" being cohesive that endears so many of these Marvel films beyond mere popcorn-munching eye candy of explosives, shoot-outs, assortments of chases, and narrowing action scenes.
In fact, I enjoyed the Romanov "family's" storyline so much; I even got a little weepy at some of the more sentimental scenes. It was a lovely thing.

I'll be adding this one to my collection of specific favorites of Marvel to rewatch and be entertained by.

Black Widow (2021)

Yeah I don't get why Disney didn't just give this away for free. Black Widow feels like Falcon and the Winter Soldier except not as good because the best parts (Florence Pugh, Dave Harbour, and Rachel Weitz) are all really cool and interesting characters who are saddled with a bored widow ScarJo, a third act deux ex machina and another walking not talking toy in TaskMaster.

This is the worst looking Marvel film ever released...it's basically a Fast and Furious film except it looks worse at points. This "film" is just littered with wasted potential...I almost wish Loki had been a two movie and this had been a six hour mini-series. Plus they wasted what could have been a top tier level bad guy which is unforgivable.

seriously black widow is like one of the good marvel movies, to me i loved it, been fan of Scarlett Johansson for long time

Brothers by Blood (2021)

Despite having 2 good leading actors in it this is really quite boring and lacks spark. There's an "apple doesn't fall too far from the tree" aspect that is shown in flashbacks which is interesting. The characters, though, are too one dimensional. Was surprised to see this was adapted from a novel as the dialogue is very leaden and none of the leads is properly fleshed out.