14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

What I really want to know regarding Passengers is what would you do?
That's the reason I chose it. I'm not a fan of big budget stuff otherwise, but the concept of what would you do, is interesting.

Legend in my own mind

The Hurricane (1999)

I watched this film the first time in roughly 2001 and I remember that I had enjoyed it but couldn't remember much about it.

I am a Denzel fan so was looking forward to watching it again and was sure that I wouldn't hate it based on those two things.

Once again, I enjoyed the film.

A hugely emotive story with powerful driving themes of injustice, hope and the power of friendship.

I enjoyed the style of the film as the first half is helped by a the possibility of a narration.
I thought that it worked well, when it could easily have taken away from the flow of the film.

The acting was good and believable (apart from John Hannahs Canadian accent) and the casting was good. Denzel was quality, and although the role wasn't a deviation from a lot of other roles of his, he was believable and played the part with authority.
The characters were largely well developed and likeable or loathsome enough, depending upon their role.

As I have already mentioned, the story was powerful with the sense of injustice almost tangible throughout.

As with other films that are "based on real events" I was keen to find out more via Google as the credits rolled. Slightly disappointed at the suggestion that there was quite a bit of poetic licence used but that didn't take away any of my enjoyment of the film.

A good nom, and I am pleased I got to watch it again.

When is the deadline date?
October 31st if I recall correctly

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
October 31st if I recall correctly
It was this. But I'm open to extending it to November 13th. Seems a few people have lost a bit of momentum that are just on the edge of finishing.

The Hurricane

I flat out hated this movie for almost an hour before it eventually won me over. I did a good amount of reading years ago about Rubin Carter thanks to the great song from Bob Dylan, so I had some familiarity about the story. Despite the disclaimer at the beginning of the movie about liberties taken, some of the film's historic inaccuracies were bothering me. Chief among them was the portrayal of Carter as a really good guy. The fact of the matter was that he was a pretty bad guy, at least when he was younger. Add that to what I felt was rather schmaltzy direction and a cliched story I've seen many times before, and I was both bored and disgusted. One thing that never got better was the soundtrack. It was just awful. If you're going to tell a true story from that era, spice it up with some era specific popular music, or at least much more than was given. I was hoping for a much more edgy film, and I was thinking if Martin Scorsese had directed it, it could have easily been a favorite. Thankfully, the story and Denzel Washington's performance won out. I even got a little teary eyed when he was set free. So, although this movie wasn't what I wanted and I had problems with it, ultimately I enjoyed it and came to the conclusion that it was a pretty good movie. One more thing; I thought it was pretty cool that Rod Steiger played the judge who set him free. Of course it was Steiger who played a racist in the director's great In the Heat of the Night.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
another set of great reviews from @cricket & @Sarge.
Felt the same about learning some of the actual history, and was glad that I waited, for the most part, to finish the movie before reading the history of the story.
Did not know it was the same director who did Heat of the Night, so, yeah, having Steiger in it, WAS a pretty cool selection.

With Passenger, SPOILERS!!
I was pretty hard put to say, exactly, what I would do. I do enjoy @MarkF's statement about just hanging out with the bartender and watching flicks.
I honestly DON'T know what I would do as the time went by and the months became years. . . and still, it would be disgustingly lucky to actually PICK someone that you actually connected with on so many levels. So, there's that.
Would the loneliness finally win out? Would, whatever computerized companionship was available on board finally lose it's enjoyment?

Another great lil aspect that @Miss Vicky mentioned, was, with the two living their lives out on the ship, there was a strong chance of children. Were there? It would put them in their late 60s to 80s depending on when it occurred, and did those children (here's an interesting discussion) have children of their own as well?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
With Passengers, SPOILERS!!
I was pretty hard put to say, exactly, what I would do. I do enjoy @MarkF's statement about just hanging out with the bartender and watching flicks.
I honestly DON'T know what I would do as the time went by and the months became years. . . and still, it would be disgustingly lucky to actually PICK someone that you actually connected with on so many levels. So, there's that.
Would the loneliness finally win out? Would, whatever computerized companionship was available on board finally lose it's enjoyment?

Another great lil aspect that @Miss Vicky mentioned, was, with the two living their lives out on the ship, there was a strong chance of children. Were there? It would put them in their late 60s to 80s depending on when it occurred, and did those children (here's an interesting discussion) have children of their own as well?

According to the trivia on IMDB, in the final scene of the original screenplay,
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "PASSENGERS"!!!!" spoilers below
the ship arrives in Homestead II (88 years later) and out of it comes Jim and Aurora's descendants.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
the ship arrives in Homestead II (88 years later) and out of it comes Jim and Aurora's descendants.
Really!?! I had assumed it was the rest of the passengers.

Thanks for posting that as I didn't know about that. But I'm glad they didn't do that scene. They should have used Cosmic's ending instead

Let the night air cool you off
I don't know if I will need the extension or not, but I still have five films to go. I think if I can just get over the hump and watch one movie, I might power through them quickly. It's just really hard to find motivation right now. And it's not just for this tournament. I still need to go to my old school and talk to them about stuff for next semester. I need to fill out job applications. I have a whole list of things to do, and it just keeps getting longer rather than shorter.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't know if I will need the extension or not, but I still have five films to go. I think if I can just get over the hump and watch one movie, I might power through them quickly. It's just really hard to find motivation right now. And it's not just for this tournament. I still need to go to my old school and talk to them about stuff for next semester. I need to fill out job applications. I have a whole list of things to do, and it just keeps getting longer rather than shorter.
You can do it buddy!

But seriously if you can't, it's understandable. We get it.

Who will be the sixth person to send a list
I’d love to send one - unfortunately, I haven’t watched these movies.

Another update of where everybody is at review wise:

Citizen Rules 12/12
Rauldc14 10/12
Yam12 8/12
Edarsenal 8/12
CosmicRunaway 9/12
Miss Vicky 10/12
Cricket 6/12
Nestorio 9/12
Sarge 4/12
Joel 8/12
Jiraffe 2/12