Television Tab

Tools    

Top of the Lake

Binge watched this over the past few days. It's a mystery show so it's pretty much impossible to talk about this without giving away MAJOR SPOILERS so don't read any more if you haven't seen it. I thought it was very good, a perfect short, intriguing show for binge-watching with excellent direction and solid performances. I did have a few problems though.

My biggest one was that i pretty much figured it out early on and i thought i may be just thinking what the writers want me to think and there'll be a big surprise. But nah, it was basically what i thought which felt a bit anticlimactic. It wasn't all about the mystery of course it was still a bit of a letdown anyway. From the start it was obvious something was up with Al; he just gave off a weird feel at first then as i went on more and more things seemed to confirm my theory. First of all was his amazing mansion which Robin mentioned in one of the last episodes, long before she mentioned it in one of the first episodes the one where Robin passes out, i thought to myself no way a small town policeman could afford this. Then there was his ties to Matt, even then both could be explained by Al being corrupt and taking money from Matt yet not having anything to do with Tui. Coupled with his youth work/cafe and the pathologist guy mentioning that this town was a millionaire's playground and that he believes there's a pedophile ring which had crossed my mind made it seem like it had to be that. The time that there was no turning back was at the end of the penultimate episode when he's meeting what looks like businessman in the cafe when Robin walks in. Even at that point i thought there could be a last minute twist after Robin shoots him, she saw Tui asleep on the couch and i thought maybe it'd turn out he hadn't done nothing and Robin was just being paranoid which i'm not sure if i would've preferred or not. Anyway not a terrible resolution just way too predictable. The scene when Robin discovers the pedo room was horrifying, really turned my stomach.

Another thing was it turning out Robin went through pretty much the same as Tui except when she was a bit older at 16. I'm in two minds about this, on the one hand it added extra layers to her character and made this alot more meaningful for her, it also led to some powerful moments like her crying and saying "good girl" when she first discovers Tui is alive. On the other hand while it makes sense that someone who had to go through that would want to help abused/troubled children as a profession, it felt too contrived that during her brief time back in this town this case with so many paralels to her own ordeal would pop up and that she'd be allowed to head up the case. I mean i think the stuff with Matt being her father was clearly introduced by him and Matt to get her off the case yet i'm sure he could've denied her the case in the first place or even taken her off later saying it was too personal for her. Then there's Al bringing her back onto the case after she attacked Sarge, just makes no sense that he'd allow a clearly dedicated detective like her on or back on the case when the rest of the department were shown as bumbling idiots who were clearly never going to figure him out.

Then there's Matt. I thought Peter Mullan was excellent but i really don't get alot about Matt to the point where i'm not sure if i somehow missed stuff. He must have been delusional/mentally ill and my guess abused by his mum as a kid which explains his weird relationship with her which partially led to him abusing Tui, both of which he's in denial about. I mean Matt definitely did abuse her, even if Al somehow falsified the results the brothers confirmed that they saw him abuse her. Yet he is clearly deeply offended by the suggestion and to me came across like he honestly didn't believe it and that he really did miss Tui. I don't think he was going to harm the baby at the end, i think that was the point of him asking the baby what it wants; i think he had just completely snapped and wasn't really thinking when he was pointing the gun at it. I mean obviously he shouldn't have been anywhere near the baby or Tui but i do think that's what is supposed to have happened. Then there's the fact that he sent hunters in after her and had helicopters looking for her; it's pretty clear that he isn't going to harm her at that point as he threatens the hunters. All of this seems to suggest that he is in denial and doesn't remember/believe he abused her but then why in the first episode in the scene where Tui points the gun at him did he say "At least you didn't talk"? That suggests that he was talking about her not talking about his abuse or that he knew about the pedo ring. But the second is contradicted by the fact that Tui clearly didn't have a clue what was being done to her at Al's because she clearly said to Jamie "i don't know how it (the baby) got in there", and she is fine even eager to go with Al plus the roofies, so how can she talk about something she doesn't even know? So it has to be the first, my only explanation for that is that he had a breakdown after she ran away.

Anyway this seems like i didn't like it with all this moaning, but i really did which is shown by me getting so interested in the story i think. Holly Hunter was great too. Her character did seem to spout some nonsense at first but it mostly made sense. Very good show.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I've heard that's really good. What's David Wenham like? Ilike him.

Also i think @Swan should check this out if he hasn't. It's created and directed by Jane Campion, dunno if you like any of her stuff other than The Piano but i know you really like that. It's set in New Zealand in a small mountainous village around a lake and is really beautifully directed.

I love Campion, and I love NZ. Stunning part of the world. OK going on my watchlist. Thanks for the recommendation, idris (so happy your avatar is back)

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Out of curiousity is anyone else watching Timeless? I know it's not exactly as deep or intellectual as many of the shows people are talking about on here but I'm having a blast with it. I'm a sucker for pretty much anything time travel related so there was always a decent chance of me being a fan. While some of the episodes have been complete cobblers of the highest order (and entertainingly so) they've also managed to deliver some episodes that I think are just really good TV. I found that I really liked all the main characters almost instantly, while the budget for the show must be pretty sizeable as their attempts at recreating all these different time periods is rather impressive for TV.

However with a big conspiracy at its heart I just hope it doesn't end up as one of those shows that gets cancelled before it is able to play it all out. I'm fed up of being burnt that way by shows like FlashForward and The Event.

Unless you just can't stand Sandy, I'd recommend giving them a go. I've been slightly surprised at just how little the feel has changed for me.
Glad it's not been too drastic an alteration for you but I've got to say I'm struggling to care about the show these days, certainly not anywhere near the level I used to enjoy it at. It just isn't the same with Stephen Fry for me and as I've said before I really don't care for Sandy.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Out of curiousity is anyone else watching Timeless? I know it's not exactly as deep or intellectual as many of the shows people are talking about on here but I'm having a blast with it. I'm a sucker for pretty much anything time travel related so there was always a decent chance of me being a fan. While some of the episodes have been complete cobblers of the highest order (and entertainingly so) they've also managed to deliver some episodes that I think are just really good TV. I found that I really liked all the main characters almost instantly, while the budget for the show must be pretty sizeable as their attempts at recreating all these different time periods is rather impressive for TV.

However with a big conspiracy at its heart I just hope it doesn't end up as one of those shows that gets cancelled before it is able to play it all out. I'm fed up of being burnt that way by shows like FlashForward and The Event.

I've been watching "Timeless". I had high hopes for it to be the breakout show of the year, but it's not as good as I hoped it would be. But it does get better as it goes on, so that's a plus. I didn't really like the three main characters at the beginning of the season, but they're becoming more and more likable with each episode.

I hope they come back for another season because they left a few cliffhangers, and I'd like to see them have a chance to get back the people they lost.

BTW, did you know that the names of the three main characters are references to characters in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure? Lucy Preston and Wyatt Logan have the same last names as Bill Preston and Ted Logan, and Rufus Carlin is a nod to Rufus, who was played by George Carlin.

Recently rewatched Fargo. This has to be one of the best things on the air and I'm super excited for Season 3.

Legend in my own mind
Recently rewatched Fargo. This has to be one of the best things on the air and I'm super excited for Season 3.
Agreed. Some of the best TV I have ever seen. 2 excellent seasons.

Still not sure which one I rated higher. Both really good stand alone seasons.

Your avatar is the best thing on the internet, Yams. I love the good man.

Agreed. Some of the best TV I have ever seen. 2 excellent seasons.

Still not sure which one I rated higher. Both really good stand alone seasons.
Season 2 beats out Season 1 solely due to Mike Milligan

The new Jonathan Creek special. Well that was definitely a vast improvement on the awful last series. I'm still unconvinced by his new lifestyle and wife but at least the story was more like the Gothic mystery of old Creek than... whatever the hell series 5 was trying to do.

I loved top of the Lake too Camo, although it's a while since I watched it I remember I loved Elisabeth Moss in it. There's another series this year too.

I loved top of the Lake too Camo, although it's a while since I watched it I remember I loved Elisabeth Moss in it. There's another series this year too.
Yep, i read about it. It will be called China Girl and Nicole Kidman is in it. Looking forward to it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
BTW, did you know that the names of the three main characters are references to characters in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure? Lucy Preston and Wyatt Logan have the same last names as Bill Preston and Ted Logan, and Rufus Carlin is a nod to Rufus, who was played by George Carlin.
Yeah I just stumbled on that bit of trivia a couple of weeks ago. I'm so annoyed with myself for not realising it beforehand

A system of cells interlinked

I had forgotten how compelling this show can be. One of the first shows to go uber-serialized, watching it from week to week back when it aired was frustrating. I think I gave up somewhere around season 5, as it was clear the formula for the show had run its course. The bad-guy-behind the bad guy who was really controlled by a third bad guy, the mole in CTU, the silly plot contrivances to keep characters busy when the writers needed to put them on hold for a few hours, and overall, the fact that all the events of a season just couldn't sit into one 24-hour period. Alas, this thing is so addicting to watch. My wife hasn't seen the show, so we fired up a season (3) on Prime and man, she just cannot stop watching episodes. The cliffhanger nature of each episode makes it almost impossible to turn off, and I have seen it already! The editing is genius. Plenty of unintentional comedy (Chloe O'Brien!) makes it super fun all around.

A show clearly of its time; the post 9/11 paranoia is palpable. The show was high tech when it aired, but the tech in the show seems pretty dated at this point. Smart phones drastically changed how we approach situations these days, so seeing federal agents on flip phones and land lines comes across as clunky and dated.

Still, this is one of the most binge-worthy shows ever made. It is almost specifically made for binge-watching. The show runs in real-time, for crying out loud. You spend 6 hours watching, and 6 hours of time have passed in the show. Fun!

Oh, did I mention Chloe? The best worst character of all time, EVER.

Definitely agree with you that 24 is perfect for binge-watching. I loved the First Season, watched it in a really short time; completely glued to my screen, thought it was going to become one of my favourite shows. Got burnt out 7 or 8 episodes into Season 2 though, don't even think it was that Season 2 was weaker than Season 1 i just got burnt out on the formula like you said.

A system of cells interlinked
The first 4 seasons are all really good (I don't recall if i finished or even started 5, so it may be good too). I do recall season 4 being where I really noticed the formula starting to trip over itself. All the re-used elements etc. However, season 4 has Shoreh Aghdashloo, who totally rocks.

The Incredible Hulk: Death in the Family. Presumed dead, Dr David Banner is on the run, trying to find a way to control the monster within him. Encountering a young girl on the road, he steps in to help when she collapses and takes her home, only to become very concerned when witnessing some decidedly dodgy "medicine" being given to her by a decidedly dodgy nurse. His concerns only deepen when he realises she's a wealthy heiress whose father died in suspicious circumstances... The second episode of the series is another feature-length one, and again really entertaining. There's a Hulk vs Brown Bear moment that has to be seen to be believed!