Why is Captain Phasma even a character?

Tools    

The truth is in here
Seriously, people whine so much about Rey and Finn, but at least they have actual character arcs. Finn is all right, and Rey got some really great development in The Last Jedi. Not to mention Daisy Ridley really shines in the role.

When Phasma first shows up in The Force Awakens she's so insignificant to the story and used so minorly they didn't need to bother having her in there at all.
WARNING: spoilers below
And when she shows up in The Last Jedi they make it out like it's a big deal, but all you're thinking is "Oh right... She exists." And she's possibly even more pointless since the fight between her and Finn is so short, and she's killed off like nothing. What a terrific comeback!
It frustates me they seem to think she's an important character, but then she's barely used or utilized at all. Gwendolyn Christie is not bad, but man what a thankless role. Did they try to make a new Boba Fett or something? Because it doesn't work.

"Luck don't live out here."
She looks cool.

Honestly I dunno. I was hoping for much more Phasma in The Last Jedi as well, but I guess Johnson didn't really find her compelling enough to give her an actual arc.

The Phasma comic isn't bad. It at least gives us a little bit of back story her.

Captain Phasma is what happens when a soulless corporate machine tries to catch lightning in a bottle.

Boba Fett became one of the most popular characters in Star Wars despite being barely a bit player. He was lighting in a bottle, the combo of a cool costume, a cool ship, and a good voice actor. Not even Lucas could recapture that with Jango Fett on the Prequels, but Disney thought it was all just a matter of a formula (like everything else they do).

So they had a distinctive looking villain character that did nothing other than looking good and hunt down the Jedi's best buddy.

To use a wrestling term... Captain Phasma is a jobber. She looks cool but they don't do anything with her that is cool. Ideally Finn's story should have ended with him falling in love with Rose and Phasma killing both of them setting up a triangle with Phasma/Hux, Rey/Kylo, Poe/Leia.

Welcome to the human race...
I reckon it's that the three main Order villains are meant to be foils to the main Resistance heroes - Rey/Ren, Poe/Hux, Finn/Phasma. Phasma embodies what Finn fears and rejects about the Order, hence why they end up in conflict multiple times.

Still hoping she somehow comes back for Episode IX, though.

Such a disappointing waste of a character and she feels like she was just another toy to sell. I still quite like the newer Star Wars films, but the handling of her was a big disappointment.

WARNING: Some spoilers follow.
Finn's story arc in "The Last Jedi" suggests that he has not fully committed himself to the battle against the First Order. In "The Force Awakens" he was concerned initially with just getting away from them. I felt he had joined the Resistance by the end, when he helps to disable the shields for the Starkiller Base. But "The Last Jedi" shows him trying to escape the Resistence ship in a pod. So Phasma represents what he hates about the First Order and presents his opportunity to finally stand up against it. But to me the conflict between them seems shoehorned in and should have been saved for the next movie.
And I have no doubt her uniform was designed with a toy version in mind. Otherwise, she could be in just a standard stormtrooper's or officer's uniform.

i genuinely have no idea where the idea came from that she was supposed to be this awesome character and is somehow a missed opportunity. she served her purpose in a handful of scenes and then she went away. what the hell was she supposed to do?
criticker

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I think it's mostly because of the novels, however, it was so hilarious seeing her in every single promotional interview and she was only in the film for like 1 minute

You can't win an argument just by being right!
however, it was so hilarious seeing her in every single promotional interview and she was only in the film for like 1 minute
I had to look her up. LOL Diversity!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ-tN5FUMAAzDaX.jpg

In order to be able to connect Star Wars with Game of Thrones because Gwendolyn Christie is in it. And to sell toys. Otherwise theres no point at all to her existence. But to be honest I never thought much about Boba Fetts existence either. It wasnt quite as bad but he was fairly worthless too other than tracking down Solo. But he got too much screen time otherwise and Ive never really understood his hero worship. He was a huge disappointment in Return of the Jedi.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Dont even know why they brought her back for TLJ.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"