The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Well, you could stop being a MoFo.

Unless you put me on your Ignore List, TONGO style.
If I wanted to ignore every MoFo I didn't like, I'd just quit the site. It'd be quicker.

If I wanted to ignore every MoFo I didn't like, I'd just quit the site. It'd be quicker.
You sound so depressed. You should try floating around outer space without something keeping you safe. I hear that helps.

Welcome to the human race...
You sound so depressed. You should try floating around outer space without something keeping you safe. I hear that helps.
This just makes me think of the "Treehouse of Horror" where Bart and Homer end up on a space shuttle full of the most annoying celebrities (!) on Earth and they choose to eject themselves into space instead.

SC I thought you knew by now... Iro's safe zone is making out he doesn't have a safe zone

Oh wait... wait wait wait... I got it... his official position is, he has no official position.

Ha!

I'm not a huge fan of ID4, not as a great great movie or a great bad movie. It's alright and I like the last third or so. It is watchable and can be fun.

Not seen the other one.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The only sequence I liked in the Independence Day sequel was when the Queen was running around earth in the desert. The rest is garbage.

His son....ZERO ACTING ABILITY. More wooden than....something made of wood.

Suspect's Reviews

Stop trying to please the snooty, stuck up, pretentious art crowd.
As a person who whole-heartedly admits to loving White House Down, I never thought I'd be accused of hiding my taste to fit in with others.

Do I think White House Down is great? Oh hell no, not even remotely. But it's still really fun and I'm not going to lie about finding it enjoyable. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge what the movie does wrong, or why other people might hate it. Finding it entertaining doesn't mean that I have to think it's a great film.

I feel the same way about Independence Day. It's really corny, and there are plenty of things to dislike or nitpick, but if you're having fun, most of those things are irrelevant, or at the very least can be overlooked.

As a person who whole-heartedly admits to loving White House Down, I never thought I'd be accused of hiding my taste to fit in with others.

Do I think White House Down is great? Oh hell no, not even remotely. But it's still really fun and I'm not going to lie about finding it enjoyable. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge what the movie does wrong, or why other people might hate it. Finding it entertaining doesn't mean that I have to think it's a great film.

I feel the same way about Independence Day. It's really corny, and there are plenty of things to dislike or nitpick, but if you're having fun, most of those things are irrelevant, or at the very least can be overlooked.
Amen.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Forbidden Planet

Wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 4th, 5th (x2), 9th, 11th (x2), 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th

Mad Max: Fury Road

Also wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 11th, 15th, 19th, 20th, 21st (x2), 22nd (x2), 23rd (x2), 24th, 25th

VERY happy to see Mad Max: Fury Road at only #37.

I don't care what you say - there IS a God!

Haven't seen Forbidden Planet. I liked Fury Road alot and had it at #21, this is what i posted about it:

Mad Max: Fury Road -
+

Feels like i'm the last person in the world to watch this. I've not seen any of the other Mad Max's in years and i was never a massive fan of them as a kid (maybe i'd like them more now) so i didn't have any of the problems the fans of those seem to have; Tom Hardy didn't play Max right and whatever else. I just took it on its own merits and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Thought both Max and Furiosa were great, i suppose i can see peoples problems with Max if he wasn't similar enough to Mel Gibsons version but i really don't get why some didn't like Furiosa, i liked her alot. I enjoyed them starting to trust and understand each other more, i think their relationship was one of my favourite things in the film actually. Nicholas Hoult surprised me i thought he was good, i actually didn't realize it was him until the Immortan looked at me part, loved how persistent and seriously brainwashed he was; he was good insight into all of the war boys mentalities. Joe was a pretty good villain, i liked how despite him being in power through brainwashing/using these younger people to do his bidding he was willing to go out and retrieve his wives himself and he was pretty intimidating. There was something weird that i liked about the fact he completely cared about his wives and unborn children despite being easily able to replace them; i thought that was a good touch how he tried to save Argharad (sp?) and how he swerved out of the way of her when she fell in front of his vehicle. Loved how nasty and crazy most of the characters were; actually how nasty,crazy and horrible the world was in general. This made the pursuit geniunely exciting because the idea of them getting caught be these horrible, brutal people was terrifying. Think the score helped a good deal towards that as well. Excellent action too, action isn't something that important to me anymore but i thought it was great how this knew exactly what it wanted to be and it never shyed away from it; with constant excitement all the way through. Some parts were a bit tedious to me like the fight between Furiosa and Max when they first met; it went on way too long (the whole scene the fighting parts weren't that long) but thankfully there wasn't too much of that that would've ruined the film for me. Spectacular visuals as well. Also just want to say that crazy guy playing the guitar was the best character, every time it cut to him i cracked up
My List:

13.Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
14.Videodrome
16.Wreck-It Ralph
18.The Day The Earth Stood Still
21.Mad Max: Fury Road
24.La Jetee

I have watched Fury Road around 4 times and I still can't quite figure out if I merely like the movie or kinda love it. My opinion seems to go back and forth each time and sometimes the action awes me and other times it bothers me for feeling too bloated or simply too much and slightly repetitive.

Guess a 5th rewatch is due some time.

Not seen the other one.

Forbidden Planet is one of my favourite sci-fi's and naturally made my list. I've not yet seen Fury Road, most likely will at some point but never really bought into the Mad Max hype first time around so it's certainly not a priority.

Faildictions:
36. Arrival (2016)
35. The Fly (1986)

I had Mad Max: Fury Road on my list. It's a little strange because I remember it being an awful lot of fun in the theatre, but I have little interest in re-watching it. It was on television the other day so I watched about 10 minutes of it, but wasn't interested enough to continue. I guess the initial experience and excitement couldn't be matched.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I like both of theses movies and I certainly think it's possible for anyone to enjoy them both, but I only voted for Mad Max: Fury Road at #23. Yes, Forbidden Planet has a certain nostalgia factor, but I actually like it more now than when I was a kid.

3. The Incredibles (#98)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)
18. Gravity (#41)
23. Mad Max: Fury Road (#37)

Seen: 64/64
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 25/64

I LOVE Mad Max: Fury Road. So much adrenaline. So much excitement. Plus sexy AF Tom Hardy. I think I've seen it 8 or 9 times - four of which were at the theater. I put it at #11 on my latest Top 100 and voted for it at #4.

My Ballot:
3. Wreck-it Ralph
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Demolition Man
12. Signs
14. The Incredibles
21. Dark City
25. Caveman

Forbidden Planet was among a number of "maybe" films I had on my original short list, but it quickly jumped up the ladder when I rewatched it, and ultimately ended up at #18. I hadn't seen the film in a very long time, and had actually forgotten most of it. I really enjoyed the visuals and the effects, and the original Star Trek vibe it gave me. Fury Road was not on my list, but I do rather like it.

Seen: 53/64
My List: 9

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66
04. The Martian (2015) - #60
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
11. Dark City (1998)
16. Videodrome (1983) - #53
18. Forbidden Planet (1956) - #38
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81
25. Primer (2004) - #44

Fury Road is easily my least favorite of the series as I didn't like it at all. It looks like Mad Max, easily my favorite of the series, will not make it.

I liked Foridden Planet a good amount but it wasn't in contention for my list.