What should the next Mofo Top 100 Countdown be?

Tools    

What should the next Countdown be?
31.82%
14 votes
All Time Top 100
27.27%
12 votes
2000s
15.91%
7 votes
2010s
2.27%
1 votes
Action
2.27%
1 votes
Black & White Films
2.27%
1 votes
Comedy
0%
0 votes
Fantasy
4.55%
2 votes
Foreign Lanuage
0%
0 votes
Musicals
6.82%
3 votes
Noir
4.55%
2 votes
War
2.27%
1 votes
Other
44 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The reason I consider it's too early is merely the fact that I still have lots of films from 2019 that I haven't seen. And that's only the films I'm aware of at the moment. It usually takes a while for lesser-known films to land on people's radars.
that’s fair, although i’d argue that the months of preparation that usually occurs before these lists is the best time to get around to these films.
criticker

50 titles on a ballot would mean twice the work for the host and maybe less people turning in full ballots too. It's an interesting idea though and of course it would be the call of the host.
Just echoing and agreeing with CS's idea, don't know why i'm the only one getting a response..

It's obviously better all else being equal, but in practice it's going to lead to fewer submissions, which could easily counteract any possible benefits.

I really cannot overemphasize, particularly to anyone who hasn't curated one of these before, how shockingly hard it is to get people to submit ballots. It's hard even when people want to do it, and have months to do it. It's just the way it is. You have to hassle and bother people for weeks at the end to even get up in the 60s or 70s sometimes. People on forums, especially, are used to doing things on their own schedule, so it's very tough to wrangle lists. Just something to keep in mind.

If you support an expansion anyway, fair enough, just making it clear there are always downsides to this sort of thing.

I think a list of 50 is far too many. 25 works well and I think it works well for everyone (both maker and compiler.) I'm also in favour of an All-Time list not only because it's been 10 years (though the symmetry is nice) but mostly because the site is a very different place today and I'd guess that most of the members haven't actyually participated in an All-Time list and it's the best/only chance to get whatever you really like submitted.

Also, I don't think this is supposed to be an All-Time great list. It's the members All-Time favourites list, like all the other lists. If you haven't seen a bunch of films then they won't be on your list. If you think something may have a shot, then get it seen before the submission date. There'll be plenty of time.

I just figure expanded ballots (doesn't have to be 50 necessarily) will lead to more of a consensus since every film ever made is eligible for such a countdown. Part of the reason I don't find an All-Time countdown particularly intriguing is because I fear votes will be so incredibly varied that a large chunk of the list will be movies that only appeared on two or three lists, but I could be wrong. (I know that happens with all countdowns to some extent, but it seems it's usually relegated to the very bottom, unless it's a countdown without much participation.)

Another (purely selfish) reason for my disinterest is the fact that I've still yet to make my own Top 100 on here. I'd happily submit a ballot, but I doubt I'd share it publicly for that very reason since I'd want to save the mystery. (Not that anybody gives a sh*t, but I care dammit!!! )

I think a list of 50 is far too many. 25 works well and I think it works well for everyone (both maker and compiler.) I'm also in favour of an All-Time list not only because it's been 10 years (though the symmetry is nice) but mostly because the site is a very different place today and I'd guess that most of the members haven't actyually participated in an All-Time list and it's the best/only chance to get whatever you really like submitted.

Also, I don't think this is supposed to be an All-Time great list. It's the members All-Time favourites list, like all the other lists. If you haven't seen a bunch of films then they won't be on your list. If you think something may have a shot, then get it seen before the submission date. There'll be plenty of time.
At the right price I'll be glad to vote for Charlie's Angels. Same goes for anyone else's favorites.

Or you could post your list at the same time as the countdown.
That'd be unfair to the host. All that work they'd put in just to have me upstage them and detract all the attention from the countdown.

Just echoing and agreeing with CS's idea, don't know why i'm the only one getting a response..
Oh gee, I didn't mean to sound negative I thought I had worded my response to be fairly neutral. I just quoted you as I'm lazy and you were one of the last post made.

Oh gee, I didn't mean to sound negative I thought I had worded my response to be fairly neutral. I just quoted you as I'm lazy and you were one of the last post made.
I get laziness, that's why I'll emphasize that i'm not a supporter of anything that would bring more hassle to a countdown, just didn't realise till I read the cons.

I just figure expanded ballots (doesn't have to be 50 necessarily) will lead to more of a consensus since every film ever made is eligible for such a countdown.

Part of the reason I don't find an All-Time countdown particularly intriguing is because I fear votes will be so incredibly varied that a large chunk of the list will be movies that only appeared on two or three lists, but I could be wrong.
I could see ballots being 50 movies, but only for the All Time Top 100 Movies countdown, and then have that countdown be 250 movies. Which is a lot of work for whoever host it! But could be fun!

Personally I don't like more consensus in a countdown. I like to see a countdown be more varied and reflect our individuality here at MoFo. That's why I was opposed to Holden doing only a Top 50 westerns as there was more than enough ballots for a Top 100...and doing only 50 westerns would've eliminate most of the unique titles, leaving us with a bunch of well known westerns. I think that would've been boring.

So that's why a 50 ballot-250 movie All Time Top 100 countdown, would be wickedly cool (but probably to much work, though if two or three people helped out then it could be doable.)

I could see ballots being 50 movies, but only for the All Time Top 100 Movies countdown, and then have that countdown be 250 movies.
I am most definitely opposed to this. Too much work for all involved and too much time for the countdown itself. How many people actually care what the 250th favorite movie is?

Also, I think anyone who is suggesting anything that will increase the host's workload had better be volunteering to take on that workload themselves.

I am most definitely opposed to this. Too much work for all involved and too much time for the countdown itself. Also, how many people actually care what the 250th favorite movie is?
It could be easier for 2 or 3 people doing it.

I could see ballots being 50 movies, but only for the All Time Top 100 Movies countdown, and then have that countdown be 250 movies. Which is a lot of work for whoever host it! But could be fun!
It would be pretty sweet to have a MoFo version of IMDb's Top 250.

Maybe Oscar Bot can host the countdown. After all, he only works one night of the year. Time for him to start pulling more weight around here.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like the idea of having a MoFo Top 250 for the All-Time list, but I can see how it would be too much work for the host. That's why the decision should ultimately be up to whoever volunteers to host it.

Whether the ballots should be 25 or 50 movies could just be done by making the individual lists a maximum of 50, and maybe also a minimum of 25. That way each person could decide whether or not they want to submit up to 50 films.

The problem with a modern countdowns is I think everyone has a top ten for each year they've watched films in the last 20 years, cutting a list down to 25 would be difficult and promotion might end up with an esoteric list.

The smart thing might be to have 20 small lists of 25 and at the end tally up a list of 100 based on the points from those 20 lists.

But my vote is for Noir because I believe it's a popular genre and we can do speciality Hall of Fames.

I like the idea of having a MoFo Top 250 for the All-Time list, but I can see how it would be too much work for the host. That's why the decision should ultimately be up to whoever volunteers to host it.

Whether the ballots should be 25 or 50 movies could just be done by making the individual lists a maximum of 50, and maybe also a minimum of 25. That way each person could decide whether or not they want to submit up to 50 films.
Logical...

If a MoFo Top 250 was done, that might be perfect for 2 or 3 people to pitch in, making for a true team effort. Maybe someone could do the ballot tallying & spreadsheet, another person could do the graphics, and another could do the presentation.

Your idea of: making the individual lists a maximum of 50, and maybe also a minimum of 25...That's a good solution.

A MoFo Top 250 could be awesome...why not try to do something bigger than we've ever done before.

A MoFo Top 250 could be awesome...why not try to do something bigger than we've ever done before.
I don’t think this will work for the simple fact that we don’t have enough people to make it work. IMDb can get away with a top 250 because there are a few million people voting (Shawshank’s score is based on 2,260,466 ratings as I’m typing this). The highest number of participants that any MoFo list has gotten was 99. With such a huge pool of potential films, you’re going to struggle to get enough of a consensus for 100 films. 250 is out of the question, IMO.