MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

I don't think Force Awakens is amazing but both times i've seen it i have had fun watching it and i didn't expect much going in so that was enough. Looking forward to Episode 8.

People complain about how hollow The Force Awakens feels and that it's only a fan service film. I'll take that over the aesthetically fake and horribly acted prequels any day of the week. Even with those elements present in the movie, it's still an entertaining flick that manages to start a new story where no one knows the end. With all these comic book adaptations of stories we know from the comics, or remakes or YA adaptations, we all know how those stories are going to end. This is actually a fresh thing to see in the theatres now, a film series that will be new, no matter how familiar it will feel.
I wouldn't call it hollow, but I don't think it's nearly as charming as Star Wars once was. Prequels are a mess. I have a weird soft spot for the second one, despite that being the most hated, but I could probably watch Force Awakens more than those...

I don't agree with all this "new" feel you are talking about. To me it felt old, the story wasn't exciting and despite that one scene
WARNING: "force awakens" spoilers below
Han Solo dying
I never really felt like I cared or like a lot was at stake. I liked Rogue One a lot less than this one, yet still I feel like the climax created better excitement than Force Awakens - and that despite of how we mostly knew how it was going to end.

I just wish the story was better. It's high production value, but the story is disappointing, considering how long a gap there has been since we last experienced the universe...

I don't think Force Awakens is amazing but both times i've seen it i have had fun watching it and i didn't expect much going in so that was enough. Looking forward to Episode 8.
My expectations were pretty damn high, since the teaser trailer was AMAZING and I had stayed away from any kind of response on the movie. I knew nothing, basically...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I don't agree with all this "new" feel you are talking about.
New as in, despite the story feeling familiar, we have no idea where it's heading. It's something new for a franchise to do this. Even the new Planet of the Apes movies, we know what the inevitable outcome will be. This we do not.

Suspect's Reviews

New as in, despite the story feeling familiar, we have no idea where it's heading. It's something new for a franchise to do this. Even the new Planet of the Apes movies, we know what the inevitable outcome will be. This we do not.
I guess I can see where you are coming from and I do understand your point here, but Force Awakens was still a little too predictable in my opinion, to really feel like an unknown journey.

The starting point was better a better example than the execution, I guess, when it comes to this "new feeling", at least for me.

But indeed it is a problem, that so much these days is based in cinematic universes or sequels and prequels, where the excitement really do disappear because of the fact that we know so much about the movie already, the characters, and what comes before and after... it's a shame.

So did I. At least it tried to deliver the goods to the original audience that bankrolled the entire franchise.
I guess that's why I didn't like it too much... I'm not the original audience.

Anyways, If y'all want another person's review, which is much more thorough and that kind of echo my thoughts of this movie, then read Iro's review. I very much agree with that too.

But of course, it's easy to see why one might like Force Awakens. I just didn't like it - and didn't for the same reasons that people probably did like it.

So did I. At least it tried to deliver the goods to the original audience that bankrolled the entire franchise.
I guess that's why I didn't like it too much... I'm not the original audience.

Anyways, If y'all want another person's review, which is much more thorough and that kind of echo my thoughts of this movie, then read Iro's review. I very much agree with that too.

But of course, it's easy to see why one might like Force Awakens. I just didn't like it - and didn't for the same reasons that people probably did like it.

I hear you, man. I just don't know how the series could improve unless they brought in casting that wasnt so obligatorily charismatic. You could say the same for the veteran cast for sure. I guess the fact that they keep going got tiring for me. It doesnt feel fresh no matter who you throw in there. Im definitely biased to the film look and original cast. I see where you're coming from, though.

I hear you, man. I just don't know how the series could improve unless they brought in casting that wasnt so obligatorily charismatic. You could say the same for the veteran cast for sure. I guess the fact that they keep going got tiring for me. It doesnt feel fresh no matter who you throw in there. Im definitely biased to the film look and original cast. I see where you're coming from, though.
For sure. And I also pointed out in the review that I did respect and understand the decision to do a movie like this, at this point in time and state of the franchise... What really matters and when we can really judge the state of Star Wars, is with episode 8 coming in December...

They got the ground work and fundament up, now it's time to play with it... How will they do that. That's the exciting part.

For sure. And I also pointed out in the review that I did respect and understand the decision to do a movie like this, at this point in time and state of the franchise... What really matters and when we can really judge the state of Star Wars, is with episode 8 coming in December...

They got the ground work and fundament up, now it's time to play with it... How will they do that. That's the exciting part.
Are we ever going to see a Star Wars film without the principal characters? Rogue One was kind of like this, I want to see the world beyond a film that has a Skywalker in it.

Are we ever going to see a Star Wars film without the principal characters? Rogue One was kind of like this, I want to see the world beyond a film that has a Skywalker in it.
I'm fine with the principal characters, they just need to take them in new and more refreshing directions - and Skywalker actually looks to be just what we are looking for, funningly enough.

But I too want to see a world without him. Without them. I thought Rogue One was going to be that, but it kinda ended up feeling more safe than Force Awakens when thinking of how exciting and different it should have been, considering they could do anything they wanted since it was a story in between stories....

But I too want to see a world without him. Without them. I thought Rogue One was going to be that, but it kinda ended up feeling more safe than Force Awakens when thinking of how exciting and different it should have been, considering they could do anything they wanted since it was a story in between stories....
Wouldn't that mean they can't do whatever they want? They are held to the predetermined notions of A New Hope. A story completely separate can do whatever it wants for sure. Rogue One didn't feel like that too much.

Wouldn't that mean they can't do whatever they want? They are held to the predetermined notions of A New Hope. A story completely separate can do whatever it wants for sure. Rogue One didn't feel like that too much.
I know we have a starting point and an ending point, but the story in between is completely disposable as long as we wind up the same place. That means all new characters and all story beats not directly connected to the eventual outcome, can be screwed with.

I'm hoping they keep some of the nostalgia charm intact while branching out sotry-wise and adding ***** that will blow people's hair back. New cast, new direction - I'm all for it! It'd be nice to keep up with the analog goodness. New director - might be a better fit. Maybe he'll fuse the analog/digital nicely like TFA did? I'm very excited that Mark Hammil is making bank again. He was doing voice overs and conventions and now here he is, on top of the world again. That makes me very happy. I don;t know what kind of person he is, but it's a documentary I'd like to see. Such a long time. Hope he invests in the franchise if he hasn't already.

movies can be okay...
I actually enjoyed Force Awakens more than the original trilogy, but that's still not saying much.

Not to hate on the Star Wars franchise, I'm sure it was a fabulous experience watching it when it first came out, but looking at it now it really didn't age well. I mean at this point, the only way I can find any enjoyment out of what I'm seeing is if I consider the films as a comedy. The constant cheese, predictability, conveniences, lack of realism and weak acting throughout the original trilogy was a substantial struggle to get through, the only remarkable thing about the series is its score, now that is still pretty damn fantastic.

As for the Force Awakens, I personally wouldn't consider it a great film but I had a blast watching it, sure it was still predictable at times, and it obviously hit the same beats as A New Hope, but I will take that any day over this:
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

But the things you didn't like about it, @Okay, was part of its charm and why people fell in love with it. I understand if you wouldn't click with such things, but being a big space soap opera with cheesy romance and melodrama and whatnot, that's Star Wars for ya...

I actually enjoyed Force Awakens more than the original trilogy, but that's still not saying much.

Not to hate on the Star Wars franchise,
As you proceed to actually hate on it

When the OT came out it wasn't dated and predictable nearly as much as it is now, obviously. It's not like human beings were in their infancy intelligence-wise. It was just some sugar coating that made everyone feel safe. There was still plenty of pessimism/cynicism going around. I mean, it was the 70's and 80's! It's a shame if you happened to miss out and not see this when it was still new because it was a great piece of history. With that said, there has to be films that hit all of those notes that are more modern and less unrealistic, right? I'd be interested to have a few recommendations, myself. I'm serious.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I didnt like it either, but I havent liked the franchise since the first trilogy, and have to come clean and say the franchise itself wrecked franchises for me. I wanted to like it because the trailer got me pretty hyped up, but I didnt like the two young lead characters, or the oldies coming back.

To finish on a positive, the two young actors were really good, and eventhough I got a spoiler just before seeing it, the death was something I've been wishing for. I think he wished for it as well.