Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wild Grass (2009, Alain Resnais)

A quirky romantic story told in a way only Resnais could tell it. The seemingly frivolous and trite plot expectedly reveals more depth and subtlety as it progresses and manages to be beguiling throughout due to Resnais' peculiar cinematic language, which keeps the viewer intrigued as to the director's intent and not totally sure where the story's taking him.

Can't say I liked it all that much but it was an oddly fascinating watch.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Teresa Wright was excellent. Very enjoyable characters. Some are just wacky.

Legend in my own mind

Straight outta Compton 2015

I really enjoyed watching this film.
I am not sure how accurate it is in terms of events or characters but I enjoyed the journey.

movies can be okay...
Whispers (2015 or 2017, who really cares):

This is a giant piece of ****, and I couldn't even make it past the 10 minutes mark.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Whispers (2015 or 2017, who really cares):

This is a giant piece of ****, and I couldn't even make it past the 10 minutes mark.
LOL. There should be a single piece of popcorn for movies like that. It's like leaving a 5 cent tip to show utter contempt for terrible service.

movies can be okay...
LOL. There should be a single piece of popcorn for movies like that. It's like leaving a 5 cent tip to show utter contempt for terrible service.
Hahaha, it literally failed in every level possible and imaginable in a matter of 5 minutes, but I humbly stuck around for another 5 minutes just to make sure that what I'm seeing is in fact total garbage. And the only reason why I even saw this in the first place is because it has a good rating in IMDB and many users gave it a 10 out of 10...HOWWWWWW ??????

Hahaha, it literally failed in every level possible and imaginable in a matter of 5 minutes, but I humbly stuck around for another 5 minutes just to make sure that what I'm seeing is in fact total garbage. And the only reason why I even saw this in the first place is because it has a good rating in IMDB and many users gave it a 10 out of 10...HOWWWWWW ??????
Shills and trolls. It's why I never used that system.

I wouldn't be surprised if the members of its cast and crew are responsible for that.
The rating system over there is useless. They even have shills hacking accounts somehow to give 'legitimate' ratings. Myself and some cyber bodies suddenly found one day we had rated Brady Bunch Movie 10. LOL. I've never rated a movie in all the years over there, and I've never even seen that movie.

Anyhoo, I'll take your word for it that it's a pile of poop and wont be putting it on my watchlist. Thanks for the headsup.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I recommend that instead of paying attention to the ratings on the individual IMDb movie page, you [click on the voters listed directly under the rating and] use the rating for the top 1000 voters (which includes me) to see a much more realistic rating. It still won't be personal but almost always closer to reality.

Woman of the Year (1942)

Opposites attract as characters played by Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn fall in love and get married. I always love Tracy, but I usually find that Hepburn rubs me the wrong way, even though I acknowledge her acting ability and screen presence. They were both excellent in this movie and well suited for their roles. It's obviously a romantic film with a mix of comedy and drama, and it's the dramatic side that worked better for me. It's all executed quite well, yet nothing about it grabbed me.

The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

A very fun epic adventure. It seemed like Connery and Caine really enjoyed filming and they were a great duo because of it.

Meantime (1984)...some movie sites and a Wiki say 1983, but still some others stick with 1984. As it was first aired on British TV, maybe someone could let me know?

Watched my first Mike Leigh movie and while, knowing me, it shouldn't have been my cup o' tea, I really enjoyed it. I was hooked from scene one. All about a East End family living on relief who argue, show their greed (mostly the parents), and reveal their frustration about their life in general. I think that is really what this movie is about: frustration. Over their situation in life and their expectations, which more than often don't work out. I went into this expecting a downer but it's really not. The characters had me riveted. Tim Roth plays the younger son, Colin, who is supposedly slow in mind, but watching him, it's apparent he understands everything going on around him---he just doesn't speak out about it..much. His older brother, Mark (Phil Daniels) is sarcastic and mouthy to everyone, has no job just like his parents, and seemingly is jealous when their aunt offers Colin a job, but Mark thinks she has an ulterior motive. The parents lord it over Colin. Colin has a crazy skinhead friend (Gary Oldman, in one of his first roles). But, despite all this, in the end, it's fairly optimistic. I liked this movie.

Poltergeist (2015)

Let me preface this by saying that I never was a huge fan of the original. It was titled "Poltergeist," not "Everything But the Kitchen Sink." That was my general take on the movie. Good, but not a classic. I liked the pace and the explanation of the need to have so many spirits in the movie. Plus Sam Rockwell. It's got Sam Rockwell. It already gets three popcorn bags for that. They didn't overdo the house-built-on-a-cemetery thing by having skeletons show up all over the place in the last half. Just a few. Instead, we get to see
WARNING: spoilers below
inside the other dimension that the young daughter is sucked into
and I thought that was a nice twist. There are some things they repeat but not a lot. Be shocked if you will but I liked this version better than the first.