What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

I don't even remember what was the last DVD I bought, as much as I can recall I bought one DVD pack for Pirates of Caribbean.

The truth is in here
I filled up my movie stock today. This is what I got:

Sea Hawk (1940) - Because I've never seen an Errol Flynn movie before and this one looks cool.
Funny Face (1957) - Can't say no to Audrey Hepburn.
Vertigo (1958) - I constantly see it get praised as one of Hitchcock's best. And considering his track record I have high hopes for it.)
Cleopatra (1963) - The pairing of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. They were magnificent in Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
Frenzy (1972) - The most intriguing of Hitchcock's later works.
Rollerball (1975) - I think I'll have a rollerball with this movie!
Animal House (1978) - Due to John Belushi's hilarious performance in The Blues Brothers.
Kramer Vs. Kramer (1979) - Looks like a powerful Dustin Hoffman drama.
The Airplane collection (1980, 1982) - Has the kings of spoof movies as the writers and directors, plus Leslie Nielsen of course. The second doesn't look as good, but still has a strong cast, like the nice addition of Rip Torn.
The Smokey And The Bandit trilogy (1977, 1980, 1983) - The first two look like good ol' Burt Reynolds fun. The third seems terrible though, so I guess we'll see.
Once Upon A Time In America (1984) - I'm a big fan of the Dollars trilogy.
Dune (1984) - It's directed by David Lynch (one of only two of his films I haven't seen) and it has Kyle MacLachlan's first role.
House (1986) - The only horror movie I could find I really want to see.
Talk Radio (1988) - Oliver Stone is a master at political intrigue.
Ghostbusters & Ghostbusters II (1984, 1989) - Believe it or not, I've never seen either in full. Now is finally the time!
The Two Jakes (1990) - As soon as I saw Jack Nicholson's name on the cover, I knew I would buy this one. Plus I loved Chinatown.
Strange Days (1995) - I've heard a lot of great things about it, and it looks like it's in the same vein as Minority Report (one of my favorite Spielbergs).
The Woodsman (2004) - Difficult, but fascinating subject matter. Kevin Bacon also seems like an excellent choice for this role.

I just ordered The Human Condition from Criterion Collection.

I've been wanting to watch it for so long, and keep trying to stream it online but can never find a working link. I've never bought anything off the criterion collection website before, so this is a first. It should arrive within 18 days. Can't wait. It cost me $65 including shipping, and it's a 4 DVD box set with tons of bonus features. This is the full nine and a half hour version.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I filled up my movie stock today. This is what I got:

Kramer Vs. Kramer (1979) - Looks like a powerful Dustin Hoffman drama.
This is my favorite Dustin Hoffman movie.

The Smokey And The Bandit trilogy (1977, 1980, 1983) - The first two look like good ol' Burt Reynolds fun. The third seems terrible though, so I guess we'll see.
The third one is terrible, but the first two are lots of fun.

Come and See

It's a Criterion pre-order, but I adore this film. To me it's the best and most honest depiction of war I've ever laid my eyes on. Haunting, visceral, brutal. Even though it's an act, the depiction of war in this film is so real it often makes you feel uncomfortable. It can be at times traumatizing, so precede at your own risk.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

This is my favorite Dustin Hoffman movie.
Terrific movie.

The trick is not minding
I just ordered The Human Condition from Criterion Collection.

I've been wanting to watch it for so long, and keep trying to stream it online but can never find a working link. I've never bought anything off the criterion collection website before, so this is a first. It should arrive within 18 days. Can't wait. It cost me $65 including shipping, and it's a 4 DVD box set with tons of bonus features. This is the full nine and a half hour version.
I definitely need to watch some Kobayashi. I haven’t watched any of his films yet and I hear he really is a great director.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Got this from Walmart because I became interested in it after seeing the trailer before a theatrical screening of My Neighbor Totoro.

Pre-ordered this from Amazon because it's one of my favorite films of 2019.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Star Wars Holiday Special (Blu Ray)

At least this garbage isn't "enhanced."

Is this a legit DVD or a bootleg? I didn't think The Star Wars Holiday Special was ever released on DVD. I've only seen bad copies on YouTube.

Is this a legit DVD or a bootleg? I didn't think The Star Wars Holiday Special was ever released on DVD. I've only seen bad copies on YouTube.
It's a bootleg. I don't think they ever legitimately released the special. I still prefer it over the garbage they have now where Lucas essentially destroyed his initial work and the I, II, and III and VII, VIII, IX are just terrible. Unless you can get a copy of Star Wars in its original format, (which thankfully I do)... I don't think the series is worth watching.

I like One Piece so there was no reason not to check it out.
I've loved One Piece for a long time, but I stopped watching due to the fact it went on and on. I'm waiting for the series to end and then I can do a marathon of reading the manga and then watching the anime.

It's a bootleg. I don't think they ever legitimately released the special. I still prefer it over the garbage they have now where Lucas essentially destroyed his initial work and the I, II, and III and VII, VIII, IX are just terrible. Unless you can get a copy of Star Wars in its original format, (which thankfully I do)... I don't think the series is worth watching.
I heard rumors of this, but never actually saw it before. I looked it up and tried to watch it, and I couldn't stomach it. After five excruciating minutes of people in wookie costumes grunting and groaning like cave men, I started skipping to various parts to see if it improved. Unfortunately I found the scenes with Luke, Han, Leia, and the Imperials almost equally aweful. Only the Boba Fett cartoon was watchable, but even that wasn't particularly good.

Have you seen Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor?

I heard rumors of this, but never actually saw it before. I looked it up and tried to watch it, and I couldn't stomach it. After five excruciating minutes of people in wookie costumes grunting and groaning like cave men, I started skipping to various parts to see if it improved. Unfortunately I found the scenes with Luke, Han, Leia, and the Imperials almost equally aweful. Only the Boba Fett cartoon was watchable, but even that wasn't particularly good.

Have you seen Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor?

I remember watching Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor... but it's been a loooooong time since I've seen them. As for the Star Wars Holiday Special... all those reasons you hate it is why I love it. The whole movie to me is so bad that I find it rather humorous. It's like The Room or Plan 9 From Outer Space or Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It's wonderful. Plus if I can drink George Lucas' tears in some way it makes me happy and gives me superpowers.

I remember watching Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor... but it's been a loooooong time since I've seen them. As for the Star Wars Holiday Special... all those reasons you hate it is why I love it. The whole movie to me is so bad that I find it rather humorous. It's like The Room or Plan 9 From Outer Space or Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It's wonderful. Plus if I can drink George Lucas' tears in some way it makes me happy and gives me superpowers.
I can appreciate that. The whole thing made me feel really bad for the actors. It was just so impossible to wrap my mind around someone taking the time to write this, it getting approved, and then building a set, hiring actors, having a film crew... How can all those people sit there and watch this happening while they're making it. I'd have thrown the script in the garbage. "You have thirty pages of people grunting and motioning with their hands..." It reminds me of a really bad children's show, like Barney or something. Where it's presumably educational, but it's stupifying at the same time.

I can appreciate that. The whole thing made me feel really bad for the actors. It was just so impossible to wrap my mind around someone taking the time to write this, it getting approved, and then building a set, hiring actors, having a film crew... How can all those people sit there and watch this happening while they're making it. I'd have thrown the script in the garbage. "You have thirty pages of people grunting and motioning with their hands..." It reminds me of a really bad children's show, like Barney or something. Where it's presumably educational, but it's stupifying at the same time.