Do movies teach stereotypes?

Tools    

I really do not understand for the life of me. Surely by tagging you make sure the people mentioned have an opportunity to get involved, rather than being talked about unbeknownst to them?
Yes, it’s very confusing. Even more confusing is when someone gets angry on Twitter when they’ve been tagged.

Another confusing twitter thing is when one replies to someone’s tweet & they get upset because you’ve responded to their tweet. Like, what is the point of tweeting if you don’t want responses? Plus, they have the option of privatizing their tweets if they want to.

I think most of us have said most of what we want. But I think I will take you up on that PM thing, @Takoma11, since the last reply befuddled me a little and I'd already written most of a reply before the "I'm out" post. I'll fire something off a bit later, but no rush.

Anyway, I'll follow that lead and roughly summarize the key points I either wanted to make or didn't quite get a chance to, hopefully in a way that doesn't feel like trying to get the last word in or leave anyone feeling obligated to rebut (though it's fine if someone wants to):
1) Obviously the legacy of racism can't hold a candle to subtle shifts in representation, but the gulf between the two is precisely why putting them in the same category makes so little sense. It cannot be deeply important on one side but meaningless on the other. And since we all seem to agree that lip service on these serious matters is bad, I'd like to submit that things like this are actually a net negative.

2) It's either a genuine misunderstanding or else disingenuous to act as if these things exist in a vacuum. By itself representation in commercials is insignificant, but it should be obvious people are not that worked up over the thing itself: they know that symbols matter (both as indicator and cause), and they know that ideas have trajectories. They know that ideological claims without limiting principles will escalate until they hit some unreasonable point. Notice this point explains the dissonance in point #1.

3) This disagreement actually starts out as a compliment: I really appreciate it when someone acknowledges trade offs. Most people try to sell their preferred policy as all upside, so to hear someone say "if doing X means Y gets treated unfairly, so be it, that cost is worth it" is a form of intellectual bravery we need so, so much more of.

That said, I disagree with the "if some white men lose <whatever>...it's worth it" sentiment, on two fronts. First, I disagree factually, because we already see these principles negatively affecting Asian-Americans, which is particularly galling to see alongside the current focus on anti-Asian hate. Second, I disagree ideologically with the idea of "overcorrecting" on something as fundamental as equality. Equality is an important and sacred idea, and we surrender its moral authority to aim for anything other than that. To aim past it is to concede that it is not a true standard, but just another knob to turn. This adds a clear layer of subjectivity onto already difficult matters and gives people a way to fight equality without even having to disagree with the underlying principle.
Even though this seems a bit wordy, it's maybe half the length I feel is required to fully flesh out the underlying ideas (particularly the last paragraph), so it's reasonable to require some unpacking. But, as alluded to above, maybe better via PM. Please feel free. And I'll echo everything Takoma said re: go ahead and ask if I've missed anything anyone feels is important.

He’s a ‘man’ because at the time of writing he seemed a bit older to me in my mind and I hadn’t, if you like, ‘got on board’ with him being 18. Adolescent, dear God. Don’t see the big deal. I will admit I find all this ‘young womanning’ of 17-year old females a bit funny, but that’s neither here nor there. I’m also aware, from personal experience, that should anyone do the opposite, i.e. call the male ‘a boy’ in this context, you’re accused of letting him off the hook even more.
I just think it needs to be consistent. If someone as a 17 year old should be given benefit of the doubt for her actions because of her age, then someone as an 18 year old should probably be given the same benefit of the doubt (especially since he did a thing once and she did it many, many times). So either she's a woman and he's a man and we act like they were (young) adults, or she's a girl and he's a boy and we think of them as inexperienced youths.

I accept the rest of your points but don’t see the benefit of explaining why I see the difference.

I appreciate your desire to leave the thing there and I’m generally doing the same myself.
That's fine. "Agree to disagree" is a perfectly okay place to leave this conversation. Like I said, it's made me think more deeply about things. Even when you don't change your mind in a conversation like this, I think it's beneficial to be forced to examine your own reasoning.

As ever, hope it didn’t seem too inflammatory to you and I have tried my best to keep the thread (which I’m now for some reason being held responsible for the entirety of) objective (or admit when the points I’m making aren’t) and to ensure you personally or anyone else didn’t feel attacked by me. That’s that.
Nah. And now you know how I felt in the feminism thread!

(Seriously, getting replies from like 4 or 5 people at once is head-spinning).

Getting no replies is much worse.

That's fine. "Agree to disagree" is a perfectly okay place to leave this conversation. Like I said, it's made me think more deeply about things. Even when you don't change your mind in a conversation like this, I think it's beneficial to be forced to examine your own reasoning.
Indeed.

Nah. And now you know how I felt in the feminism thread!
To be honest, that wasn’t the problem for me. I mostly handled it and didn’t confuse anyone except once, which I rectified. It wasn’t about ‘overwhelming’ but about isolating and very disheartening. It’s actually incredible how much it’s affected my last few days. It is definitely useful to re-examine why you think what you think, but also it’s exhausting that no one explains why going against the grain is ‘inappropriate’. Sometimes I feel completely isolated, and it has everything to do with film as well as it’s so very hard to find something to watch that I’ll really love.

The truly isolating and scary thing is when no one seems to relate to what you’re saying at all, let alone agree, except the three people whose contribution I value very much.

Anyway, I had long suspected something was off in the way I see, or at least articulate it to myself. But all the shrinks have told me I’m saner than they are (which is a bit of a conundrum). Anyway, I’ll probably try to stay out of such threads in future.

Trouble with a capital "T"
The most eye opening thread I've ever read was on MoFo. It was posted by a teacher who was looking for movies to show his students. The thread title was: "Interesting scenes to teach body language and communication skills"

His first post described the teaching project. Then later he posted a follow up on how his students reacted.

1st post
Hi everyone!

As a teacher and a movie lover, I have found a great activity, and I hope you will help me prepare it. For that, I need a list of great movie scenes that children can understand even without understanding the language. This is to teach them about non-verbal communication.

Here is a little description of the activity. We are going to watch the clips together, and they will have to pick up on the body language and the situation, to try and decide what it was all about and discuss it together. Then, they will do the scenes themselves using their own dialogues, and maybe a few props.

Of course, I would like the scenes to be visually interesting, and to make them want to know more about the movie in question. They should be well directed so that the body language can be easily read, or at least the context should be clear enough that the kids can understand what is going on.

I would also like to have a great variety of scenes from many genres (humour, drama, horror, etc...) and languages (Russian, English, Japanese ... anything but French, which is their mother tongue)...
Follow up post
So, as promised, I thought I'd give you an update on how it went.

I did not actually host the activity myself, but I had prepared it for a collegue of mine. I had compiled a dozen clips for her to choose from, and those were the three she selected :

I think it was a good selection. I love that she chose the Boyhood scene, because the kids were there to prepare themselves for secondary school. Sort of a one-week summer camp about growing up, if you will.
I had selected the Limits of Control bit, because its director Jim Jarmush has stated in interviews that he likes to watch foreign movies without subtitles, which is exactly what we were doing during this activity. It's a bit meta, but I like it, and I'm happy that my collegue chose it.

But enough about the preparation. The activity itself went very well. The kids picked up on many interresting details, and were really concentrated on body language. They were happy to recreate the dialogues in their language and to roleplay the scenes. It made them aware of their own body while playing, and also to the non-verbal cues of the characters on screen.

For the most part, they were not really far from the truth ... except when they were not! I'd like to give you an example :

After watching the Boyhood bit, the kids thought Mason was coming back from work. I don't know why, but they couldn't just believe he was coming home after a party. But when we showed the scene again, and after it was made clear that he was partying, they went on believing the party took place after his work, and to preserve the coherence of this interpretation, they all agreed that Mason was actually much older than he looked.

I find it fascinating how they struggled to maintain the coherence of their false interpretation by adding more and more details that they fiercly believed, instead of dropping the first erroneous assertion about going home from work. I think it's a very human thing to do, and as a teacher I am aware that learning always involves the difficult rupture of previously held beliefs...

I learned something important from those two post: that humans have a great need to facilitate their truths by creating their own narrative. They will defend that narrative even when logical arguments are presented. I think this self fulling narrative tendency is the root of most problems through out history. Just try arguing with someone who believes an extreme conspiracy theory, there's just no way to get through to them...because they need to believe it and so refuse to have an open mind. Which describes humanity in general.

The most eye opening thread I've ever read was on MoFo. It was posted by a teacher who was looking for movies to show his students. The thread title was: "Interesting scenes to teach body language and communication skills"

His first post described the teaching project. Then later he posted a follow up on how his students reacted.

1st post

Follow up post

I learned something important from those two post: that humans have a great need to facilitate their truths by creating their own narrative. They will defend that narrative even when logical arguments are presented. I think this self fulling narrative tendency is the root of most problems through out history. Just try arguing with someone who believes an extreme conspiracy theory, there's just no way to get through to them...because they need to believe it and so refuse to have an open mind. Which describes humanity in general.
Yeah, that’s fascinating and scary. Also kind of depressing, but ‘opening’ your mind is painful and kind of futile anyway, so I think you’re right, that does apply to humanity in general. Thanks for sharing this, eye-opening to me, too, for sure.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Yeah, that’s fascinating and scary. Also kind of depressing, but ‘opening’ your mind is painful and kind of futile anyway, so I think you’re right, that does apply to humanity in general. Thanks for sharing this, eye-opening to me, too, for sure.
I'm glad someone else was interested in it. I saved that thread as soon as I seen it, which was years ago. I've told people in RL about it too. Usually no one ever thinks much about it, but I do think about it from time to time.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Look, obviously no amount of explaining is gonna make sense if it doesn't already. I can only rephrase or repeat: it's kind of like being called out. Think of it more like having a loud argument in public and then yelling "HEY BRAD. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?" You presumably understand why someone might not like that. This is kind of like that, or at least can be like that. And yes, some people would prefer not to dive into an argument even if they're mentioned in passing during it.

Also, in some of these examples people are not being talked about, but are brought in anyway, in which case it should be even more obvious why they might object.

This is pretty digressive, though, if people want to discuss it let's do it elsewhere.

I see that there's kinda a debate within this thread about the proper way to quote people or call them out, but overall I think people should just acknowledge a smidget of responsibility for the way people use what they say on the internet. I think were all adults here...I haven't been the least bit offended of how this conversation has carried on. I guess you can always close the thread if you think its gotten to redic. However, I think we should all be grateful that there hasn't been any flaming going on here, we are like...lightyears ahead of Twitter and Reddit

As a point of general tact, something that is more detrimental to productive discussion than pinging (which was merely a mild annoyance in that specific context) would be a certain tendency to apply an appeal to extremes in an interlocutor's position, something that has been a pattern in a number of posts. For example, if I suggest that the larger a film's budget will obligate broader marketing considerations that will compromise a creator's vision, this is read as my wanting to "ban big budgets". Or if I point out that I'm not personally concerned with the artistic integrity of such broadly marketed big budget films, this reads as my wanting to "obliterate" their existence.

This kind of fallacy is endemic in online discourse, and contributes to a lot of the antagonism and bad faith that escalates, rather than clarifies, the argumentative tension. It's so endemic that I think many people aren't consiously aware when they're employing it. I would suggest being more mindful of avoiding such ungenerous hyperbolic inferences. Just a consideration....

You see, even your message above, though ostensibly well-phrased (which it is) and neutral, gives off an air of arrogance to me.

My job is to analyse language, and even it it is suggested that I misunderstand or misconstrue again, the fact that it reads that way to me indicates that it can, indeed, be interpreted that way.

The message, the very text gives instructions
and advice, unsolicited: that, in itself, many would call ‘bad manners’ in real life. I would argue that it’s best to be very cautious about ‘We should’ and ‘I would suggest’, as in one of the comments I did, indeed, single out in the thread itself (my ‘Who is this “we”?’ question went unanswered), are all expressions that give the utterer an air of moral authority - unwarranted.

We all knew this was coming: do you understand?

But of course, ultimately, what this indicates is it is pointless to attempt to conform to someone else’s idea of what appropriate discourse is, as this is far less obvious and universally accepted than it can seem.

the fact that it reads that way to me indicates that it can, indeed, be interpreted that way.
Charles Manson interpreted the White Album as a commandment to start a race war. Maybe all interpetations are not equally valid?

There is an accepted method of logical discourse that identifies a number of fallacies to avoid. I merely pointed out one of them, mate.

Charles Manson interpreted the White Album as a commandment to start a race war.
....would be a certain tendency to apply an appeal to extremes.... I would suggest being more mindful of avoiding such ungenerous hyperbolic inferences. Just a consideration....
No comment.

That wasn't an inference. I'm not inferring that you're Charles Manson. I'm illustrating that "the fact that it reads that way to me indicates that it can, indeed, be interpreted that way" is a specious excuse for your inference.

That wasn't an inference. I'm not inferring that you're Charles Manson. I'm illustrating that "the fact that it reads that way to me indicates that it can, indeed, be interpreted that way" is a specious inference on your part.
Oh, well, keep the first bit about ‘[appeals] to extremes’.

And by the way, I have not made a single excuse.

Oh, well, keep the first bit about ‘[appeals] to extremes’.
Yeah, it's not that either. It's just an example that one's interpretation, being possible, does not give that interpretation any inherent validity in itself.

You've been inferring a lot of personal attacks in my posts that simply aren't evident in the text. Above, I pointed out one example of a less-than-generous inference you've made in the thread. I didn't imply a motive for this misunderstanding. Rather than acknowledge this mistake, you've continued to infer a personal attack being made against you. Maybe you'll also find a way to turn this explanation into a personal attack as well. It's not. It's clarifying that you've made some ungenerous inferences throughout the thread, which can be quoted and identified. It's evident in black and white text.

Yeah, it's not that either. It's just an example that one's interpretation, being possible, does not give that interpretation any inherent validity in itself.

You've been inferring a lot of personal attacks in my posts that simply aren't evident in the text. Above, I pointed out one example of a less-than-generous inference you've made in the thread. I didn't imply a motive for this misunderstanding. Rather than acknowledge this mistake, you've continued to infer a personal attack being made against you. Maybe you'll also find a way to turn this explanation into a personal attack as well. It's not. It's clarifying that you've made some ungenerous inferences throughout the thread, which can be quoted and identified. It's evident in black and white text.
All of which means the whole thing has been and is about personal attacks, rather than genuine debate.