Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

This is the thread where we confront our childhood traumas, right? Just clarifying.
But only when they naturally flow from a Crumbsroom review.

*crosses fingers* C'mon Old Yeller!

But only when they naturally flow from a Crumbsroom review.

*crosses fingers* C'mon Old Yeller!

I've never seen Old Yeller

I also need to see Snuff, so that I can join in the Trauma party.

Having someone hand me a copy of Cannibal Holocaust, having absolutely no idea what it was, was up there. I didn't know people would do such things. I just....didn't know.

Also watching Bloodsucking Freaks with two separate girlfriends, both who immediately were disgusted with me for owning it (maybe an earned reaction) was also pretty humbling. Along with the Forced Entry horror show, it seems I just need to stop letting people in real life know what kind of garbage I put into my brain. They make me feel rightfully horrified by myself.

The trick is not minding
I've never seen Old Yeller

Having someone hand me a copy of Cannibal Holocaust, having absolutely no idea what it was, was up there. I didn't know people would do such things. I just....didn't know.

Also watching Bloodsucking Freaks with two separate girlfriends, both who immediately were disgusted with me for owning it (maybe an earned reaction) was also pretty humbling. Along with the Forced Entry horror show. It seems I just need to stop letting people in real life know what kind of garbage I put into my brain. They make me feel rightfully horrified by myself.
Has Travis Bickle taught us nothing?

I managed to find it somewhere a few years ago and watched the scene in question, just to confront my demons, and I can't imagine it would traumatize anybody with a brain at this point. Hard to believe so many were fooled into thinking that was real.

Also watching Bloodsucking Freaks with two separate girlfriends, both who immediately were disgusted with me for owning it (maybe an earned reaction) was also pretty humbling.
Just took a look at the "parental guide" on IMDB and....wow. And you showed it to TWO girlfriends, you say?

I managed to find it somewhere a few years ago and watched the scene in question, just to confront my demons, and I can't imagine it would traumatize anybody with a brain at this point. Hard to believe so many were fooled into thinking that was real.

Just took a look at the "parental guide" on IMDB and....wow. And you showed it to TWO girlfriends, you say?

I rented it with the first girlfriend. I knew of its reputation, but didn't know exactly how far it would go. Not a great experience, but not nearly as bad as the second.

In my defense, the second demanded to watch it. Deep into her women's studies at college, she wanted to see what this unbearably misogynistic movie I had told her I had looked like. I warned her she wouldn't like it. Like really really not like it. She continued to demand, so I put it on. About fifteen minutes in she was crying. I kept getting up to turn it off, but she refused to let me. So I had to watch the whole ****ing thing while she was sobbing next to me. And at that point, what good are my larger excuses as to why I watch these things? There was no way I was going to RT ramble my way out of that one

Yeah, it was lots of fun. Thanks, Sardu the Torturer.

In fairness to Bloodsucking Freaks, it's pretty obviously a satire of movie violence and the critical approval they seek to legitimize their behavior. But it makes a very bad case, sort of like Cannibal Holocaust, and so your mostly left with three or four astonishingly unpleasant scenes without much justification, but also some padding that is kind of legitimatley funny, if you can take the satire at all seriously.

I still have a deformed sense of appreciation for it. But, let it be known, it is pretty reprehensible at times. Never have completely unconvincing special effects been more disturbingly used.

I rented it with the first girlfriend. I knew of its reputation, but didn't know exactly how far it would go. Not a great experience, but not nearly as bad as the second.

In my defense, the second demanded to watch it. Deep into her women's studies at college, she wanted to see what this unbearably misogynistic movie I had told her I had looked like. I warned her she wouldn't like it. Like really really not like it. She continued to demand, so I put it on. About fifteen minutes in she was crying. I kept getting up to turn it off, but she refused to let me. So I had to watch the whole ****ing thing while she was sobbing next to me. And at that point, what good are my larger excuses as to why I watch these things? There was no way I was going to RT ramble my way out of that one

Did you finish your viewing with a smug "I told you so"?

Obviously, I am popular with the ladies.

I unapologetically love Bloodsucking Freaks. Recently, I added it to some kind of "horror canon" we were compiling in a Facebook group, because I found the list to be "too classy" up to that point.

I never showed it to a girlfriend though. Sounds like an interesting experiment...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I unapologetically love Bloodsucking Freaks. Recently, I added it to some kind of "horror canon" we were compiling in a Facebook group, because I found the list to be "too classy" up to that point.

I never showed it to a girlfriend though. Sounds like an interesting experiment...
Not for very long.

Victim of The Night
In fairness to Bloodsucking Freaks, it's pretty obviously a satire of movie violence and the critical approval they seek to legitimize their behavior. But it makes a very bad case, sort of like Cannibal Holocaust, and so your mostly left with three or four astonishingly unpleasant scenes without much justification, but also some padding that is kind of legitimatley funny, if you can take the satire at all seriously.

I still have a deformed sense of appreciation for it. But, let it be known, it is pretty reprehensible at times. Never have completely unconvincing special effects been more disturbingly used.
I have actually owned Blood Sucking Freaks on DVD for like 12 or 13 years now and not watched it. I bought it because we somehow had it on VHS when I was a teenager in the 80s, though I think I only saw it once and I'm not sure I saw it all the way through.
But someone told me, after I'd acquired the DVD, that BSF was irredeemable garbage and I would just be wasting my time revisiting it so I never did. It's sitting in a little basket in my entertainment center.

I had a funny reaction to Cannibal Holocaust, maybe just because I said I would never see it and because it's reputation is so strong, but it actually didn't bother me that much and I actually kinda liked it. I mean, I hated the animal mutilation bits and I mostly skipped them but that was really just a few seconds of the movie. The rest, I thought it was pretty committed to trying to credibly create this f#cked-up nightmare of a scenario and I thought, given the context of the time, it succeeded. The wraparound didn't do much for me, but that's not really why one watches that movie..

Jesus, that's brutal. Yikes

I can't even remember what I said once I took my hands away from my face (I think they remained there upwards of a week, a difficult affectation to explain to coworkers).

In retrospect, now realizing that she was ultimately not a very nice person, I probably shouldn't have let the situation bother me as much as it did.

Regardless, it's still quality cinema provocation, at least for those who prefer their dwarves wearing overalls, and armed with blow guns.

It's a refined taste. Like a moldy old Gorgonzola one might find in the trash. Beneath some uncooked meat. Inside a hospital bin labelled 'soiled undergarments'. You just need to find the right kind of cracker to smear it on, and it appears we are exactly those type of crackers.

But someone told me, after I'd acquired the DVD, that BSF was irredeemable garbage and I would just be wasting my time revisiting it so I never did. It's sitting in a little basket in my entertainment center.

Ah yes, the terror of other peoples opinions. Just to think of all the joys I would have missed if I had ever bothered listening to such things.

As for Cannibal Holocaust, simply couldn't get past the animal stuff. It quickly became pretty non-negotiable for me. I remember running into the guy who gave it to us at some party and yelling at him. But, then again, yelling at people at parties was just kind of my thing at that age, so he just laughed through the entirity of my rant. Then probably lent me another movie.

Victim of The Night
Ah yes, the terror of other peoples opinions. Just to think of all the joys I would have missed if I had ever bothered listening to such things.

As for Cannibal Holocaust, simply couldn't get past the animal stuff. It quickly became pretty non-negotiable for me. I remember running into the guy who gave it to us at some party and yelling at him. But, then again, yelling at people at parties was just kind of my thing at that age, so he just laughed through the entirity of my rant. Then probably lent me another movie.
Well, I'm funny about certain things (as we all are) and for me the greatest crime that can be committed against me is to waste my time. As a scientist, I look for evidence that things are true or are not. And in Science, "Expert Opinion" is considered a form of evidence. So if people who I consider to be "expert" movie-viewers tell me something is garbage, I will take that as a form of evidence and save my 90 minutes for a more valuable experience.
Though I must admit, I am a firm believer that one must experience bad to truly understand good.

I got past the animal stuff by just clicking the FF button. I saw like one or two seconds of it in the whole movie. I liked the rest.

I was hitting ALT+TAB pretty hard when I watched Cannibal Holocaust. Last Cannibal World is probably the only cannibal movie I "liked", and that's still a pretty unpleasant watch for the same reasons.