The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Ok that is the best set so far. I love both films though I did only vote for one. As I said a while back the only comic book film I allowed myself was Guardians of the Galaxy because I'd say it's more sci-fi than superhero. Though that being said Men in Black itself is also based on a comic book.

The Avengers I absolutely love. As a huge comic book fan the chance to see all these characters united on screen together was a dream come true. Seeing it in the cinema was one of the best and most enjoyable cinema experiences I've ever had. Just such a fun film with so many crowd-pleasing moments. As I said however I didn't include it on my list. Had I decided to it would have been up in at least top 5.

Men in Black is a great film and one that I feel has been somewhat forgotten about in recent years which is a real shame. Perhaps it's because of the boom in superhero films overshadowing it seeing as they exist in the same sort of territory; large, over-the-top, fantastical action films. I rewatched it not too long ago and it still holds up terrifically well. It still looks and feels quite fresh. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are a wonderful double act, though arguably the most impressive performance is the wonderful physical performance from Vincent D'Onofrio as the genuinely creepy Edgar the Bug. Actually, scratch that. The star of the film is probably Rick Baker and the amazing assortment of animatronics, puppets, prosthetics etc he employed to create all the various aliens. Throw in a sharp script and it's one of the most enjoyable films of the 90s.

Oh and for anyone that's avoided it, perhaps as a result of the underwhelming sequel, I'd recommend giving the 3rd film a watch. It was a bit of an unexpected treat, so much better than I was expecting.

Seen - 31 / 40

My List
2. The Truman Show (#94)
12. Men in Black (#61)
14. Demolition Man (#68)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
20. Galaxy Quest (#88)

I don't consider Superhero movies to be Sci-Fi. Therefore, Avengers wasn't on my list. Really love the film though.
Gotta agree with Iro here...
Avengers has aliens, genetically-engineered super-soldiers, and robot suits - it's sci-fi enough for this list.
How can it not be sci-fi, is the question.

Anyways, the new set... both "meh" movies.

I have seen both but neither were on my list. Men In Black was good, but the following sequels sucked so my opinion of the series as a whole has waned over the years and I completely forgot about it when coming up with my list or I may have had it on there. Avengers wasn't ever gonna make my list. it was alright but like I've said, not a huge superhero fan. Thor was the only superhero film that would of made my list and it didn't so this one definitely wasn't gonna be on there.

Seen: 20/40

My List: 8/40
3. Looper (100)
6. The Prestige (72)
8. Signs (76)
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
20. District 9 (65)
21. Edge of Tomorrow (66)
24. Source Code (92)

Men In Black Is 9 From My List
Avengers is 13 From My List.

9 Men In Black
13 Avengers
14 Guardians OF The Galaxy
21 Galaxy Quest
22 Demolition Man
23 Avatar

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've enjoyed both of these films: Avengers and MiB quite often but neither made the cut.

My List: 6/25
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#11 Silent Running (#76)
#12 Ghost in the Machine (#64)
#18 Time Machine (#69)
#20 Minority Report (#63)
#23 Logan's Run (#71)

Watched: 31/40

Now we're at the 40 mark...

My List: 5/25
Seen: 34/40

100. Looper

99. Dune

98. The Incredibles

97. Another Earth - Not Seen
96. Dredd - My #06

95. Altered States - Not Seen
94. The Truman Show

93. Event Horizon - My #13

92. Source Code

91. The Man from Earth

90. War of the Worlds

89. Wreck it Ralph

88. Galaxy Quest - My #22

87. Back to the Future III

86. Silent Running - My #16

85. 28 Days Later

84. Seconds - Not Seen
83. Donnie Darko

82. The Hidden - Not Seen
81. Strange Days - Not Seen

80. Avatar

79. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

78. Escape from New York

77. Guardians of the Galaxy

76. Signs

75. La Jetee

74. Fantastic Planet

73. World on the Wire - Not Seen
72. The Prestige

71. Logan’s Run - My #23

70. Snowpiercer

69. The Time Machine (1960)

68. Demolition Man

67. Battle Royale

66. Edge Of Tomorrow

65. District 9

64. Ghost In The Shell

63. Minority Report

62. The Avengers

61. Men In Black

I liked Minority Report and Men in Black, but not The Avengers. None of those films were on my list, though. In fact, at this point, I'm getting worried about some of the films on my list...

His problem is he makes his movies too cheap with actors less then good. Jackman cant be your only good actor in a project.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Another two great entries I didn't vote for, but still enjoy very much. It took me the longest time (I mean years) to realize it was D'nofrio doing Edgar. I just didn't recognize him. A sign of a great actor or me just being extremly blind? I'd like to go with the former.

Loved The Avengers, but as previously stated I only allowed one marvel movie on my list. Loved the line/delivery of it from the farmer when he finds Banner in the rubble.

Farmer: Are you an alien?

Banner: What?

Farmer: An alien. You know, from outer space?

Banner: No.

Farmer: Then, son...you got a condition.

Frikin' hilarious.

Seen 29/40

Agree with JayDee about Vincent D'Onofrio pretty much stealing the movie in Men in Black. I think it's my favorite performance from him an he's done some good ones. I loved Siobhan Fallon as his hick wife, who pronounced his name as "Egger."

Loved The Avengers also but I didn't vote for either for this list. I might have considered them but I had others to vote for, and even afterwards, pretty much every day I remember ones I forgot to even think about. I'll be sure to mention them because I'm positive quite a few will make it while some of mine won't. Hey, I'm just jazzed that there's a Sci-Fi List.

So far:
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71

Don't like Avengers at all, and while I haven't seen Men in Black in a long time I always liked it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I limited my list to only a few superhero movies, and The Avengers was one of the movies that made my list. I love the action and the interaction between the characters. It was #13 on my list.

Men in Black was one of the last few cuts on my list, but if the list was a top 30 or 35, it probably would have made my list. It's a fun movie, and I'm glad to see it made the list without my help.

Seen: 32-1/2 out of 40
My list: 4 so far

13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

The Martian

Wasn't tied with anything. Nothing to note.

Layout: 4th, 6th, 7th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 23rd (x2)

Serenity

Wasn't tied with anything. Nothing to note.

Layout: 3rd, 7th, 8th, 13th (x2), 19th, 23rd

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Gotta agree with Iro here...

How can it not be sci-fi, is the question.

Anyways, the new set... both "meh" movies.
I lump Comic Book Films into that one and only genre. Because it has such a broad range of genres within it, I feel comic book movie encompasses it all. Therefore I do not look at it as comic book, sci/fi....just comic book. This applies mainly to SUPERHERO films, within the defined genre. Therefore I would consider Men in Black Sci/Fi and 30 Days of Night Horror. Superhero just seems to fit nicely and nothing else.

Suspect's Reviews