Same Movie, Same Year

Tools    

There are many movies out there that are so similar and were released within months of each other.Name your pair of movies and let us know who did it better. I'm going to go with Bugs Life and Antz.

These two are very similar and it's hard to say which one is better. I like both stories, one that tells of a guy who tries to break the social norms, while the other tells of a guy who finds the strength and courage to fight in a war similar to David Vs. Goliath. However, I like the appearance and visual effects utilized in Bugs Life and will have to make that my verdict.

What about you? What's your pair and who won?

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Eh. Armageddon and Deep Impact. For better or worse, I honestly thought Armageddon was better. I type this as a lonely guilt-laden tear rolls down my right cheek.

I don't actually wear pants.
Eh. Armageddon and Deep Impact. For better or worse, I honestly thought Armageddon was better. I type this as a lonely guilt-laden tear rolls down my right cheek.
Isn't Deep Impact supposed to suck, too? Armageddon does, I know that.

Hm, how similar are Illusionist and Prestige from 2006? I haven't seen the former, but I've heard they're similar.

I can't think of any other examples, but I know there are some.

And we definitely should NOT include Saving Private Ryan/Thin Red Line, and No Country for Old Men/There Will Be Blood. Coming out the same year with the same genre does not a similar film make.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
How about Air Force One and Con Air? Released in 1997, both are "Die Hard on a plane."

This might just do nobody any good.

Both mediocre but the Kristen Stewart one is visually interesting, at least.

I'm not 100% sure these two weren't the same movie. Actually, I'm pretty sure Eddie Redmayne was set to star in the Alan Turing one for a trilogy of "begging for an Oscar" biopics.

movies can be okay...
Three Identical movies in the same year !

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Babe: Pig In The City is better than Babe and Gordy put together.
I. Haven't heard of horny but pig in the city better than babe? No way.

Not horny. Stupid autocorrect

OK, technically there was about a year between the release of the two films, but the subject matter of both films was practically identical:

Both films recounted Truman Capote's travels to Kansas as part of his research for his novel In Cold Blood...I preferred Hoffman's Capote and Catherine Keener's Harper Lee in Capote, but I liked Daniel Craig a lot better as Perry Smith in Infamous than Clifton Collins Jr. in Capote

Not the same, but very similar.

Gentleman's Agreement
Crossfire

All About Eve
Sunset Boulevard
Except for the fact that the main character in both films are actresses, I really don't see a lot of similarity between All About Eve and Sunset Boulevard.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Except for the fact that the main character in both films are actresses, I really don't see a lot of similarity between All About Eve and Sunset Boulevard.
Both are considered washed up, one more than the other of course, one is totally done. One has one movie left in her. Both movies show the many sides of showbiz. Eve is the opportunist, and in Sunset, it's Holden's character. Both movies have a cynical edge too.

Holden's chracter was a house-boy (ha ha) and at first, Eve was the house-girl.. But as things progressed, they became more independent and things get bumpy!