Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

For what it's worth, the rating's more for the film itself than the actual experience of seeing it in 3-D, which was in and of itself rather underwhelming.

Death Note (2017) -

Much better than I expected. Possible review to follow.
better than what I thought you would give it. Haven't seen it and don't plan 2.

Trading Places, watched it Last night. Absolutely superb. Denholm Elliot is wonderful in it

For what it's worth, the rating's more for the film itself than the actual experience of seeing it in 3-D, which was in and of itself rather underwhelming.

[
Yeah, I'm not too bothered about 3D. Would have been quite nice to have seen it again on the big screen, though.

Berlin Syndrome is the story of an Australian tourist who has been kidnapped by a German English teacher. It's sort of a hybrid of The Collector and Room. It's a watchable film, it almost feels like an episode of Black Mirror where the concept is the star of the film. Theresa Palmer is practically unrecognizable using her normal accent and having lost a bit of weight. Max Riemelt is also very good as he never goes over the top but rather stays calm and behaves as an almost passive aggressive kidnapper and rapist.

Much of the creepy horror stuff is held right under the surface that also plays into the dichotomy of the characters. She wants to stay alive and he wants to keep the housewife fantasy going. But while there were things in the film that I liked it's still a three and half star film. The plot always sorts of stays in second gear, it doesn't really play into the horror or thriller aspects that you would think the story would need to go through for it to be truly great. But it is a very watchable film

Do you see what happens larry!?
The last movie i watched is k shop... alot better than i expected.

The Circle. Emma Watson (yay!) is a struggling young woman whose best friend (Karen Gillan, yay!) gets her a job at a massive tech company known as The Circle, which is obsessed with connecting everything online and having the whole world, and everyone it, always under observation. Grateful and overawed at everything around her, Emma well and truly drinks the Kool-Aid, to the extent of agreeing to be "observed" basically all day, every day, and rapidly rises within the company to gain the ear of its founders (Tom Hanks and Patton Oswalt). But her involvement with the company gradually begins to erode at her friendships and family, and ultimately results in tragedy... This high-tech drama/thriller seems to have been widely panned, though I've no idea why, to be honest. It's well acted by all, certainly benefiting from the presence and charisma of Watson, Hanks and Gillan, and as an introverted anti-social git who hates social media anyway, I found it all very creepy and disturbing. It's also rather unsettling that both Watson's screen parents here, Bill Paxton and Glenne Headly, died between shooting and release. A solid flick.

'Breaker' Morant (1980, Bruce Beresford)
+
Excellent courtroom drama about the hypocrisy and meaninglessness of war. I struggled with it a bit the beginning but, as things got deeper into the plot and the court proceedings, it grew more and more interesting and opened up beautifully towards the end. Just an all-round great movie - expertly directed, acted and shot - that doesn't go the route of bombarding the viewer with shocking war violence and realism to get its point across, instead choosing to tell a simple and rather understated story, which leaves some room for lyricism and food for thought when it's over.

"The fact of the matter is that war changes men's natures. The barbarities of war are seldom committed by abnormal men. The tragedy of war is that these horrors are committed by normal men in abnormal situations. Situations in which the ebb and flow of everyday life have departed and have been replaced by a constant round of fear and anger, blood and death."

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Having seen the original Japanese live action films and seen pieces of the anime adaptation, I decided to keep an open mind when seeing this. The script takes the most important pieces of the manga but twists it with a sense of grounded reality and YA romance (vomit! LOL). The acting? Well, Nat Wolff tried a little too hard at times as Light, the young man who gets the Death Note, eventually questioning his actions. Margaret Qualley's Mia is more determined than Light in terms of killing criminal elements. The best acting comes from Lakeith Stanfield as L, the mysterious detective who has an at-times intimidating look but still keeps L's mannerism from manga while Jason Liles performs mo-cap with the great Willem Dafoe as the voice of the Shinigami Ryuk. However, there wasn't enough interactions between Light and Ryuk to keep the film going as much...perhaps there will be more if a sequel is going to be made (Director Adam Wingard did say he hopes there will be a sequel as he planned out a 2-part film)

If you are a faithful fan of the original source, anime, or Japanese live-action films, then you may just avoid it. If you've never even heard of it, chances are you might watch it once and find it entertaining nonetheless.

Final Rating: C-

Beauty And The Beast (2017)

Hmmmm... a live-action version of a cartoon version of a 1700s fairy tale.

One big problem though is there's some seriously overused auto-tuning going on whenever Emma Watson starts singing. It's that bad I spotted it in the first song.
The CGI also looks like something low-budget from the 1990s.

Standard modern day fairy-tale hokum that's good for kids around the age of 7-10... anyone else will either be bored or have earache after the first song.

Moon to [Protégé] (Tung-Shing Yee, 2007)
+
Delightful crime drama that some lesser offerings could learn a thing or two from

Rebecca (1940)

I saw this about 20 years ago with my wife. She remembered it well while I didn't remember it at all. It took me some time to get into it, but ultimately I came to feel that this is director Hitchcock's best movie. All of the fine points you look for in a movie are here in abundance. For the time being I'll say I prefer Psycho and Dial M for Murder, but if I watch Rebecca again, I believe that will change.
That's one from my Top 10 on my profile I've only seen it once but it made an impact. I do need to catch it again one of these days.

Christine (2016)
-

Wifey wanted to watch a lifetime movie but agreed to watch something else if I could find a movie that interested her. This is what we settled on, and a big reason she chose it is because it's based on a true story. We both love that kind of crap. Christine is about a reporter in the 70's who battled mental health/depression issues until a tragic end. The movie does a nice job capturing the era with it's look and some era specific popular music. The story is a sad one and the performances are fine. It could have used a little more pizzazz but I enjoyed it.
I reviewed that one here I liked it pretty well and like you said it really captured the era of the 70's.