Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
All the Money in the World (2017)

Not bad, but suffers in comparison to the TV version of this story, Trust, which is better in pretty much every way.

+

Widows (2018)

I had average hopes for this but as it turned out, I'll be surprised if there's a movie I like more from 2018. I look at the list of best picture contenders and think WTF. A crime thriller and a powerful drama, it was tense and it made me weep. Such a great cast, very deep and everyone makes their mark. I very much cared for the female characters.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Blue Lagoon - 5/10
I remember sitting on the floor watching this with my family at a young age. I was reading an interview book on Fellini, and as I was reading about environment, I thought of this movie.. Something easy. I knew the ratings were horrible, but I still expected more. Any amount of effort could have made it pretty good; considering the main plot is really good, and one could have really explored human nature.

I was planing to watch She's all that sometime soon
But after reading this comment.....

Well, should I reconsider?
People who know the source material praised it:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/rev...-angel/.143043

As a big fan of the manga, I think that this movie is ideal for fans of the original material since I lot of my emotional connection to the movie was in seeing the characters I already know "live".

In general, people who were fans of the original manga rated this movie much higher than critics and film snobs (the type of people common in this forum is not the target audience for such a movie).

To me, Alita was the best Hollywood blockbuster movie (i.e. budget over 150 million) of the last 15 years. Yes, it is the best blockbuster since Lord of the Rings. It is also way more creative and original than any blockbuster movie since Avatar (2009), for example, having a superdeformed-looking cyborg as main-character was a bold move to make in a movie aimed at a wide audience.

[center]Widows (2018)

I had average hopes for this but as it turned out, I'll be surprised if there's a movie I like more from 2018. I look at the list of best picture contenders and think WTF. A crime thriller and a powerful drama, it was tense and it made me weep. Such a great cast, very deep and everyone makes their mark. I very much cared for the female characters.
Very much in agreement. I heard Widows didn't make any lists though because it's considered a "Heist" movie.

Widows was great.

A thriller in the hands of a talented auteur really becomes a different kind of beast entirely. Completely different beats, notes and stylistic choices and that felt really fresh. And characters came first. I liked that.

The end shot in the diner with the mirror reflection is one of my favorite shots of the year.

Roma (2018)

-

I knew nothing about this going in except that it was highly acclaimed. The first 40 minutes or so were a bit of a struggle for me. The way the camera lingered on mundane things had me recalling Jeanne Dielman, and that's something much better off forgetting. I didn't even like how the movie looked. It had a certain clarity that lacks character to my eyes, and I was already writing the movie off as a dud. Then everything turned around upon the New Year's trip. The movie suddenly looked beautiful to me, and I think the problem I had prior was due to the movie being mostly set in the house during daytime. Once we started getting outdoor and nighttime shots, the character I was looking for came through. This coincided with the drama picking up. It was established that these were very average people, and so when everyday average horrible things would happen, it would be effective. This is a movie that grew on me more and more as it went along, and in the end I came to agree with it's best picture nomination.

7.5/10. Although inaccurate in the story telling it was pretty engaging and enjoyable. I thought Bale would be the favorite in the best actor category, but I have to say Remi Malek captured the essence pretty well. I would have to say he deserves it.

I figured out Neeson was alive probably after 20 mins into the movie though! And when it turned out like that, it kinda ruined it for me. But a fun watch none the less.

Welcome to the human race...
If Beale Street Could Talk -

remind me again how this didn't manage a Best Picture nod

Yup. Funny to see Roma in two categories, rather than just one.

I tried that Spoiler thingy, but didn't work.... Whatever I put in it, just disappeared.

'Burn the Place you hide' (2016)

This is an exceptional documentary. It's a very candid portrait of Thomas Hansen (St. Thomas) - a man struggling with depression who wants nothing to do with this world apart from to make music. The documentary follows his tours, recording, interviews, outbursts, anger issues, alcohol struggles, relationships and also his beautiful music.

Amazing.