Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I think that's when I really started taking notice of him. Phenomenal acting. And Cate Blanchett -wow.

Stage Fright (1987)

-

Not a great slasher from their best era. This one features actors rehearsing for a play, and someone is picking them off. It's not terrible for horror fans and does have it's moments, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Baby Driver (2017) rewatch

Yes, I went again already. A friend asked and I thought "why the hell not". It's a great cinema experience and you have so much fun, especially if you know and look for Wright's little details. And that also why I had no problem seeing it again.

WARNING: "Baby Driver" spoilers below
I noticed a lot more of the graffiti on the walls in the opening sequences spelling out the song.

I also noticed Edgar's love for foreshadowing. When Baby was flipping through the channels at the beginning on the tv, it basically tells us what will happen. It opens with "you are so beautiful" an obvious reference to him meeting the girl. Then something about "how's that working out for you" and then the Monters Inc quote - both of which are used in the film at key moments. Then the last channel clip we see is some bull fighting and the commentator says he has tried everything, even horseback, but had to go to running to complete it. That's basically the finale. He gives up horse(power) to run from the police in a great action sequence. Pretty clever.

And then I saw the ending in jail the inmates had "D.O.C." written on their clothes. A short for the prison clearly but also a reference to who got him into this crap, Kevin Spacey or Doc.

The movie flowed a little better second time around and I appreciated the quieter scenes more and saw more in them. It's not quite a 4.5/5 yet but we are getting there....

+

This might just do nobody any good.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

Ever time I read a review of the Apes franchise I truly consider checking them out. I was a HUGE fan of the originals as a kid and for some reason continued to stay clear of them.
Seriously rethinking that.
I'm re-watching "Dawn" and I'm still amazed at how well crafted it is. It feels too rare seeing a film that balances popcorn entertainment and interesting, heady ideas and themes.

It's a nigh perfect character film. Everyone gets room to grow (I love the subtlety in Oldman's development). You also gotta appreciate how the film often plays as a silent one. Purely visual storytelling is always appreciated by me.

Side note/bemoan: I really, really wish J.J. Abrams had called upon the film's director and Cloverfield collaborator, Matt Reeves, for Star Wars.

He's infinitely more talented than the Jurassic World guy.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Very good, entertaining and absurd.
Thoroughly enjoyed this film as well. Should do a rewatch someday

Trouble with a capital "T"

My Darling Clementine (John Ford, 1946)

Another strong movie from John Ford with a memorable performance by Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp...and Victor Mature as Doc Holliday. Stunning cinematography.

My full review

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	960.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	32134  

Wonder Woman

The Circle

~Groundhog Day~

The Wizard of Lies (2017)

My wife picked this one out. Although I'm a big fan of movies based on true stories, I was never particularly interested in this story. I thought the movie was carried by Robert De Niro in the lead role. The only problem with that is I never forgot I was watching De Niro. I think it would have been more effective to have a lesser known actor play Bernie Madoff, but only if the rest of the movie had been better. There were plenty of effective scenes, but it was a little inconsistent. I love Michelle Pfieffer, but there was something about her performance or how it was written that screamed made-for-TV movie based on a true story. Overall I enjoyed it.

Welcome to the human race...
Spider-Man -

This held up a lot better than I expected, plus it's fun to watch this and pick up on the Evil Dead references I would've missed as a kid.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

More than stands up to a rewatch. Gut wrenching final sequence.

A Promise (2011)

Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror (1922, F.W. Murnau)

Great. Probably the only 3 hour movie where the film felt shorter than 3 hours for me. The performances from Lancaster and Schell are bloody fantastic! One thing that annoyed me was the pointless zoom ins, they are used extremely randomly when nothing surprising is about to be said. I see that the director has produced many well received films (Inherit the Wind, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner) and I'm very excited to check out all of them, mostly Inherit the Wind though because I find religion to be a VERY interesting subject.

8/10