Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Seventh Place:

Assassination (2015)
Nominated By: edarsenal

70 Points

You’ve got to like a bride whipping a gun from her garter in the midst of a set-piece wedding shoot-out.
Shot with the usual poetic symmetry that I have come to truly love when it comes to Asian films, Assassination is a beautiful whirlwind of style, action and fast-paced story telling.

Points Awarded:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assassination-Chart.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	46301  

Sixth Place:

Age of Shadows (2016)
Nominated By: Thursday Next

82 Points

The best thing about this was the technicality, the shots, the color correction, the scene construction, all dumbfounding, there were some shots in this that really made my jaw-drop, I thought it was a beautiful looking film.
The Age of Shadows looks amazing, very stylish and more expensive than it probably is. The train sequence is the stand-out - Murder on the Orient Express eat your heart out.

Points Awarded:
Attachments

Name:	Shadows-Chart.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	46302  

I'm impressed that you can tell them apart.

I found one of them to be bloated and forgettable the other one ended strongly and might merit a revisit to catch all the stuff I missed. It's the difference between having strong characters and a strong ending as opposed to a bloated run time and a terrible ending.

5 Thelma
4 Phoenix
3 Pans Labyrinth
2 Sword Of Doom
1 Cherbourg

Not confident of that order but I do think Thelma and Phoenix are the next 2 one way or another.

And you're just in time to make a final five prediction!
Oh geez I don't know, I'm still half asleep I just noticed the quoted inserts for each movie, that is a cool idea! I might have to steal it sometime Hope you don't mind.

Fifth Place:

Thelma (2017)

Nominated By: Siddon

86 Points

This is one of those pictures that defies the usual tropes in storytelling and really stretches its muscles and uses its flexibility to deliver an interesting story.
Thelma is one of those films that excels in using negative space to create a luscious a wide world. You've got scenes of perfect symmetry that you could frame in an art gallery.

Points Awarded:
Attachments

Name:	Thelma-Chart.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	46303  

I just noticed the quoted inserts for each movie, that is a cool idea! I might have to steal it sometime Hope you don't mind.
Go right ahead!

I thought it would be a fun idea to add some flavour to the results haha.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Loved Thelma, had it as my No.4. By the way @CosmicRunaway I love the way you're doing this, with the quotes, the graphs and the placing, you really took your time and took this seriously! Props!

Fourth Place:

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
Nominated By: Luis

92 Points

A dark sojourn like any true Grimm-like fairy tale, we see the cruel dangers of both our reality and the the reality of the underworld via a young girl's extremely difficult travel through the labyrinth of both of them.
There are no words that can even scratch the surface of the love I have for this film. Never have I seen a fairy tale told this way, never have I seen a film carry so much emotional stakes, and never have I seen a story so beautifully told.

Points Awarded:

Attachments

Name:	Pan-Chart.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	46304  

Go right ahead!

I thought it would be a fun idea to add some flavour to the results haha.
I was just looking at your layout for each of the nom results, very nicely done. I think you just raised the bar for doing the reveals!

By the way @CosmicRunaway I love the way you're doing this, with the quotes, the graphs and the placing, you really took your time and took this seriously! Props!
Thanks!

I like organizing and arranging things, so it was quite fun to bring everything together. My spreadsheet that tracked the scoring was even colour co-ordinated haha.