The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oh, there's nothing wrong with Paul Verhoeven. He directed Basic Instinct, yes?

Well if you actually checked out some of the clubs before bashing them and taking the piss, then you'd know the answer to this question.

Well if you actually checked out some of the clubs before bashing them and taking the piss, then you'd know the answer to this question.
I'll.... check out that ultimate Paul Verhoeven filmography you wrote.

I know a lot of people genuinely respect Planet of the Apes, but I don't. I find it incredibly cheesy and ridiculous. That's not a bad thing, though. Cheesy and ridiculous often equates to entertaining and that's the case for me here. I've been entertained by this movie since I was a kid and I voted for it at #24.

I haven't seen Close Encounters.

My Ballot:
1. Her
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Wreck-it Ralph
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Demolition Man
9. The Fifth Element
12. Signs
13. The Road Warrior
14. The Incredibles
21. Dark City
22. Total Recall
24. Planet of the Apes
25. Caveman

Close Encounters of the Third Kind was my #21. I'm especially in love with the long final sequence at the station. Spielberg captured a really special kind of atmosphere there.

Planet of the Apes was my #22. Like @Miss Vicky, I used to just see it as a great entertaining flick, but after it was used in an especially controversial and provocative manner in a certain episode in Mad Men (S06E05), I started seeing it in a wholly different light. It suddenly became a film about one of humanity's most deeply rooted anxieties: to lose our dominance, our culture and our familiar way of living on our territory. Great film!

Because what is the POINT of these clubs anyway?

You click a button and all of a sudden you're part of a club. That's ALL you do.
From the very post where I announced them:

That's nice, but it's kinda sparse

It is! That's partly by design: instead of delaying this and adding features that may or may not be interesting to people, I decided to launch a bare-bones version so I can collect feedback and figure out what to add.

For example: do people mainly just want an easy way to signal who their favorite directors are, in the way they display their favorite movies? Do they want to be able to easily find lots of stuff about the director in one place? Do they want to make it easier for new people to discover them and start discussions about them? Or something else entirely?

That other Spielberg film I was talking about yesterday has indeed arrived. It's my favourite film by Spielberg, and in fact one of the few films made by him that I actually like.

My list so far, with predictions:
1. Top 5 (title contender)
2. Top 10
3. Contact (#49)
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#18)
5. Interstellar (#43)
6. Inception (#24)
7. Won't make it
8. Top 16
9. Ex Machina (#30)
10. Children of Men (#20)
11. Avatar (#80)
12. Top 5 (title contender)
13. Top 10
14. Won't make it
15. Dune (#99)
16. Top 16, almost certainly
17. Won't make it
18. Won't make it
19. Metropolis (#36)
20. Won't make it
21. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (#35)
22. Gattaca (#51)
23. Serenity (#59)
24. Strange Days (#81)
25. Earthbound (one-pointer)

I almost forgot about Planet of the Apes, but in the end it made it onto my list at #14, and that has as much to do with the whole film series. Each subsequent movie has a smaller budget and feels more like B-movies, and it gets harder to look past the illogic of the premise, but nonetheless I love the entire series. Now I hate Tim Burton's version and though the reboots have been good movies, I just can't find myself escaping into that world. The series is helped by the fact they come across as corny, and like the best of all B-movies, they're able to tap into the anxieties and concerns of our times in interesting ways, which none of the bigger budget remakes/reboots have managed to as effectively, if at all.

My List:

3. Metropolis (#36)
5. Brazil (#32)
6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#46)
9. World on a Wire (#73)
11. Forbidden Planet (#38)
14. Planet of the Apes (#17)
15. Total Recall (#19)
17. Moon (#29)
18. Solaris (#23)
22. Logan’s Run (#71)
25. Ghost in the Shell (#64)

All right! Two from my list and films that I truly love to watch. I really thought Close Encounters of the Third Kind would be in the Top Ten as it a movie that shows aliens as benevolent instead of evil invaders (not that there's anything wrong with that. ) Anyway, love both of these and so glad they're on the list.

My list so far:
List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#5 Close Encounter of the Third Kind .17
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#12 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial .21
#13. Planet of the Apes .18
#15 The Road Warrior .31
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan .35
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71
#24 RoboCop .28
#25 The Fifth Element .34

My list so far:

3. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
4. War of the Worlds (1953)
5. Forbidden Planet
7. The Time Machine (1960)
9. Planet of the Apes (1968)
11. Logan's Run
12. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
16. Road Warrior
17. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
21. Robocop
22. Independence Day
23. Starship Troopers
25. District 9

Heh! I had to edit this post = totally forgot I even had Close Encounters on my list! Once again, it puts me and Dadgum in closer range of each other.

I kind of forgot about Close Encounters. I was planning to rewatch it but it completely slipped my mind. I didn't vote for Planet of the Apes either, and it was actually dropped from my shortlist much sooner than the modern films, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Seen: 72/84
My List: 16

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66
03. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - #35
04. The Martian (2015) - #60
08. Metropolis (1927) - #36
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
10. Brazil (1985) - #32
11. Dark City (1998) - #48
14. Robocop (1987) - #28
16. Videodrome (1983) - #53
18. Forbidden Planet (1956) - #38
19. Arrival (2016) - #33
21. The Road Warrior (1981) - #31
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81
23. Ex Machina (2015) - #30
25. Primer (2004) - #44

I'll do this classic update thingy too, then...

17. Twelve Monkeys*(1995)
18. Close Encounters of the Third Kind*(1977)
We'll I got one of them right at least.

Twelve Monkeys tomorrow then...

Oh, and I had Planet of the Apes at #16 on my list. That movie surprised me quite a bit. It surpassed the hype for me personally. Great film. I wrote a review that I like for that one too, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Edit: came out of my laziness...

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
133 .......................... 123

April 30th

—— 1968 ——
Planet of the Apes
—— sci-fi ——
EXTENDED REVIEW

Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn.
Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed.

The first film I ever saw from this franchise was in fact not truly a genuine part of it, but instead a poor and bizarre struggle at a pretended reimagining, done by no other than the shadowy and shady director, Tim Burton. Luckily though, the franchise was successfully revived in 2011, and a sequel followed soon after on top of that. Both of these films I had a great time with, and I have always wanted to see where all this originated from. But I must admit though, that the questionable make-up and cheesy appearance have thrown me off for some years, even considering the fact that I really haven’t made that judgment from anything more than some photos and short video clips... Shame on me indeed, because this film was spectacular.

When the film started out, my impulsive uncertainties was already beginning to weigh in over my head, mainly because it looked just as cheap and cheesy as I had thought beforehand. The “green screen technology” of yesterday is far from impressive to look at, and the design of the spaceship in the opening looked boring and characterless from the inside, at first glance. And when the ship began to fall towards the ground, the somewhat perplexed perspective psychosis was turned up on high volume, and the director’s strange and lazy attempt at creating excitement and a feeling of dropping, was almost laughable. When our trio of characters finally became earthbound, there were some beautiful landscape shots to feast the eyes with, and you could certainly feel the mysterious atmosphere among the eternal deserted backdrop. A few interesting things happened following this, but it isn’t until half an hour in that this film makes its (titular) entrance! When the apes came racing furiously and dominantly into the picture, that is when the film became really interesting for me. This chase scene felt intense and existing and happened to be rather well shot, even despite previous complains of direction, and from there, the film pretty much got better by every minute.

At first the audience is gently introduced to this new upside down phenomenon of apes above the human race, which makes for some interesting and occasionally funny remarks and visual amusements. There are sections of dialogue touching upon hierarchy and the very purpose of a given species, which is all quite fascinating. But when the film goes all in, debating the very rights of a living creature, as well as their ideologies, viewpoints and beliefs – whether religiously or scientifically – that is when the film moves to a whole other level of genius and thought provoking filmmaking! The multi-subjected discussions of politics, and the sharp comparisons to the every day society, as well as the worrying future of it, are all brilliantly executed, and show a lot of control and confidence throughout. And still, the film isn’t shy of delivering a fun sentence here and there, or throw in some inventive visual references…

Overall this is a fantastic and groundbreaking film that equally entertains and provokes its audiences, without ever loosing sight of subject or story. This is also one of those films that – despite the admirable but rather dated special and practical effects – still stands as a timeless piece of essential cinema, that will continue to impress audiences for centuries to come. Maybe not for its visual look but undeniably for its infinite themes and generally thought provoking approach. And despite its fair share of “thematic heaviness”, this is still a fun and entertaining film on the outside, and you never feel like suffocating from any kind of forced attitude or plain point of view – every thought and every theme is elegantly wrapped in a fine package of intellectual entertainment. But I will say that it isn’t truly mandatory to dive headlong into this film to have a great time. You can also just let your eyes and ears do most of the talking, and still leave fairly satisfied. With that said though, it is arguably the finely balanced approach that makes this film work as well as it does. Hit Girl, you hit the spot with this nomination, and I’m thankful and glad to finally be apel (spelling mistake intended) to experience this glorious masterpiece for myself.

Not seen Close Encounters yet tough I've had a few close encounters without ever actually watching it... yes. Had to do it.

Must be doin sumthin right
Also... predictions...

I'm probably completely wrong on this. As I've come to learn, I suck at knowing the taste of this forum... This time I tried combining my gut feeling with the opposite of what I would usually do. And this is what came out of it. I don't know, let's see...

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey*(1968)
2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day*(1991)
3. Star Wars*(1977)
4. The Empire Strikes Back*(1980)
5. The Terminator*(1984)
6. Alien*(1979)
7. Blade Runner*(1982)
8. Back to the Future*(1985)
9. The Matrix*(1999)
10. Aliens*(1986)
11. The Thing*(1982)
12. A Clockwork Orange*(1971)
13. The Fly (1986)
14. Jurassic Park*(1993)
15. Planet of the Apes*(1968)
16. WALL.E*(2008)
17. Twelve Monkeys*(1995)
18. Close Encounters of the Third Kind*(1977)
Kinda surprising if Spielberg's AI misses out. Maybe it takes Clockwork Orange's spot if people don't think of that as science fictiony enough or even Jurassic Park

SWEET! I was worried Planet of the Apes would not show! I am so glad it did! There needs to be at least on Heston movie on the MoFo sci-fi list! I had Planet of the Apes at 22. I remember seeing this movie when I was a kid, and being blown away by it. It is a fantastic movie and introduced me to one of my all time favorite actors Charlton Heston.

I have seen Close Encounters, but not since I was a kid. I did not vote for it.

1. Top 5 easy good chance at #1
2. Stalker (1979)
3. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
4. The Avengers (2012)
5. Should be top 15
6. The other possible number 1.
7. The Road Warrior (1981)
8. Has to be somewhere in the top 15
9. Predator (1987)
10. Not gonna make it
11. Will make it I am sure
12. Will make it easy
13. I am probably the only one who voted for this movie
14. Should be top 15
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
16. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
18. Gravity (2013)
19. This will show
20. Escape from New York (1981)
21. Independence Day (1996)
22. Planet of the Apes (1968)
23. Top 10
24. I would think top 20 to top 15
25. Top 10

My List: 12
Seen: 65/84

Nice! I had Close Encounters at #9, and Planet of the Apes at #7.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That makes five in a row - this time #6 & #7.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Steven Spielberg, 1977)

Richard Dreyfuss gives his greatest performance as visionary power lineman Roy Neary, caught in an enigma he cannot understand but refuses to ignore, even at the expense of losing his family. Spielberg tells the story impressionistically with a series of striking scenes which he never really explains and leaves it up to the audience to tie the thing together. In that way, we experience the film the same way as Neary and his family do. There is also a scientific team, led by François Truffaut, trying to figure out what's going on, but rest assured, things come to a beautifully-moving conclusion. In fact, the final 45 minutes is almost like a mini-movie opera all by itself, but one which is suffused in warm light and hope with no tragedy.
Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968)
+

No matter how many times I watch the original Planet of the Apes, I come away thinking that it borders on being a perfect movie. I mean, I see some continuity errors and a lapse in logic here and there, but none of those mistakes are significant at all. What IS significant is the beauty of Rod Serling's and Michael Wilson's screenplay and Franklin J. Schaffner's brilliant direction, especially his use of locations in the Southwestern U.S. I am one of the few people around here who actually believes that Charlton Heston is an excellent actor, and this is his best, most-complex performance in my opinion. The way he can be all for himself and think that being "prepared to die" is a ridiculous notion, whether for your country or any other reason, immediately makes me like his cynical character. I need to mention Jerry Goldsmith's score, which I also believe to be his best; it's just one of the weirdest things you'll ever hear which perfectly suits the film, and yes, I mean it may even be weirder than a Morricone score. The ideas which the film presents concerning evolution, religion, and the treatment of animals are all spot-on, and when you add in one of the greatest endings in film history, I don't think I need to repeat my original point again.
My List
3. The Incredibles (#98)
6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#18)
7. Planet of the Apes (1968) (#17)
8. Total Recall (#19)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)
17. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (#21)
18. Gravity (#41)
20. RoboCop (#28)
23. Mad Max: Fury Road (#37)
25. Children of Men (#20)

Seen: 84/84
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 37/84

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
2. Total Recall (1990)
6. Altered States (1980)
7. Predator (1987)
8. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
10. Minority Report (2002)
11. Contact (1997)
12. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
13. Arrival (2016)
18. RoboCop (1987)