16th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It’s set in Italy because that is where the book is set. Elio is over the age of consent and has consented to the relationship, so it’s not exactly comparable to Spacey’s unwanted advances on underage boys and certainly not to pedophilia.

That said, I can completely understand finding the relationship uncomfortable. Armie Hammer looks way too old to be Oliver while Chalamet looks quite young and therefore the age gap between them looks more extreme than it is supposed to be. I didn’t particularly believe in the love story and found it uncomfortable to watch, but whether that was due to the age gap or the actors’ chemistry I’m not sure. Mostly I didn’t really warm to Armie Hammer.

I think there is an issue of perspective – the fantasy of an idyllic summer romance is supposed to be from Elio’s point of view. I even recall an interview or something where Ivory said something about this. Its about his first fling with this fantasy older man – there’s a significant difference between that and the perspective of an older man on seducing a teenager. I think that idea of perspective is a crucial difference between this and, say, Manhattan. However I don’t think it was entirely successfully pulled off – certainly it’s much less subjective than the book, we’re not as clearly immersed n Elio’s point of view, there’s a certain distance.

I don’t think the film is trying to sell their relationship to us as ideal, though. Doesn’t the last scene make that clear?

(Also, was anyone else reminded of Claire's Knee at any point or was that just me?)

Anyway, I’m not even in this HoF so will stop now. I do have mixed feelings on this movie but I absolutely love the song they used in the dancing scene. Such a great choice of something period-appropriate but not too obvious. Other period details like Elio’s rucksack were spot on too.

...I absolutely love the song they used in the dancing scene. Such a great choice of something period-appropriate but not too obvious. Other period details like Elio’s rucksack were spot on too.
Good post Thursday. That song, was it the Psychedelic Furs, Love My Way? If so yup, great song! I was thinking of using a line from it for a signature.

Oh, thank God I didn't have to watch Harold and Maude again. Hated that film.
Yeah I hated Harold and Maude, one of the most annoying movies I've seen.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Good post Thursday. That song, was it the Psychedelic Furs, Love My Way? If so yup, great song! I was thinking of using a line from it for a signature.
Yes! Great song.

Harold and Maude is on my top favorite list
Maude was OK, but Harold sucked Though I did approve of the ending

I doubt there's every been a movie made that all of us HOFers would love, well maybe The Wizard of Oz

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Naked (Mike Leigh, 1993)

I rarely review my own films on these HoFs, but I'll open an exception to this one.

First time I watched it, was a few weeks after my last year's break up (that eventually lead to a pretty horrible year). I think it was the first film I watched in fact, and if there's something about myself that I learned the past year is that I can't enjoy film if I'm not psychologically well, which mostly explains why I have been away from MoFo the past months.

So, the fact that I loved this so much even if I was going through chaotic times always confused me. Either it just spoke to a very particular state of mind I was in that time, or it was really a great film that managed to get to me despite of my state. To confirm which one was true, I rewatched it the week before thIs HoF started and I'm pleased to know it was the latter (although I'm positive that there's some truth in the former). In fact, I even enjoyed it more than in my first watch. I finished it and the first thing I wanted to do was to rewatch it again, which NEVER happened before.
I have been recommending this film to all my close friends who liked cinema since last March and they all said 2 things: "Amazing film." and "The guy reminds me of you". Although I'm not sure if I should be glad to be related to a conspiracy freak with a highly questionable sexual behaviour, I am quite attracted by his persona, the quick and straight answers, his sarcasm and freedom of speech and in a way I can see some similarities, especially with who I've become the past few months.

Of course this would never be possible without a few things: an impeccable script and direction by Mike Leigh (who is becoming one of my favourite directors lately), a brilliant use of soundtrack and a stunning performance by Thewlis, one of the greatest and perhaps most underrated actors in activity.

This second watch also confirmed what I already suspected, Naked is now part of the very restrict club of my
rated films. And I'm glad I found it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
You became an ahole?
ahahah! he's not a complete ahole xD
I was more refering to the fact that I became more sarcastic while being more outspoken about my thoughts. And I live in a very similar speed as he does...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ha yup joking. I remember Raul thought everyone would love Wizard of Oz and of course it didn't work out that way. My mom doesn't like that movie either, btw.
I was seriously surprised it didn't do well even with Miss Vicky hating it.

I watched Three Monkeys yesterday. Will try to get a write-up posted tonight. That just leaves Perfume and a rewatch of Call Me By Your Name.

Started Waterloo Bridge couple of days ago but the bad audio quality on Youtube version and English not being my native language made it really hard to follow the dialogue. Hard to concentrate on the film when mostly focusing on what people say (and still missing some). Will try to continue soon(ish).

Started Waterloo Bridge couple of days ago but the bad audio quality on Youtube version and English not being my native language made it really hard to follow the dialogue. Hard to concentrate on the film when mostly focusing on what people say (and still missing some). Will try to continue soon(ish).
I know what you mean about poor audio making the film hard to watch. Can you find Waterloo Bridge online with subs? You can add subs if you have the movie downloaded.