Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Thanks!

I like organizing and arranging things, so it was quite fun to bring everything together. My spreadsheet that tracked the scoring was even colour co-ordinated haha.
You and me both my man!

I was just looking at your layout for each of the nom results, very nicely done. I think you just raised the bar for doing the reveals!
Thank you!

Simple reveals are nice and clean looking as well though. Each reveal is slightly different depending on the host, and I think that's part of the charm of these HoFs.

Third Place:

Phoenix (2014)
Nominated By: CosmicRunaway

94 Points

This is one of the most powerful World War II-themed films I've ever seen.
While there are obvious and inescapable themes of rising up and out of ruin, the most poignant element of the film for me was the social commentary about how many people do not want to face the realities of war and its aftermath. Society as a whole would rather ignore the faces of those who have suffered, and deny how cruelty changes both the victims and the perpetrators.

Points Awarded:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoenix-Chart.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	46305  

I am genuinely surprised that Phoenix placed as high as it did. I was expecting it to sit somewhere in the middle of the pack. It was actually the only film in this HoF that didn't place in the bottom three on any list.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I am genuinely surprised that Phoenix placed as high as it did. I was expecting it to sit somewhere in the middle of the pack. It was actually the only film in this HoF that didn't place in the bottom three on any list.
I really liked it and had it higher up on my list, but would have guessed it to be in the middle of the pack too.

I'm surprised too but you nailed it, avoiding low votes...
Yup, that's how The Station Agent won in the 15th.

Second Place and Runner-Up:

The Sword of Doom (1966)
Nominated By: cricket

110 Points

The plot of the film is fragmentary, the end abrupt, but Okamoto's perfectly balanced compositions, in which even the most brutal carnage radiates nothing but concentrated elegance, make the viewing of "Sword of Doom" a true pleasure.
That scene in the snow is wow.
Points Awarded:

~*~

First Place and The Foreign Language HoF Winner:

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
Nominated By: Citizen Rules

112 Points

Visually speaking, the following film is kind of a masterpiece. The cinematography, the set design, the costumes, along with all of the bright and flashy colours, they sync together perfectly, in order to visualise a small tale of romance and heartbreak.
What counts to me is that this is one of the most heartfelt, emotionally honest films dealing with young love that I've ever seen.
Points Awarded:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sword-Chart.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	46306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbrellas-Chart.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	46307  

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
AWESOME! Nice reveal, not surprised by the Top 2 spots to be honest, particularly loved Umbrellas. What a great HoF, had a great experience! My rankings:

1. Pan's Labyrinth.
2. The Umbrellas of Cherboug
3. The Age of Shadows.
4. Thelma
5. Assassination
6. The Leopard.
7. Entre Nos
8. Phoenix
9. Samsara
10. The Saragossa Manuscript.
11. The Sword of Doom.
12. Benny's Video

And that's it for the Foreign Language Hall of Fame! Thanks everyone for participating!

Here is what my list looked like:

01. The Sword of Doom
02. Phoenix
03. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
04. Age of Shadows
05. Thelma
06. Assassination
07. The Leopard
08. Pan's Labyrinth
09. Entre Nos
10. Samsara
11. Benny's Video
12. The Saragossa Manuscript

1. Thelma
2. Sword of Doom
3. Pan's Labyrinth
4. Benny's Video
5. Assassination
6. Umbrellas of Cherbourg
7. Phoenix
8. Entre Nos
9. Samsara
10. Saragossa Manuscript
11. Age of Shadows
12. The Leopard

Yes!...So glad to see The Umbrellas of Cherbourg win that I'm doing my happy dance I think I was more excited about seeing the results for the Foreign Hof than I had been in a long time.

Cosmic you're the best! You SO have to host another Hof

My voting list:

1 The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
2 Entre Nos (2009)
3 Phoenix (2014)
4 The Sword of Doom (1966)
5 Assassination (2015)
6 The Bélier Family (2014)
7 The Age of Shadows (2016)
8 Thelma (2017)
9 Samsara (2001)
10 The Leopard (1963)
11 Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
12 The Saragossa Manuscript (1965)
13 Benny's Video (1992)

Congrats to Citizen for picking the most well-received film! I was silently rooting for The Sword of Doom, but they're both solid films. A lot of people called Umbrellas winning this right at the start, so I think most of the surprises in this reveal came from the placement of some of the other films.

I do think it's amusing that Age of Shadows and Assassination ended up right next to each other, which I didn't even notice until I had started the reveal haha.

If I voted my my nom first, there would have been a tie, but I hate ties!

1. Umbrellas of Cherbourg
2. Sword of Doom
3. Pan's Labyrinth
4. The Leopard
5. The Saragossa Manuscript
6. Thelma
7. Benny's Video
8. Phoenix
9. Assassination
10. The Age of Shadows
11. Entre Nos
12. Samsara

Super duper job all the way through as host Cosmic, the most predictable thing ever.

Congrats on the victory CR, have a cigar!