Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

La terre et le sang (2020)
aka Earth and Blood

A French action film that isn't innovative at all but manages to be decent entertainment for its short duration. It's French, so it's somewhat violent (not Extremely violent, though) and it has a good attitude. Passable low budget fun, nothing more, nothing less.

The Conversation (1974)

What a piece of cinema. First time watch now I don't know why...characters, plot, meaning, intimacy. Liked the whole story of Harry Caul. Coppola was really on it here. Artistic and subtle film making. Gene Hackman plays every scene almost by expression.

9.5/10
I agree. It's one of the best pictures ever made, IMO. Just heard that Allen Garfield died. He was really good as the surveillance electronics thief Bernie Moran. But everyone was superb in that one! Even Cindy Williams.

I agree. It's one of the best pictures ever made, IMO. Just heard that Allen Garfield died. He was really good as the surveillance electronics thief Bernie Moran. But everyone was superb in that one! Even Cindy Williams.
Cindy Williams was in that? I need to watch that one.

Little Women (2019)

I'm not generally a fan of time era pieces like this, so take this with a grain of salt. This movie could easily be a 2 or 4 depending on what kind of mood I'm in. Chalamet is great in this movie as are all the actresses, with Ronan giving the best performance in my eyes. The first two thirds of the movie dragged for me and could have been trimmed to reduce the 2+ hour runtime, but the last third was excellent.
How would you compare it to the 1949 original, which I thought was excellent? I haven't so far investigated the '19 version, fearing too much PC...

Cindy Williams was in that? I need to watch that one.
Yes, and she plays way against type. You haven't seen The Conversation?? That's your assignment for tonight, bro...

Yes, and she plays way against type. You haven't seen The Conversation?? That's your assignment for tonight, bro...
Nope, I've never seen it. I've heard it mentioned and praised quite a bit though.

How would you compare it to the 1949 original, which I thought was excellent? I haven't so far investigated the '19 version, fearing too much PC...
I have not seen the 1949 version. I think my prior exposure to the story is primarily through light reading of the book many years ago, in addition to some segments of the play

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Selah and The Spades (Tayarisha Poe, 2019)
5/10
Sea Gypsies: The Far Side of the World (Nico Edwards, 2017)
6.5/10
Bad Therapy (William Teitler, 2020)
5/10
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (Ethan Spaulding, 2020)
6.5/10

Fun, violent and exciting.
This Is Not a Movie (Yung Chang, 2019)
+ 6.5/10
The Dead Talk Back (Merle S. Gould, 1994)
3/10
Earth and Blood (Julien Leclercq, 2020)
6/10
Finders Keepers (Bryan Carberry & J. Clay Tweel, 2015)
+ 6.5/10

One [here Shannon Whisnant; the other being John Wood] of the two wackos involved in the lawsuit over the custody of Wood's foot.
Behind You (Andrew Mecham & Matthew Whedon, 2020)
5/10
Noroi: The Curse (Kôji Shiraishi. 2005)
6/10
Brahms: The Boy II (William Brent Bell, 2020)
5/10
Stuber (Michael Dowse, 2019)
6/10

Dave Bautista and Kumail Nanjiani in another average buddy comdy-thriller.
The Legacy of the Bones (Fernando González Molina, 2019)
5.5/10
Die Hard with a Vengeance (John McTiernan, 1995)
+ 6.5/10
Endings, Beginnings (Drake Doremus, 2019)
+ 4.5/10
Wendy (Benh Zeitlin, 2020)
5.5/10

Spectacular locations and photography on Montserrat are worth a peak but it's overlong and doesn't add up.
Nightmare at Noon (Nico Mastorakis, 1988)
4/10
Floyd Norman: An Animated Life (Michael Fiore & Erik Sharkey, 2016)
+ 6.5/10
Woman of Mud (Rico Maria Ilarde, 2000)
5/10
Ip Man 4: The Finale (Wilson Yip, 2019)
+ 6.5/10

Great martial arts [here with Donnie Yen and Scott Adkins] and heart, but some hokey characters should have been jettisoned.

nice thriller, a bit slow sometimes, but non the less a good 70s cinema 7/10

true confessions 8.5/10

Dear Zachary (2008)

Thanks for the recommendation hellstorm, as this was a truly endearing (yet enraging) film. It doesn't get too in the weeds to discuss the legal process behind scheduling court dates and such, but that was a significant crux in determining the outcome here. It's painful to think about what could have been if common sense had been employed....

Les pétroleuses [The Legend Of Frenchie King] (Christian-Jacque & Guy Casaril, 1971)
+
Bardot and Cardinale in the same Western , shame it's not really up to much though

I saw marriage story. 8/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Ucho - 8.5/10
It's a fine movie, and very well executed. I'll paste the IMDB description, since I don't want to spoil it, but if there are some who have seen it, we can always use the Spoiler tool on here to get more in-depth.

"After coming home from a Party gathering one night, a Czechoslovakian official becomes convinced that he is about to be the subject of a political purge and tries to do damage control, while also dealing with his turbulent marriage."

A good way I'd describe it is "The Lives of Others" meets "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

I'm going to look into this movie more, but very eager to throw this out there "before its too late!"
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
I loved how the protagonist had the camera right on him, speaking to him, which also gives the viewer the paranoia they are experiencing (mostly him, but also his wife). The flashbacks are used in a great way, because in real life, someone who has a feeling of being purged will look back and think "Maybe it was THIS, or maybe it was THAT"..

The Conversation (1974)

What a piece of cinema. First time watch now I don't know why...characters, plot, meaning, intimacy. Liked the whole story of Harry Caul. Coppola was really on it here. Artistic and subtle film making. Gene Hackman plays every scene almost by expression.

9.5/10
Agree with everything you've said here...my favorite Coppola film...can't believe Hackman didn't win the Oscar that year, let alone not even get a nomination.

Snooze factor = Zzzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

6 Underground 8/10

The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear (rewatch): 9/10

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, I've just never heard anyone say anything negative about this movie before...way to stand your ground.
I wasn't particularly impressed by Fargo either, but I did think Marco was a bit harsh and unfair. It's a decent movie overall, but I do agree that it's overrated. 2 stars is kind of an unfathomably low rating for something that's at least an above average movie. Personally I'd give Fargo 3 stars. It had some really interesting moments, and some dull ones. I thought the bit about the car salesman and how he gets found out by the female cop was done very well, and also the crazy one of the two killers was a very interesting character. William Macy, Steve Buscemi, and Peter Stormare gave excellent performances.