Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976

Eastwood will forever be a badass. Movie was all you want out of an Eastwood western. Like most older movies I don't plan on revisiting it anytime soon but I sure do appreciate watching it. Eastwood just knows how to make a God damn Western. I wish someone would wise up and make one with his son Scott. Hell Eastwood should direct one with his son, that would be amazing. Looks just like him. This movie probably doesn't fly to great now a days as it shows sympathy towards the South during the Civil War even though in the end it feels neutral. Eastwood is great per usual. Just throw him in any Western and it automatically gets boosted up a point. I not sure what else to say it's Eastwood in a Western it's gold.

One of my favorites, I've probably seen this 20 times or more.

Victim of The Night

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54093390

Wind River - (2017)

Pretty solid murder mystery from Taylor Sheridan, set in the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming. A place where nobody is interested, and the FBI send one of their most inexperienced to solve a case where a multiple-rape victim was forced to flee and die in the snow. Cory Lambert (Jeremy Renner) is a hunter however, and lost his young daughter in similar circumstances. The two team up on an emotional journey. Highlights the plight of women on these reservations where hundreds of violent murders are barely investigated. Performances from Renner and Elizabeth Olsen make this better than the average take on hunting down rapists/murderers and the trauma they inflict on their communities.

7/10
I thought this was pretty strong and, having not seen The Hurt Locker, finally helped me understand why Jeremy Renner is considered good.

I thought this was pretty strong and, having not seen The Hurt Locker, finally helped me understand why Jeremy Renner is considered good.
I did not like Wind River, but The Hurt Locker is excellent.

Snooze factor =Zzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Victim of The Night
Yeah, considering how highly I thought of Zero Dark Thirty I should get on this.

Yeah, considering how highly I thought of Zero Dark Thirty I should get on this.
Not as good as Zero, but still a very good movie.

Wait, why didn't you like River?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
In the Heights (2021)

I probably shouldn't rate this, considering I mixed up the timings for the movie and arrived at the cinema late and missed the first half hour of the film. Having bought popcorn and drinks and seeing as there was still 2 hours of the movie to go, we decided to go in anyway. It really wasn't hard to catch up with what was going on, might have missed some good songs though. It was quite a fun movie, with a hopeful, summery feel to it and some catchy songs. A bit cheesy and sanitised, but it's just good to see that musicals are still being made.

LEVIATHAN
(1989, Cosmatos)
A film with a title that starts with the letters K or L

"Natura non confucius. Loosely translated: 'don't fu¢k with Mother Nature'."

Leviathan follows an underwater mining crew led by Beck. When they stumble upon a Soviet shipwreck carrying the creature, they start being hunted and killed by it. The crew includes Dr. Thompson, wannabe astronaut Willie (Amanda Pays), and a bunch of other body bags for the creature to consume (most notably Daniel Stern and Ernie Hudson).

Like its "predecessor", DeepStar Six, which follows a similar story and similar beats, Leviathan is plagued by a certain laziness and lack of effort from its screenwriters. Which is surprising, cause one of them co-wrote Die Hard and the other one co-wrote Blade Runner. But here? they just don't seem to care and borrow a lot from The Thing and Alien, and a bit from Jaws and Aliens, usually to the point of eye-rolling obviousness.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Wait, why didn't you like River?
Long time ago, haven’t a clue now. Most likely because I didn’t believe in the character(s). Always the kiss of death for me.

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, 2015

This documentary explores the questionable practices of the Church of Scientology through a mix of interviews with former members, archive footage, and information gleaned from government investigation and trial transcripts.

Almost all the way at the end of this film, someone asks one of the interview subjects a really important question: "So how is Scientology different from any other religion?". The question is really key because a lot of the basic facts regarding Scientology (belief in invisible/incorporeal beings, internal terminology, enforced hierarchies, and even behaviors like isolating people or physical abuse) are not at all exclusive to it.

This question about what makes Scientology different is what drives the film and it is ultimately what makes it so powerful and so damning. It would be incredibly easy to spend most of the documentary making fun of the beliefs of the church (and there are a few zingers, such as "So then why is Tom Cruise paying $1000 a session to have invisible aliens sucked out of his body?"), but if you're being honest, just about any religion could be mocked in this way.

As becomes really clear in the film, the problem isn't WHAT the Scientologists believe, it's how they go about practicing their religion and specifically the cruel, creepy, and abusive way they handle dissent from inside or outside their walls.

People who use their power/influence to harm others makes me incredibly angry, and what the documentary exposes is that doing such harm isn't just the act of a few radicals in the church--it's a practice that is built into the beliefs themselves. L. Ron Hubbard gives explicit directions about how to handle those who cross them, and the new generation of leadership in the church, specifically David Miscavige, really seem to lean into the controlling and exploitative elements.

I thought I had something of a grasp on the behavior of Scientologists, but, wow. What you see in the film goes way beyond. Men from the church spend years filming, stalking, and harassing the wife of a former member. (The smirking man filming her as she grows more and more upset is maybe the most punchable person I've seen in a movie lately). People are sent to the homes of former members' elderly parents. Since this documentary came out, Danny Masterson has been accused of sexual assault by multiple women who claimed that the church helped to shield him from investigations. Watching this film, those claims seem incredibly believable.

One of the grossest stories is about a young woman in the church who was given a makeover under the pretense that she was going to be an ambassador for the church. Unbeknownst to her, she was being groomed to be Tom Cruise's next girlfriend because he'd just broken up with Nicole Kidman. The line "her hair was cut and styled to Tom's preference" is just cringe-inducing.

I had also not realized the extent of the implications of the church's tax-exempt status. While most of what I've read about that legal battle talks about the money implications (because the church is worth billions of dollars). But what surprised me were the revelations about the other legal benefits of being recognized as a religion. The church can have people doing labor for $0.40 an hour and it's fine. They are totally able to dodge child labor and human trafficking laws. When they harass or stalk former members, it can fall under first amendment protections.

This movie made me all kinds of angry. And shame on all of the celebrities (especially Tom Cruise) who lend their high profile to furthering the abusive and exploitative practices of this group.

Alone (2007) - 5.5/10. A decent Thai horror flick. Does create a spooky atmosphere. And some good scenes. Decent plot. Just s good one time watch.

In the Heights (2021)

I probably shouldn't rate this, considering I mixed up the timings for the movie and arrived at the cinema late and missed the first half hour of the film. Having bought popcorn and drinks and seeing as there was still 2 hours of the movie to go, we decided to go in anyway. It really wasn't hard to catch up with what was going on, might have missed some good songs though. It was quite a fun movie, with a hopeful, summery feel to it and some catchy songs. A bit cheesy and sanitised, but it's just good to see that musicals are still being made.

Sounds like you missed the opening number, which was incredible!

I'm not doing noir tonight, but Hitchcock. It's The Rear Window, a high-color, brightly lit, anti-noir movie. It's really quite a period piece. It has James Stewart being, well, James Stewart and Grace Kelly, before she became a princess in Monte Carlo. It's really a quiet movie, with little soundtrack music other than an across-the-alley pianist practicing, the music echoing across the alley. Dialog is quiet and action is nearly nil because Stewart's character, a news photog, is laid up with a broken leg, watching his neighbors out of the rear window of an apartment in "The City". Murder is afoot. Raymond Burr, who is NOT Perry Mason yet, did it. This really is good.

A brilliant film with zero flaws. Hitchcock's work is constantly being re-evaluated every 10 years or so, claiming one or other of his films to be the best. Rear Window is definitely in his top 5. Perhaps his most suspenseful film, the Master of Suspense let it all out here!

Victim of The Night
LEVIATHAN
(1989, Cosmatos)
A film with a title that starts with the letters K or L

Leviathan follows an underwater mining crew led by Beck. When they stumble upon a Soviet shipwreck carrying the creature, they start being hunted and killed by it. The crew includes Dr. Thompson, wannabe astronaut Willie (Amanda Pays), and a bunch of other body bags for the creature to consume (most notably Daniel Stern and Ernie Hudson).

Like its "predecessor", DeepStar Six, which follows a similar story and similar beats, Leviathan is plagued by a certain laziness and lack of effort from its screenwriters. Which is surprising, cause one of them co-wrote Die Hard and the other one co-wrote Blade Runner. But here? they just don't seem to care and borrow a lot from The Thing and Alien, and a bit from Jaws and Aliens, usually to the point of eye-rolling obviousness.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot
Honestly, when I saw it, I suspected a lot of studio-interference. Lots of "notes".

Victim of The Night
Long time ago, haven’t a clue now. Most likely because I didn’t believe in the character(s). Always the kiss of death for me.
Oh man, I was so totally invested in the characters. Every one of them. Renner, Olsen, the great Graham Greene, Gil Birmingham as Martin kinda broke my heart, I liked Bernthal as Matt... man, I was engaged intensely in this film and, considering there isn't much action, it was all because of the characters.