Who Will be Our Next President?

Tools    

All that was about cutting vaccine timelines from a page or so back. I still wouldn't lump together testing samples with trying to invent, safely test, and distribute a vaccine though.
Have you looked into Trump's operation warp speed? It's pretty amazing, highly militarized and unlike anything that's been done before.

The trick is not minding
Have you looked into Trump's operation warp speed? It's pretty amazing, highly militarized and unlike anything that's been done before.
And there’s a reason for that, which YNWTF has already covered. But cliff notes, it isn’t safe to rush a vaccine without proper testing or the cure could be worse then the curse.

And there’s a reason for that, which YNWTF has already covered. But cliff notes, it isn’t safe to rush a vaccine without proper testing or the cure could be worse then the curse.
Wouldn't it still have to be approved?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
You let me down, man. You let me down.

I'm trying NOT to....master ZOD RUN BALLOT TOWN (town town)...

ARGH!

The President owes transparency to people during a public health crisis, and that was not there. We have him on tape admitting he was downplaying it. And he said many things one week implying it was no big deal, and then saying he was ahead of other people knowing it was a problem shortly after, which is just a lie any way you slice it. And not one that serves any public health purpose: it serves only to save face.

This is not interpretation or opinion: it's all on the record, which means anyone can find it if they look.

"Maybe he was just wrong" is not much of a defense when we know exactly what he was told and can see for ourselves he had experts around him telling him it was a problem, and was not going away, and he just sort of insisted it would anyway. At a certain point you're being so stubborn, so arrogant, so dismissive of expert opinion, that you are choosing to be wrong. And if you wanna parse that and say it was just massive incompetence rather than a lie, fine. Either way it's unacceptable.
I don't flatly disagree with you but I would say it's a tricky situation and that there's still more we don't know than do know about the entire thing. We also have to keep in mind the apparent lack of transparency coming from China.

Jan 11 China reports it's first death.

Ok so as far as we know Trump gets warned about the seriousness of the virus via a memo on Jan 29. On the same day Dr Fauci says "this is an evolving situation", "now the risk is still low, but this could change" Trump is also told that the virus is not deadly to most people and the deaths have been restricted to China. Trump creates the White House coronavirus task force the same day.

2 days later on Jan 31 Trump puts in the China travel restriction. This should be a sign that Trump is taking it seriously. Democrats criticize the action.

On Feb 26 Trump says "I think every aspect of our society should be prepared".

On Feb 29 the first assumed death in the U.S. is reported almost a full month after Trump's first action. Later it would be determined that the first death was 2 or 3 weeks earlier. Although it started slowly in America, it is now readily apparent to everyone that this is a serious worldwide epidemic.

Let's keep in mind now that the president has limited authority and we are all living under state guidelines.

On Feb 27 the director of California's Public Health Department says the risk to the public remains low.

March 1st NY governor Andrew Cuomo: The general risk in the state "remains low".

March 2nd from Cuomo "This isn't our first rodeo, We are fully coordinated, and we are fully mobilized, and we are fully prepared to deal with the situation as it develops."

“Excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers — I speak for the mayor also on this one — we think we have the best health care system on the planet right here in New York. So, when you’re saying, what happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”

March 5th NY Mayor Bill De Blasio: “We’ll tell you the second we think you should change your behavior."

Let's not even get started with what happened to nursing home residents in NY.

I could go on forever with what health officials and state politicians said all across the country. Everyone in the world knew how serious it was by this point.

Where I live in Massachusetts the very first guidelines were put in March 13.

Around mid March we start to see shutdowns in states all across the country.

March 31 Trump suggests that people should use scarves or something else to cover their faces.

April 3rd The CDC finally recommends that people wear facial coverings after previously saying not to.

Of course I left out a bunch of stupid stuff that Trump said because we all know about it. I think people often remain hopeful and don't know what they're into until they're really into it. I didn't see anyone else in the U.S. doing anything special ahead of time to protect people. Looking at the timeline, what should Trump have done and when? He has no authority to close the country, we were told for quite a while not to wear masks, and we're dealing with a major unknown. Perhaps midway through February, before any known deaths, he could have called a press conference and said, a deadly pandemic is coming, many of you will die, good luck!? I get the idea about transparency, but this was not exactly a secret between him and himself. He tried not to panic people, which I thought was obvious and mentioned in the other thread months ago. Maybe that was not the way to go but we all understand the idea behind it. I'm not sure exactly what he could have done to save lives, and I certainly don't think it's fair to blame him for losing them. What would Joe Biden had done differently? He would not have restricted travel to China. I doubt he would have come up with operation warp speed. Heck, if you really want to place blame, you could give a piece to Joe for him and Obama leaving the stockpile dried up. It's a bad situation for everybody and I don't think it should have been politicized the way it was. I would even call a lot of it disgusting.

Yes, once all testing is done. I’m sorry, not following you here.
Well I'm wondering why we're worried about the cure being worse than the curse if it needs to be approved before distributed?

The trick is not minding
Well I'm wondering why we're worried about the cure being worse than the curse if it needs to be approved before distributed?
That’s my point. But warp speed is trying to rush it

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

that doesn't change the risks I noted earlier. I comment about common risks from shortened timelines. You point to a shortened timeline as a counterpoint. As fascinating a show that may be, my comments still apply. To be very clear here, I offered my comment on risk to make sure the other side of your post was acknowledged. Full speed ahead is great. Just recognize that there are more risks involved than would be in a normal timeline. Jumping too quickly to human trials, for example.

that doesn't change the risks I noted earlier. I comment about common risks from shortened timelines. You point to a shortened timeline as a counterpoint. As fascinating a show that may be, my comments still apply. To be very clear here, I offered my comment on risk to make sure the other side of your post was acknowledged. Full speed ahead is great. Just recognize that there are more risks involved than would be in a normal timeline. Jumping too quickly to human trials, for example.
"The regulatory standard against which a vaccine is judged will not be affected by the accelerated timeline."

-Paul Mango, the Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy at the Department of Health and Human Services

Perhaps you guys want them to slow down and take their time?

Which renders his timeframe unrealistic
I'm not so worried about his timeframe, but if his efforts produce a vaccine much quicker than ever before, I would deem his efforts a success. From what I understand a vaccine like this usually takes a decade. If that's true, and the vaccine comes out anytime next year, that's really good?

If you guys don't think the rewards of an early vaccine are worth the risk, then fine. If you think the reward is worth the risk, then I don't know why we're having this discussion.

The trick is not minding
I'm not so worried about his timeframe, but if his efforts produce a vaccine much quicker than ever before, I would deem his efforts a success. From what I understand a vaccine like this usually takes a decade. If that's true, and the vaccine comes out anytime next year, that's really good?
It hasn’t produced anything, so I’m not sure it could qualify in a way as a “success”.

It hasn’t produced anything, so I’m not sure it could qualify in a way as a “success”.
No kidding. We need to see the results first. I'm starting to feel like I'm typing in another language here.