18th Mofo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Guys im totally kidding, honest. And like i said before it didnt occur to me until it was too late. I made a few posts talking about my mistake at length.

Split is a fine film.

And no i didnt help make the film but thanks! A little before my time.

I can understand where Joel is coming from in theory...I mean I watched Mad Love, Akira, and Mr Freedom all fail to make an impact on these Hall of Fames, I think challenging films could work but typically they don't.
I guess the "issue" here is that people are different.

People have opinions (not just about the movies but everything) that I just fail to comprehend; not just disagree with but completely fail to see how someone can see things like that. Fortunately with age I've come to accept this and no longer feel the need to "correct" these people.

At some later date when more people have watched Brimstone I'll probably reply to some of the criticism and try to explain why I either don't see the "issue" or in some cases consider the "issue" important piece of the film. Based on the reviews this far I seem to be watching a slightly different movie from others. I don't mind the hate but I don't always understand it (I suppose @Joel feels the same).

bubba ho-tep is a great film.

I want to get a lot of these movies watched this long weekend..sooo..I guess my next step is to ask as gently as possible..are any of them on youtube by chance? Before I hit up the library?

Even though I hated Split I liked the nomination because it seems to have the same qualities that my noms have - it's a film majority of us haven't seen and it's something you personally seem to like a lot. Don't let our hate to get under your skin
Nah, man, it is all fine. Like I said, it was a personal film, and had I not zonked out at the wheel when I nominated it, and realized it was for a regular HoF, I would've saved it for a more experimental trash HoF. I'm actually a little bummed I didn't think of that first. I totally wasted it. Ah well.

I am looking forward to seeing some of these films on here, though. Some of them seen, some not. They all generally look at least semi interesting, which is very rare in my limited experience with HoF's.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (David Hand; 1937)

I hadn't seen this before so I was interested in what I'd think of it. The animation in this was very good and I felt it still holds up even though the film is over 80 years old. However I felt that the characters were quite flat and the plot was pretty basic, although I did find the dwarfs to be quite amusing. Overall this one I respected more for its significance, rather than one I actually liked.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

I fit this one in again. I'd seen it as a kid, and read the story book. I think I even had the audio cassette version. The only thing I'm going to say is that the animation is beautiful.

I'm not a parent, and I'm not a kid so...animation usually doesn't score very high with me, for reasons I am still not quite sure about. Nothing wrong with this film. It's important for history and the achievements of mankind, but it did little for my mood, and stimulated me only in the realm of the gorgeous drawings. Animation must be such a tough racket.

Wait a minute. Maybe that's why I dislike it so much. It seems so difficult to keep drawing variations of the same image in motion. My God, what a chore!

I want to get a lot of these movies watched this long weekend..sooo..I guess my next step is to ask as gently as possible..are any of them on youtube by chance? Before I hit up the library?
I was able to find Split, Abandon Ship, Perfect Blue, Bubba Ho-Tep and Road to Perdition on YouTube. Can help with links for ones you've not seen if you need them.

I was able to find Split, Abandon Ship, Perfect Blue, Bubba Ho-Tep and Road to Perdition on YouTube. Can help with links for ones you've not seen if you need them.
That would be great, thanks, @Yam12!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Abandon Ship!

SPOILERS

It's pretty hard NOT to discuss this film without going into the spoiler arena. So, if you haven't watched this yet, don't read this yet.

Setting ordinary folks into an extraordinary situation can make for a great examination of the human psyche and what we are capable of, in the worst of times. And with this film, afterward. Which, for me, in regards to the afterwards, had an even more rebounding gravitas than the sad, and at moments, noble release of the "deadwood" to the sea to save the remaining survivors.

I would not make claims to the "What would I do?" or, for that matter, would I have the tenacity to see it through. But, as a movie watcher, I must say, I found that scene quite exceptional and intense as people could be seen in the distance as they continued without them. Beginning with Kelly, who takes it upon himself to set the example. Following with a full variety of terror to acceptance.
Quite the memorable bit of the film.

A secondary "message" of humanity is the. . . not sure if I have the right to label it simply as cowardly acts of self preservation, but I cannot find any other "label" for it. And that is the near end, when the survivors, having made it through the night storm and surprised to be alive are ready to revere Power's character for having the courage to do what had to be done. And then, when the freighter appeared, they quickly turned on him as a pariah.
A far too common thing when it comes to letting someone else do the dirty work and then leave them to burn for it.
I was seeing it earlier as several of them insisted that they assisted "under gun point," so that they could claim innocence later.
Perhaps I'm being a bit too cynical in their regards, or maybe, just honest about how quickly a lot of folks turn on those willing to take responsibility for the hard choices.

Some wonderful pondering thoughts came from Edith who found it a cruel, whimsical notion that, in an emergency, lumbering apes equal the removal of a genius, a playwright and an opera singer. . .
I also loved how she had a greater nobility than many of the more righteous of those adrift.

A great bit of cinema, CR. Bravo sir.

Weird is relative.
I can understand where Joel is coming from in theory...I mean I watched Mad Love, Akira, and Mr Freedom all fail to make an impact on these Hall of Fames, I think challenging films could work but typically they don't.

I voted Mad Love as my #1 in that HOF, just so you know someone loved it...

Haven't watched Mr Freedom yet but it sounds interesting.

IMO Akira is batsh1t crazy but in a good way, mostly. I'm not really sure what the filmmakers were aiming for, maybe an anti-laboratory-experiments vibe. I feel like it got too out of hand, but that's the thing with anime... oftentimes it's like, "Go big or go home," which obviously involves a lot of over-exaggeration. So that can pretty much be chalked up to just the genre itself (anti-war, post-apocalyptic, etc).

Pâfekuto burû (Perfect Blue) (Satoshi Kon, 1997)
Imdb

Date Watched: 2/7/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 18th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by Nathaniel
Rewatch: Yes

This was, if I recall correctly, my third time watching this film. I first watched this movie in 2015 (when I was on a mission to watch every film on the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films list) and again in 2017 (when it was nominated for an animated films tournament). With each viewing I've been very much impressed by how well crafted it is. I think a lot of people wrongly dismiss animation as being a medium for children's entertainment. I was once one of those people, but watching the work of Satoshi Kon was instrumental in changing my perspective.

Perfect Blue tells a very taut, disorienting tale of obsession, paranoia, and delusion. The characters felt very real and at times I forgot I was watching an animated film because I was so lost in the story. The film also does really well to set its mood and uses color very effectively contrast the two worlds Mima inhabited - as a pop idol and as an actress. It also uses that contrast to contribute to the unnerving feeling as she really lost touch with reality.

I am not without my complaints about this film, but they are pretty minimal. My only major gripe was how irritating I found Mima to be, particularly in the earlier scenes - her childlike naivete and shrill voice are really grating. I also find myself unable to really feel any emotion for her - perhaps a result of my annoyance with her - and for that reason even on this third watch I just can't seem to cross that line from really liking it to actually loving it. Even so, I think it holds its own among the other psychological horrors I've seen and will surely secure a place on my ballot for the Horror countdown.

+

The Florida Project

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. There were some flaws but it kept me engaged the whole time. The film suffered a bit from lack of a firm structure and pacing, but I think that also fits into the movie's evasive main conflict. I really enjoyed this conflict, because it is not explicit at all... thinking about the movie, there is no stated goal of any of the characters. But instead, the movie gives us goals for them, which they work towards, some of them failing, some of them succeeding. To me, this is a fascinating take on the situation these characters are in... the sense of hope or hopelessness - or, in a more classical term, fate - that they are experiencing. \

18th Hall of Fame
The Florida Project

I remember watching this in anticipation for the Oscars and feeling disappointed.
Knowing what to expect now, I don’t really feel disappointed, but I’m still kind of underwhelmed by it.

I like the concept and idea behind the story though, portraying poverty in America from a perspective we don’t see that often and showing that world through the eyes of those children who lives in it and have to get by in this false façade of wonder and happiness, knowing deep within that these colorful shells aren’t exactly Disneyland, despite being located on the road leading straight to the real thing. There is definitely a nice contrast here and watching both the grown-ups and children struggle in these confinements is definitely interesting, while seeing them try to cover up the reality is even more intriguing.

Unfortunately, I have a hard time buying into and believing the kids who are in this movie. I think they do are great job at what they are supposed to, but I’m not sure I like the direction they are given by Sean Baker. The hyperactive and excessively vulgar approach to how children are supposed to be seems a bit artificial to me. Looking at the environment they are in and the influence they draw from what surrounds them, especially the parents, and the amount of time they are by themselves definitely builds on the fundament of how they behave in the film. But I still think it is a bit much and takes me out of the movie at times.

Also, it seems like Baker uses more time on having the children run around making trouble than exploring what is really troubling them. I would have loved deeper and more intimate moments that could drive the story forward. I would essentially have loved more of what we got towards the end with the two little girls in the doorway. Not to that extent, but something that presents the children as more than just a product of poor parenting and deprived conditions.

I admired the little details subtly sprinkled throughout the story; like the children pointing to random doors while explaining who lives there and what they know about them (i.e. “he goes to prison a lot”). That is an interesting way in not only explaining the environment and the types of people who lives there, but also how the children comprehend this and how long they have really been living like this. But what held my attention the most was Willem Dafoe, who was absolutely brilliant as the manager there. And as a bystander to it all.

I did think the film got stronger as it neared its inevitable turning point, where the fairytale world would fall, and the reality present itself in its truest form. The build-up towards that was very fascinating, having the “magic castle” slowly crumble and show more signs of a struggle for our main characters, especially the mother, where her actions and behavior eventually will bring her down – and hard. Having the children in the middle of it, especially her own daughter, really emphasized the themes of the movie, and it was also here the film really founds its strength and also utilizes the children properly in my opinion. Also, having the mother and daughter both experience their own version of a realization and desperation was really good.

I’m not sure if it is the expectation of a different story or the actual execution of the product that weights the most for me, when it comes to my thoughts towards this movie. All I know is that it doesn’t quite give me enough and I have a fair share of problems with it. That said, there are definitely things to like about this one.

-

Glad you liked it @ahwell

And @MovieMeditation wish you liked it more but nice write up!
Thank you. And yeah, me too.

Do you have a write-up somewhere or can you give some quick thoughts on what you really love about it and why?

Here's a link to what I last had to say about it. But I'll have another review with another watch:

http://www.movieforums.com/reviews/1...a-project.html
Thanks!

I can see our views on it are very different and interestingly so. I will look forward to your new write-up too.