Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I liked this movie a lot when I was a teenager but I haven't seen it since.
I guess all I can say about it is... How do you like your eggs?
Garner is great in that scene. As he was in all his other scenes. Field just doesn't measure up. How could she? So the whole romance part of Murphy's Romance didn't exactly work for me. That being said, if you want to watch a winning, mature leading man performance then by all means watch this. The man could school most of the guys attempting the same thing and maybe that was the whole point of the movie. If so, mission accomplished.

I haven't seen Dirty Dancing. I've been in rooms where it's on the television many times, but my back was usually turned. Sadly, I don't think that counts, no matter how many times my mother squealed 'hes so gorgeous'. That was only the sound of Patrick Swayze taking off his shirt. Again and again and again.

the father is my favorite character in the movie. Because he is wrong. And then he says, "When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong." Even now, that chokes me up because it is the moment that I realized that adults could have depth and be real thinking learning people instead of stupid aliens bent on ruining everything.
I think that the movie has a lot of people who are decent human beings, but still have flaws and are capable of growth. The easy relationship between the girls and their parents is really nicely done.

Victim of The Night
Garner is great in that scene. As he was in all his other scenes. Field just doesn't measure up. How could she? So the whole romance part of Murphy's Romance didn't exactly work for me. That being said, if you want to watch a winning, mature leading man performance then by all means watch this. The man could school most of the guys attempting the same thing and maybe that was the whole point of the movie. If so, mission accomplished.
Well, I always liked Sally Field. I liked her in Smokey and the Bandit and I liked her in Norma Rae and I liked her in Absence of Malice and Kiss Me Goodbye and Places In The Heart, and yeah, I liked her in Murphy's Romance, too. It is what it is.

Mon Oncle Antoine - Canadian feature from 1971 and directed by Claude Jutra who also costars as Fernand, a clerk in the store run by the titular character. The film is ostensibly a coming of age story centered around Benoit, a young teenager working at his Uncle's general store at Christmastime. It's the nexus of a small Quebec town that owes it's existence to a local asbestos mine. It does take it's time getting to the crux of Benoit's story and spends the first half or so introducing and setting up the various characters that will play a part in his abrupt and unexpected introduction to adulthood. It's a nostalgic, meandering and ultimately melancholy journey but it's also considered the best Canadian film ever made. I'll have to do some research and ponder on that. 80/100

Aha! I don't believe I ever saw that version. That must be what Thief was referring to.
Yeah, I've seen both so I got them mixed up.

Well, I always liked Sally Field. I liked her in Smokey and the Bandit and I liked her in Norma Rae and I liked her in Absence of Malice and Kiss Me Goodbye and Places In The Heart, and yeah, I liked her in Murphy's Romance, too. It is what it is.
What, is the Flying Nun chopped liver? Sister Bertrille never asked for that mantle. It was thrust upon her.

EDIT: JK. Sally Field is a perfectly fine actress.

I haven't seen Dirty Dancing. I've been in rooms where it's on the television many times, but my back was usually turned. Sadly, I don't think that counts, no matter how many times my mother squealed 'hes so gorgeous'. That was only the sound of Patrick Swayze taking off his shirt. Again and again and again.
How does your mother feel about Point Break?

The Killing of a Sacred Deer, 2017

There's a right way to do mannered, weird, and ambiguous and a wrong way to do mannered, weird, and ambiguous. Lanthimos consistently manages to land on the right side of that line, even if this one didn't speak to me as strongly as his other film I've seen, Dogtooth.

Heart surgeon Steven (Colin Farrell) seems to have a pretty great life. He has a good career, an accomplished wife (Nicole Kidman) and two nice-enough kids. From the very beginning of the film we see that Steven has a strange relationship with a teenage boy named Martin (Barry Keoghan). Martin has an off-kilter element to him that puts their scenes on an edge, and Steven's undercurrent of discomfort raises the question of the nature of their relationship. When we finally do learn what is at play, it has serious consequences for Steven and his family.

To start at the ending, I was kind of underwhelmed with the very last act of the film. Maybe even just the very last 10 minutes. Somehow it didn't really cohere for me in a thematic sense, and even from a stylistic sense it was only sort of satisfying. But it's hard to mind all that much because the journey to the finish line was pretty fantastic.

Everything in this film is wrong. Just a few degrees off of what it should be. The camera retreats from two characters about 10 feet further back than one senses it should be as it tracks them down a hallway. The dialogue sounds like something an artificial intelligence machine would create in an attempt to mimic human dialogue ("Your son tells me that you have a lot of hair under your arms."). And it is much to the credit of the actors (especially Farrell) that they seem to have this bizarro cadence well under control.

At some level, this is a movie that defies any need for theme or story arc, simply because of how strongly it grasps its tone of dark humor. It's one thing to watch a man drop a sick child repeatedly to test whether or not he is faking. But around the time
WARNING: spoilers below
Steven's paralyzed son was dragging himself across the kitchen floor and cheerily exclaiming "I'll go water the plants now!"
I was laughing out loud. Many reviews and sites like IMDb refer to this film as a thriller or a horror. But, I'm sorry, is this not just amazing dark comedy?

That said, the film does have a certain ambiance of dread. And it certainly knows when to throw in a shockingly graphic moment to give the characters and the audience a jolt. But it was hard for me to feel "scared" by a film that had so many comedic moments.

Aside from being a bit underwhelmed by the ending, my only other complaint was that the weirdness of the film (and the distinctly not-quite right dialogue) made it hard to regard the characters as real people as opposed to figures playing their roles. Dogtooth also had a strange internal logic, but in that film the strangeness is a result of something that has been imposed on the characters. In Killing of a Sacred Deer, the whole world seems tuned into this very weird frequency. The unreality of it heightens the humor and the discomfort, but it also sabotages suspension of disbelief because it is so intentionally unbelievable.

Still, totally worth seeing. I am very behind on Lanthimos's filmography, but as far as I'm concerned he's two-for-two with what I've seen.

I haven't seen Dogtooth but I have watched TKoaSD, The Lobster and The Favorite and none of them disappointed. He's well worth following up on.

Dogtooth is probably the most perfect example of filmic surrealism since Bunuel. I found it hard to get very close to, but I still liked it. And it's hostility to outsiders.

The Lobster is one of my favorite films of this millennium. It's both really funny and really horrifying. I like that.

I also know I really like Killing of a Sacred Deer, but I actually remember almost nothing from it. Like....nothing. Maybe some spaghetti.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
i had to rewatch it again cause other day someone posted robin williams clip on youtube so i decided to watch one of my favorite movies called hook hook 10/10 one of amazing movies from robin williams 3

Vertigo - Rewatched this 1958 Hitchcock classic with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. It's a hard movie to peg being equal parts mystery and sexual obsession as well as a treatise on loneliness and unrequited love. Stewart's character of ex-police detective John 'Scottie' Ferguson also has acrophobia and a traumatic failure that led to his current circumstances. He's hired by an old college friend Gavin Elster to shadow his wife Madeline, who's been behaving erratically and is apparently convinced that she's the reincarnated personification of Carlotta Valdes, her great grandmother. Ferguson becomes obsessed with this particular Hitchcock blonde and, this being one of his movies, things aren't as they seem at any given moment. This isn't a clear cut thriller by any means so those expecting a neat resolution or a tidy narrative might end up disappointed. 90/100
Yeah, but for me, that's always been one of the best things about Vertigo, and why it's my favorite Hitchcock. Yes, the ending is extremely frustrating, but it's frustrating in a good way, if that makes sense; I mean, we've just witnessed Scottie undergo all this tremendous emotional and psychological trauma throughout the entire film, and just when he was starting to recover, he
WARNING: spoilers below
loses the woman he loves for the second time, and then the film just... ends, right then and there with him standing on the precipice, with us having no idea if he's about to throw himself off after Judy in his grief. And even if he doesn't do that, how's he supposed to go on living any sort of a normal life now? We have no idea how he'd be able to, because again, that's where everything just ends.

It's just an absolute gut punch of a final shot, one of the most emotionally honest and devastating ones in cinema, IMO, and works so well since it completely resists the tendency of Classical Hollywood endings to reassure or coddle us one bit (which is why the alternate ending they shot is so unnecessary, since it ruins that effect so much):

I just watched Looks that Kill. Interesting subject, really good movie but this could have been so much better in the a hands of a better director.

There are several moments in the movie where the transitions from one emotion to other just seem awkward. Also couple of potentially good characters (hero's dad, foreign exchange student) we're criminally wasted.

The OST seems inadequate. It needed more songs. Such kind of movies always have a decent bunch of songs in it, which in a way make it better.

'The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp' (1943)

Absolute epic Powell and Pressburger film about a lifetime in the military. Stunning cinematography and a bombastic Roger Livesey as Clive Candy. The set design and make up are perfect. Deborah Kerr plays 3 different characters. Released in the middle of the 2nd Word War it must have made a stir, such is the empathy for some Germans. A stone cold British classic.

Please feel free to follow up on that desire. DD is kinda like the most sincere pumpkin patch in Peanutsland. It should be corny, but because it doesn't flinch at its own sincerity, it completely dodges that punch like some Zen master and delivers on being exactly the movie it should be.
It was already on my list of "80s Movies I Must Eventually Confront" but for the first time I'm actually looking forward to it.

Caveat: Does Swayze sing "She's Like the Wind" in-movie? Or is it a closing credits thing? I'mma have to factor that in to my enthusiasm.

Victim of The Night
It was already on my list of "80s Movies I Must Eventually Confront" but for the first time I'm actually looking forward to it.

Caveat: Does Swayze sing "She's Like the Wind" in-movie? Or is it a closing credits thing? I'mma have to factor that in to my enthusiasm.
If I remember it plays over a dance montage between him and Grey.

Victim of The Night

Well, this just charmed the pants right off of me.
35 minutes of me just smiling.
God, I miss Paris.

(Also, how about an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for a 35-minute foreign film with almost no dialogue?)