The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I happened to watch Mad Max Fury Road yesterday for the second time and I enjoyed it much better. The last time I didn't pay much attention latter on in the movie. To be honest I couldn't even remember the ending.

I happened to watch Mad Max Fury Road yesterday for the second time and I enjoyed it much better. The last time I didn't pay much attention latter on in the movie. To be honest I couldn't even remember the ending.
Maybe you should change your username?

Well at least you watched it, I shut if off after only 5 minutes.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Metropolis

Wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 3rd, 4th (x2), 5th, 8th (x2), 12th, 19th, 20th, 22nd, 24th

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

This is the last tie of the list! Another film had 164 points, but was on one more list.

Layout: 1st, 3rd (x2), 6th, 10th, 14th, 16th (x2), 17th (x2), 21st, 24th

Well at least you watched it, I shut if off after only 5 minutes.
I know it's not for everyone but can i ask what annoyed you so much in the first 5 minutes for you to turn it off? That's just the part where Max gets captured right?

Seen neither. I really should have watched Metropolis, will do soon. Don't like Star Trek, the only film that i've seen is Generations which i did not like. Might give Wrath of Khan a shot sometime since it is usually seen as the best.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

This is the last tie of the list! Another film had 164 points, but was on one more list.

Layout: 1st, 3rd (x2), 6th, 10th, 14th, 16th (x2), 18th, (x2), 21st, 24th
Okay, something's wrong here because according to my list, I had The Wrath of Khan at #15. And I don't see a 15 listed among the layout.

The odd thing is - I'm not really a fan of The Wrath of Khan. I just wanted to include it on my list (yet, for some reason, I forgot to include Independence Day).

I like the ending with Spock.

I've seen part of Metropolis.

As for Trek, like with Star Wars and superhero/comic movies, I omitted them

I had Metropolis in the 150+ movies I'd initially shortlisted , but ultimately knew it was going to make it so cut it.

I know it's not for everyone but can i ask what annoyed you so much in the first 5 minutes for you to turn it off? That's just the part where Max gets captured right?
I talked about that reason in the 8th Hof. If you read this post
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...46#post1397946

and then scan ahead a bit more we talked about it for a while, mainly me and MovieMeditation.

Edit: I see I watched it a full 12 minutes

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...30#post1398230

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Damn I've done it again! I was just about to predict Moon and Wrath of Khan when Nope posted. For tomorrow I'm going Moon and The Fifth Element.

Anyway I've still never seen Metropolis. Anytime it comes into my mind to watch it I always get put off by what it entails. "Should I watch Metropolis today? Well it's 3 hours long. And it's black&white. And it's silent.....nah let's just watch Independence Day again! But some day

As for Wrath of Khan I've never really fallen for it in any great way. For the most part I prefer Trek TV as opposed to the films but even when it comes to the films featuring the original crew I've always preferred the lighthearted, joyous Voyage Home. I've seen Khan a few times and I've found it a decent enough watch but not much more as of yet; maybe on my next viewing.

Seen - 55 / 66

My List
2. The Truman Show (#94)
10. Back to the Future Part II (#42)
12. Men in Black (#61)
14. Demolition Man (#68)
15. Independence Day (#40)
16. They Live (#45)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
20. Galaxy Quest (#88)
22. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#58)
25. Gattaca (#51)

and then scan ahead a bit more we talked about it for a while, mainly me and MovieMeditation.

Fair enough. I don't agree with you obviously but i can understand why you'd feel that way. Which part did you turn it off at?

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Okay, something's wrong here because according to my list, I had The Wrath of Khan at #15. And I don't see a 15 listed among the layout.
Hmm, my bad. I think I may have accidentally placed your film in 14th instead of 15th, but I have safety things to prevent me from doing that. I'll check later tonight if anyone else placed the film in 14th, but I most likely just misplaced your film. If that's so, it shouldn't effect the placement of any of the films.

Metropolis did not quite make my list but I thought it was fantastic.

I've never seen the Star Trek TV show, but I have seen a couple of the movies, including that one. I don't dislike them, but they do nothing for me.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't vote for Metropolis because it's such a significant film and I would have given it so few points. Khan is certainly deserving if only for Ricardo Montalban's Rich, Corinthian Chest, but I also left it off the list.

I finally got around to watching this again, this time with Sarah. I'm glad I did. If you have the time and just let it wash over you (preferably the restored version with clean, clear subritles), it moves along very quickly. On the other hand, it does seem to cram in a whole lotta plot into one film, but somehow it mostly resolves itself at the end.

First off, the main reasons for watching Metropolis are the super sets, special effects and all the elements of the production design. Sometimes the camerawork appears hand-held, especially in closeups of some of the "action scenes". Then again, much as his fellow countryman F.W. Murnau did in his American film Sunrise (also 1927), Lang uses all kinds of photo and editing trickery to incorporate paranoia and disorientation; one of my fave of these is the shot of all the eyes superimposed together when the rich young men of the upper world are seduced by the "robotic" Maria and begin to fight and kill each other over her and her charms. That eye shot certainly reminded me of some of Dali's later work in films. There are so many spectacular shots, sets and effects that one could write a book detailing the creation and subliminal effect of each one, but this is not the place for that, although it would be interesting to hear some of other viewer's favorite visual flourishes.
As far as plot points go, maybe I can list a few and see what people think of each one and how they may help/hinder the overall film and what it's trying to accomplish.

1. Metropolis is a huge city where the rich and powerful have a wonderful life consisting mostly of modern technology and entertainment while the workers live underground as almost slaves and never even see the light of day. What I would like to know is whether Metropolis is supposed to be representative of an entire futuristic world, an anomoly or something parents tell their children as a bedtime story beginning with "Once upon a time... ".

2. There is a saintly woman named Maria (Brigitte Helm) who tries to pick up the spirits of the workers by telling them that a Mediator will come one day to reconcile the Hands (the workers) with the Head [the founder of Metropolis, Joh Frederson (Alfred Abel)]. Maria speaks to people in front of a group of crosses and attracts Joh's son Freder (Gustav Fröhlich) who decides that he could be the Mediator. I'm not especially up on my German, but Joh sure seems like John, so we could have the characters of John and Mary somehow coming together to "create" a Mediator named Freder, which sounds a lot like "Freedom".

3. Joh has a rival in the character of a "mad scientist" named Rotwang (Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Dr. Mabuse himself). The scientist seems similar to both Dr. Frankenstein and Dr. Strangelove. The reason Rotwang and Joh are rivals dates back to the fact that they both loved the same woman, Hel, who married Joh but died giving birth to Freder. Rotwang invents a robot which can appear human and kidnaps Maria to turn this robot into a Maria who will incite the masses.

4. The world of the workers and the way in which Joh interracts with it seems to have also inspired Charles Chaplin's use of technology and class struggle in Modern Times. I even see a strong resemblance between the appearance of the leader of Chaplin's factory and Joh Frederson. This also brings me to the concept of how the technology works in the utopian upper part of the city. Near the end, after the workers have destroyed the heart machine and power is shut off above ground, we see all the ground transportation piled up in what appears to be a freeway. We also see none of the planes and other flying vehicles in the air. This implies that all modes of transportation above ground run due to the Heart Machine and not due to something resembling gasoline.

5. The final third of the film turns into something resembling a disaster flick when the bottom levels flood and all the workers' children have to be saved by Freder, Maria and Josaphat (Theodor Loos), a man in the employ of Joh who is also Freder's good friend. Ultimately, it turns the entire film into a story about Family and how all the characters seem to believe that it's the most important thing in their lives, even if they'd occasionally rather wreak destruction, burn "witches", and have wild dancing revels while doing so.

6. I've left out many other points which almost seem superfluous but are included in the film. These include the relationship of 11811 [Georgy] (Erwin Biswanger), a worker, with Freder, and the way the Thin Man (Fritz Rasp) spies on Freder and intercepts Georgy. Both the characters of Georgy and the Thin Man were previously only discussed in intertitles because they were part of the lost footage, but now with the restoration, what they have to do with the film is much clearer. They may be incidental characters but they help to flesh out themes of friendship and mistrust.

Metropolis and Blade Runner
I realize that this is a superficial summary of some of the content of Metropolis, but I'm going to leave it at this for now since I'm still waiting for others to discuss it in more detailed or specific terms. My rating is
, but my classic rating is obviously
3. The Incredibles (#98)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)
18. Gravity (#41)
23. Mad Max: Fury Road (#37)

Seen: 66/66
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 27/66

I have seen both and they are excellent films. But I voted for Wrath of Khan. One of the most celebrated sci-fi films and easily the best Star Trek movie. One that has stuck with me a non Trek fan since I was a kid. It was my #16.

3. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
4. The Avengers (2012)
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
16. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
18. Gravity (2013)
20. Escape from New York (1981)
21. Independence Day (1996)

My List: 8
Seen: 48/66

Wrath of Khan is one of the better Star Trek movies. I'd say to get the full enjoyment out of it, it helps to be a Trekkie, or better yet a Trekker...which I am! Wrath of Khan is like a love letter to Star Trek fans so if someone was to watch only one of the older ST movies and wasn't a ST fan, I'd say watch the first movie ST The Motion Picture. I didn't include any Star Trek movies on my list, but of course hold them dear.

Metropolis, happy to see that one here. I didn't vote for it as I didn't have room and knew it would make it anyway. It's neat they finally found the missing portions of the movie. The first time I watched it, it was an incomplete film.

Mad Maxx Fury Road...Fair enough. I don't agree with you obviously but i can understand why you'd feel that way. Which part did you turn it off at?
I think it was the fight in the desert. I wasn't too excited to watch the movie anyway and as soon as it started, I thought I have 100s of movies to watch and so choose another one.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

So you didn't even get past the opening credits.

The chaotic editing tones down.