Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bacurau (2019)

I didn't know anything about it going in but I thought it would be awesome and it was. I don't know what to say without giving something away. Maybe picture if John Carpenter made a Brazilian action thriller. The story turns out to be not so original, but it's presented in an original manner.
I really enjoyed it and agree on the solid presentation.

Just personally, I was kind of hoping for
WARNING: spoilers below
something more supernatural or sci-fi
, but that's just personal preference.

Not an anti-hero take at all, but I really like the Holmes presented in Laurie King's Mary Russell book series (starting with The Beekeeper's Apprentice) and also Michael Chabon's The Final Solution. I liked Ian McKellan's portrayal in Mr. Holmes

I'm not sure that I'd like a full-on anti-hero take on the character. To me, the great tension in his stories comes from the friction of living in a world where he is more perceptive than everyone else and largely lacking in true peers, and sometimes the frustration of not having enough facts at hand to make reasonable deductions. The character is isolated by his intelligence and quirks, and I enjoy more complex portrayals that explore his loneliness, frustration, and impatience. But if he were to turn sort of evil or intentionally harm others or something I don't think I'd be into it.
Well, let’s not forget ‘antihero’ equals not ‘villain’ - not at all. So him being an antihero would not involve harming others or anything remotely similar. But I almost like your take more.

I think if he were a genius using his mind to do good (well, solve crimes), and at the same time were a brooding, misanthropic figure and an addict in his private life (which in my view is how the books present it, and the addiction is not explored enough) that would work just fine for me.

The first is another one of those movies I couldn't finish. This time, it was because I kept thinking what I would do in that position. None of my ideas involved sitting around the house trying to be quiet.
I finished it mainly because it was my first theater outing in a long time and I didn't to squander it, but, yeah, I was underwhelmed. I really groaned when the end of the movie set up the third episode.

The first is another one of those movies I couldn't finish. This time, it was because I kept thinking what I would do in that position. None of my ideas involved sitting around the house trying to be quiet.
I have to give it to them that it’s very tense, which is hard to achieve. But I was underwhelmed too.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen this movie all the way through, which seems odd. McGregor extremely charismatic in his first movie rôle. Flagged a bit toward the end (or maybe my interest flagged), but a very good movie overall.

Censor, 2021 (A)

In the era of video nasties, a censor finds herself troubled after her parents bring her an in-absentia death certificate of her sister who vanished when she was a girl.

It's great. The violence isn't the over-the-top stuff you'd expect in a slasher, even though you see a lot of old, video-nasties type violence. The film goes by real fast. It feels much shorter than it is. It's a slow-burn, with a little happening for most of it. Like a faster paced Berberian Sound Studio. Because of that, it's hard to talk about what's happening without spoiling everything, but it's an interesting criticism of the panic around violent movies from back then.

Strong recommendation.

Censor, 2021 (A)

In the era of video nasties, a censor finds herself troubled after her parents bring her an in-absentia death certificate of her sister who vanished when she was a girl.

It's great. The violence isn't the over-the-top stuff you'd expect in a slasher, even though you see a lot of old, video-nasties type violence. The film goes by real fast. It feels much shorter than it is. It's a slow-burn, with a little happening for most of it. Like a faster paced Berberian Sound Studio. Because of that, it's hard to talk about what's happening without spoiling everything, but it's an interesting criticism of the panic around violent movies from back then.

Strong recommendation.
On watchlist now.

Well, let’s not forget ‘antihero’ equals not ‘villain’ - not at all. So him being an antihero would not involve harming others or anything remotely similar. But I almost like your take more.

I think if he were a genius using his mind to do good (well, solve crimes), and at the same time were a brooding, misanthropic figure and an addict in his private life (which in my view is how the books present it, and the addiction is not explored enough) that would work just fine for me.
Have you watched any Elementary? Yeah, it's network TV. But I felt that the exploration of his addiction and how it intersects with the way his mind works was really well done.

Have you watched any Elementary? Yeah, it's network TV. But I felt that the exploration of his addiction and how it intersects with the way his mind works was really well done.
Nothing against network TV on my end! Haven’t seen that, but will definitely check out now.

I really enjoyed it and agree on the solid presentation.

Just personally, I was kind of hoping for
something more supernatural or sci-fi
, but that's just personal preference.
I thought that was a possibility but it's against my preference so was glad it didn't go that way.

Pygmalion, 1938

Phonetics expert Henry Higgins (Leslie Howard) has a chance encounter with Colonel Pickering (Scott Sunderland) while the former is out observing the speech of a crowd outside a theater in London. Both are amused by the mannerisms and speech of a flower girl, Eliza (Wendy Hiller), and the men form a wager revolving around Higgins teaching Eliza to speak properly and passing her off as high-class at a swanky function.

This was a really fun and enjoyable film with one major flaw (which I will get to later). To start with, the film captures the wit and charm of Shaw's play. The actors, and especially Howard and Hiller in the lead roles) find the rhythms and little asides of their characters, so that they feel at once larger-than-life and at the same time relatable and human.

For the most part, the film does a great job of exploring the idea of perception and human value. The premise of the original myth is, of course, pretty sexist to modern eyes. A man literally creates a woman he finds hot, then gets to marry her. The twist in Pygmalion (the play and sort of the movie), is that when Eliza becomes a "real" lady, she comes to a series of revelations about herself and the way that she is treated and perceived by others. In this way, the story pushes neatly back against the inherent sexism in the premise. It was also nice to see multiple characters (Pickering and Higgins' maid) articulating that his arrangement with Eliza could be considered exploitative and urging him to make sure she won't ultimately be harmed by his little experiment.

There is a line late in the film that made me worried. Eliza says, "The difference between a flower girl is the way she is treated." I was afraid that there was going to be more to that statement about women insisting on proper treatment, but there wasn't. It is not on Eliza to determine how she is treated--some people (like Pickering) treat people with kindness no matter what their social status. Importantly, Eliza's morals and behavior don't change. Her speech and manners are altered, and suddenly she is worthy of love and respect and attention. This reflects poorly on society, not on Eliza.

There's also an interesting class critique centered on Henry. Throughout the film, we see that Henry commits many sins of manners. He swears. He has a tendency to drop his hat wherever he wants. He is rude and abrupt. He wears his bedclothes around the house. And yet all this is waved away because of his social status. Just as Eliza is treated with suspicion and pity because of her way of speaking and behaving, Henry is afforded patience and tolerance because of his.

So here's the problem with the film, and it's kind of major. (SPOILERS for the end of Pygmalion)
Eliza realizes through the film that Henry has constantly objectified her and treated her as less than. No matter what she does or how she speaks, he will always regard her as being beneath him. In the play, she's had enough and she sweeps out, leaving him behind.

Oh, but the film can't resist a happy ending. Despite him articulating that he thinks everyone is beneath him (sort of? This is supposed to sound like some sort of equality, but clearly class has a lot to do with the way he lords himself over Eliza), Eliza comes back to him in the end . . . . because?

Listen, I loved the sparring between the two characters. But ultimately I did not believe that Eliza would choose to return to him. I could feel it coming in the last few minutes, but it simply did not feel right to me. Pickering would offer her respect. Freddy would offer her love. And Higgins offers her . . . what exactly?

The ending just didn't feel earned and it really bugged me. Eliza's series of revelations about herself and the way she is treated and her place in society were super compelling, and to end on such a false note was a let down.

A really fun adaptation of the play (aside from the ending).

I thought that was a possibility but it's against my preference so was glad it didn't go that way.
The detail of
the town no longer existing on Google Maps was such a spooky, weird touch.

And maybe part of my problem is that I've seen several "rich people hunting poor people for sport" films in the last few years that I was underwhelmed by that dynamic.

Like you say, it was all done really well. I just sort of wish the dynamic had been a bit different.

The detail of
the town no longer existing on Google Maps was such a spooky, weird touch.

And maybe part of my problem is that I've seen several "rich people hunting poor people for sport" films in the last few years that I was underwhelmed by that dynamic.

Like you say, it was all done really well. I just sort of wish the dynamic had been a bit different.
The map part was great, and at first I wondered if it was because they weren't really a town, but rather some kind of cult community that wasn't recognized. The unoriginal part of it was part of what prevented it from becoming a big favorite.

Victim of The Night
Also partly because of nostalgia, Jeremy Brett is "my" Sherlock Holmes. But when I revisit his work as the character, I really like the interpretation. I feel as though he embodies the restlessness of the character. I know this is dark, but Brett's portrayal makes you understand why the character would use drugs.
I also enjoyed his version.
I don't know if I have a personal favorite Holmes, honesty.

Victim of The Night
I tried an episode of that but couldn't, especially next to the BBC version that was going on.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I tried an episode of that but couldn't, especially next to the BBC version that was going on.
I would encourage you to give it another shot.

While I felt that the BBC version got increasingly cutesy (I watched the second season and couldn't take any more), the CBS version gets deeper and more complex as it goes. Holmes and Watson have interesting backstories that overlap in neat ways (thematically, not literally). I can't attest to the final seasons (I think I'm halfway through season 4?), but I feel like the first 3 are pretty solid.