November 19th

—— 2014 ——
WHEN
Marnie
WAS THERE

—— animation ——

Promise we'll remain a secret,
forever...

The supposed final feature by the fantastic Studio Ghibli, who has determinedly held on to hand-drawn animation for all this time; despite several daunting downsides about this creative and consuming technique. Director, Hiromasa Yonebayashi, has directed other features for the studio and in close company of the crowning king of Studio Ghibli himself, Hayao Miyazaki, but here the director really seems to set himself free from forms and shapes previously created by the studio, while maturing into his own little movie masterwork, which is made in the spirit of Miyazaki, but feels like singular effort entirely…

‘When Marnie was There’ sets up a very genuine story about a distant girl, who lives by her foster parents, but is in constant confusion about where she really comes from and who she really is. This results in her moving to the seaside, where everything is nice and quiet and with a lot of open space and fresh air. What starts here is an extremely touching and heartfelt story, which builds its basics upon realism and extends its meaning and purpose with fantastic elements to accompany this. The film finds a very unique way to tell its story – something that is both relevant and truly riveting to disappear into. The story is mainly told on ground level, where children can easily relate, despite of how mature and miserable some of the thematic thumps, that hits you throughout, truly are.

The ending took me by surprise, even though the story had slowly been building towards it throughout; making it more and more clear that this is where everything was going. Yet I also think I was surprised at how well put together it all was, despite of the fact that I remember the movie faltered a little bit with this last bit. But again, the whole deal about the story daring to take on difficult subjects like sickness and death; living as an only child living without your biological parents, and all the questions that may come with this; the aspects about physical and psychological abuse and eventual need for psychiatric treatment; as well as the major matter about craving for closure and searching for your identity are all heavy sources for cinematic discussion. But ‘When Marnie was There’ pulled it off almost perfectly and I was spellbound, gutted and emotionally grounded throughout this wonderful swan song from Studio Ghibli.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... viewing day count
272 .......................... 323

November 20th

—— 1999 ——
TARZAN
—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.37

REWATCH
'Tarzan' is the lone proof that one should never listen blindly to critics
or any other mass critical judgment as a singular guidance for movies...

this review contains spoilers
Disney’s 37th animated classic, 'Tarzan', the last film in the renaissance, is the lone proof that one should never listen blindly to critics or any mass critical judgment as a singular guidance for movies. But with that said, despite common and widespread knowledge of a somewhat lesser reputation, ‘Tarzan’ scored really well with critics upon release. So, what I don’t understand, is the universal modern movement of mainly mixed to negative reactions to this movie. Because if you ask me, this was Disney's return to glory after an uneven but admittedly solid few years, following their magnum opus, ‘The Lion King’. The studio had brought me lots of genuine entertainment, but I longed after being emotionally involved and cinematically swept away again. It took a while, but together with ‘Tarzan’ Disney managed to dive deep inside my heart again, swing around my heartstrings as elegantly and as effectively as ever…

In my humble and honest opinion, Disney’s 'Tarzan' was their return to emotionally strong stories of universal understandings and counterparts colliding with each other in a beautiful tale as old as time. But as with wine – or as with vines – this is a case where the concept appears better and brighter than ever; binding together the story of man and beast in the most grounded and humane way yet. It is far from the first time Disney deals with difference between two characters, which creates inner and outer conflicts, but because of ape and man being so closely related, as well as Disney almost perfecting the tale at this point, 'Tarzan' can do more than simply roar at us; it can touch us deeply and tell us things we are already aware of, but nevertheless, everything seems so alive. It is like a breath of fresh air inside this organically growing story with roots in the most human feelings on earth. Themes about fitting in, feeling different, finding love, confronting fear, collapsing to betrayal and bowing down to love. There are times where you simply don’t want anything new; sometimes you just just want everything to feel like home.

The way I see it, every little detail put forward about the difference between Tarzan and the apes is carefully measured. Never has the description of being different or special been as spot on, aurally and visually, as it appears here – we see it, we hear it and we feel it because it is so close to heart. It is certainly clear that 'Tarzan' actually wants to be just what we have seen before, but in the end, 'Tarzan' is a different kind of animal entirely; an untamed beast who can't be controlled. Many people call the movie too dark, but I saw it in my childhood and I never regret or wonder why it was done the way it was. Disney actually used clever visual techniques to distract the most mature elements from the minor audience; often by moving their focus to the front and hiding the frightening imagery in plain sight. Feathers blowing across a bloodstained floor or a machete piercing the surface of the jungle is just enough to move the focus within those few seconds needed... I admire visual language like that, especially when it is used both as a cinematic powertool and parental comfort, as a bonus, at the same time. Fairly clever.

I don't want people to think I got jungle fever or something or that I write this review purely on nostalgia or from my admiration for Phil Collins. That said, I absolutely love the songs that Collins made for this movie and I must say I was surprised to find out that there is a lot of hate for this man… so what if he makes music that is not lyrically complex or endlessly deep; he makes music that everyone can relate, which goes hand in hand with Disney’s own approach to their movies, actually, and the songs fits the themes and setting of the film. All the musical montages are also great and everything from the scenes about Tarzan learning and growing up to the scenes where he learns about the live of man are all fantastically edited and put together. But there are definitely deeper undertones to the movie as well – the parallel to real world problems like animal capturing, illegal hunting, damage to our rainforests and man’s wish to invade and destroy nature is all there…

The final act is intense and we get an amazing climatic finale, with a fight between Tarzan and Clayton, perfectly portraying the strength and weaknesses of the two characters; both in terms of physical and psychological advantages and different social backgrounds. And seeing Clayton die by his own hand, because of his own desires and frustrations, getting hanged by nature itself at its most merciless is just expertly executed and thought out. Soon after comes the scene of Kerchak’s death – which could have been emotionally manipulated – but I feel like it is earned because the character of Kerchak is so great. Because of the subtly of his character, he feels complex, despite of how simple he seems on the outside – and it is obvious that he is from the old school; ever since seeing what Tarzan can do, it is evident he wants to push him to his best; make him prove he can be a leader and a voice for the pack as well as for himself. Kerchak feels like a grand character and seeing him die is heartbreaking to me – because it is clear how much Tarzan have worked to earn his respect and looked up to him as a strong father figure.

As you can hear, I love ‘Tarzan’ so very much. I think it is Disney at their finest and the story of ape and man has never been closer to home. I love the darker more genuine tone of the movie and I love the different relationships and Tarzan constantly trying to fit in and understand his place in the world. A true masterpiece in my eyes…

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
273 .......................... 325

November 22th

—— 1999 ——
F A N T A S I A

—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.38

Here comes a follow-up feature to the classic and creative Disney film called 'Fantasia',
now with a sequel arriving sixty years later...

Normally this wouldn’t work that well, since times have changed a whole lot since the first film, but when it comes to the crazy concept of these films, I would say it is pretty much timeless. I would honestly say that a follow-up is both fascinating and almost essential for the animation studio, especially considering the fun and free-handed style of it, which allows the animators to run wild with it and create a colossal contrast to the past, present and future of animation. As an audience we get to see the broad changes that has happened on the animation board since the beginning of cinematic brushstrokes, but the question is whether or not the creators can paint a picture as vivid and wonderful as sixty years before – or are they all living a little too much in their own little Fantasia world?

First off I want to say, that I definitely respect and admire the 1940 classic 'Fantasia', but in all honesty, even considering the creativity and uniqueness of it, I can't quite call it a true brushstroke of brilliance. I think it was more of an interesting concept than a successful execution, but I certainly see sights of excellence throughout. 'Fantasia 2000' feels a little less magical and majestic than predecessor, but I see some changes that actually benefits the concept and overall animation, while the movie as a whole suffers from the same issues as the original – sometimes even in a worse degree. When combining animated shorts with classical symphonies, you are probably going to see both hits and misses, especially because the animators had so much freedom to do whatever they wanted. What I liked a lot about the original 'Fantasia' was the sheer simplicity of it and the triumph of touching and traditional animation, which went hand in hand with equally traditional compositions. Unfortunately, though, Disney seems to have had a greater interest in showcasing new technology than traditional formality.

As a short compilation, the quality is naturally not going to be consistent all the way through, but thanks to some dazzling opening and closing shorts, this feature succeeds in creating a fairly sturdy impression on me; despite the ups and downs throughout. When compared to the original ‘Fantasia’, this updated version isn’t nearly as natural or fluent in its animated advancements. ‘Fantasia 2000’ is almost half the length of the original and it shows. I may have thought the original felt a tad too long, but in return, the switching between the animated short segments felt both smooth and looked beautiful as well. It moved naturally from abstract shapes and sizes into recognizable fables and figures into nature and beautiful beings and finally into people and progressing stories. ‘Fantasia 2000’ started out as it should, but then it just went into a messy and modern mash-up of all and new animation. There was no structure or balance to it, which might not be the biggest of faults, but the film does fumble a bit with its magical touch because of this.

Symphony No. 5 – The opening short segment is a beautiful visual feast for the eyes, which is moderately updated to modern animation, while staying true to the spirit of the studio and its original vision. It feels like classic Disney to see minimal shapes and sizes come to life with the help of some brilliant brains behind this. It also reminds me the most of the original ‘Fantasia’ out of all the new shorts in the movie, mainly because of its simple yet effective style and approach. It has a free form to it that I really like, while loosely following a simple story that we can all connect to and understand. The animation is stunning and the use of colors is mesmerizing, especially when combined with the clever and extremely accurate use of the classic Beethoven composition. This segment is a beautiful blend of the art of music and animation, full of playfulness and pitch perfect imagery. This is possibly my second favorite segment in the animated anthology, that is ‘Fantasia 2000’.

Pines of Rome – The second segment introduces a whale family who are able to fly because of a supernova. While the concept sounds imaginative and extremely interesting the execution is only mildly satisfying. It often looks quite beautiful, but unfortunately the computer effects aren't elegant enough and ultimately the short ends up feeling as clumsy as a whale - despite of a story showing the opposite. It also drags on for too long and misses a proper structure. Looks the same goes on for too long

Rhapsody in Blue – Then we get a broad and busy view into New York City, which is a sudden change of pace compared to the more elegant and naturally evolving pacing of the original. The style reminds me of Wolfgang Reiterman with a more colorful and elegant touch, though still maintaining the roughness of it and the busy look which goes well with the basic story. I didn't particulary like this short, but there were a few highlights here and there.

Piano Concerto No. 2, Allegro, Opus 102 – Then we arrive at what is possibly the worst short and an insult to the original story by Hans Christian Andersen of which this tin soldier torture piece is based upon. The computer effects feels weird, the story is totally unimaginative and boring and there is no structure to it.

The Carnival of the Animals (Le Carnival des Animaux), Finale – What follows is a beautifully looking tale of flamingos, which in return has a simple story that can stay in the background all the while the actual animated backgrounds get to shine. A beautiful and amusing little short without too much fuss, which is certainly better than those that tries too hard.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice – Then Disney has reinserted the classic short from the original, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which sees Mickey Mouse as the little helper of a powerful wizard. I don't know how I feel about this; I know the short is famous and instantly recognizable in connection to the original 'Fantasia', but even if they do it out of respect I feel like it is a waste of space for what could have been another new short and it kind of shows the low level of confidence in what they are doing here. Either they should have left the new version more or less seperated from the original, or if they had the balls they could have tried to make a sequel or successor to the original Mickey Mouse segment.

Pomp and Circumstance – Marches 1, 2, 3 and 4 – Next we arrive at a beautiful but ultimately bland short about Noah's ark and how it came to be with the help of Donald Duck. This short did nothing to me, really.

Firebird Suite—1919 Version – And at last, we arrive to an amazing conclusive masterpiece from Disney, which calls back memories from the original, while also feeling new and refreshing in style and story. It is almost like a blend of the beautiful first act of the 1940 classic, where we see the nature coming to life in creative ways, then combined with the last act on The Evil Mountain, which sees darkness controlling everything. 'Firebird Suite', as it is titled, sees an elk walk through the colorless and empty forest, to awake what could be seen as Mother Nature in person. She is responsible for bringing the forest back to life after the cold and dead winter. She flies around trees and bushes and makes everything grow and light up on her way. But when she reaches a dark and daunting mountain, she has trouble giving life to it. She realizes it is evil in person who then awakens to kill Mother Nature and everything good she did; turning everything back to black and boring blandness. This short is clever as well as beautifully realized through visuals that will impress anyone. The amount of detail is stunning and the creative construction of a simple plot is both magical and extremely powerful - a brilliant way to end an uneven trip down a Disney-fied memory lane, which brings back memories that are both foul and fantastic.

You could say, that this feature film full of shorts, opens and closes perfectly, while everything in between feels confused and a bit messy. There is actually a break between shorts where they present ideas which was never used; most of which seems way more original and interesting than some of those that actually ended up in the final film. I did enjoy some of the middle pieces or pausing segments, whatever you may want to call them, which used some clever animated backgrounds, projected behind the orchestra. That said, I didn't like the confusing celebrity introductions. Once again, this ‘Fantasia’ is more of a failure than a success, but nevertheless an admirable and impressive experiment that dared to do something a bit different and let the animators go wild…

-

Really great Lion King review . It was my favourite film between the ages of 4-7 or something, it's went down a bit but it's still a top five Disney. Will have to read the rest later as they are really long and i'm about to watch a film haha. Good to see you starting this up again.

Really great Lion King review . It was my favourite film between the ages of 4-7 or something, it's went down a bit but it's still a top five Disney. Will have to read the rest later as they are really long and i'm about to watch a film haha. Good to see you starting this up again.
Thanks for the comment, Camo! Big thanks for reading one of my reviews; glad you liked the Lion King one. I remember it to be one I was pretty satisfied with.

I hope to see you back here again. and you don't have to read every single one. I'm fine with you just giving me your thoughts on the movies I watched. That can also start discussions.

And that goes to everyone: don't be afraid to comment; whether you read my reviews or not.

I liked Tarzan, and I seem to remember watching it on your recommendation.
That's awesome, cricket. Glad you liked it.

I seem to love it everytime I watch it and do so enough not just to call it a "nostalgic movie". But even so, I see a lot of people not liking it and I wonder if there is something clouding my mind to be able to look at it, objectively. I think it's genuinely great, so when others downright dislike it, it makes me wonder...

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
even went back a few more that I had missed previously - agree about Hunchback. Had all the potential, but just sorta sputtered for me. I have been curious to try a rewatch and have never followed through on it.

Mulan is one I never saw and really need to.

Totally agree on Aladdin - LOVE that movie!!

VERY glad to see Marnie being reviewed - such a beautiful movie in both the story and in the animation.

Remember seeing Tarzan when it first came out and being rather impressed by it.

and of course ---

WELCOME BACK TO YOUR DIARY!!!! WOO HOO!!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen Disney's Tarzan, and I didn't read your review yet because you said that it has spoilers, but I scrolled down and saw your rating for it, and that's good enough for me to add it to my watchlist.

even went back a few more that I had missed previously - agree about Hunchback. Had all the potential, but just sorta sputtered for me. I have been curious to try a rewatch and have never followed through on it.

Mulan is one I never saw and really need to.

Totally agree on Aladdin - LOVE that movie!!

VERY glad to see Marnie being reviewed - such a beautiful movie in both the story and in the animation.

Remember seeing Tarzan when it first came out and being rather impressed by it.

and of course ---

WELCOME BACK TO YOUR DIARY!!!! WOO HOO!!
Thank you, ed. Probably my most trusted follower of my writings!

I'm glad we agree on quite a few things here and I'm glad you checked in here and left me a comment. Makes me very happy.

I haven't seen Disney's Tarzan, and I didn't read your review yet because you said that it has spoilers, but I scrolled down and saw your rating for it, and that's good enough for me to add it to my watchlist.
I have a feeling you will like the movie actually, GB.

Maybe don't expect it to be as good as I think it is, but I really do think you may really like it quite a bit.

I appreciate you comment, GB! Hope to see you in here again!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
very happy to see you bring your diary back, MM!!

Been a very long time since seeing Tarzan, but - I think - you may enjoy it, gbg.
Happy spoiler:: There are NO spiders, whatsoever

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have a feeling you will like the movie actually, GB.

Maybe don't expect it to be as good as I think it is, but I really do think you may really like it quite a bit.

I appreciate you comment, GB! Hope to see you in here again!
Been a very long time since seeing Tarzan, but - I think - you may enjoy it, gbg.
Happy spoiler:: There are NO spiders, whatsoever

I remember watching some old Tarzan movies when I was a kid, but I haven't seen any Tarzan movies since then, so it should be fun revisiting the character. And I'm sure the Disney spin on the character will make it more my type of movie than the old ones.

Thanks for the info about the spiders. That's always good to know.

Never heard of When Marnie was There but I'll check it out. As usual, great reviews MM.
Thank you, SL! Always with a kind comment.

I look forward to your thoughts on When Marnie was There!

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
274 .......................... 325

November 22th

—— 2000 ——
DINOSAUR
—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.39

REWATCH
Disney's first computer-animated feature...
hopefully it's more creative than its title...

This may be one of my most fond memories from the cinema as a child; together with films like the previously reviewed ‘Tarzan’ as well as ‘Shrek’. In relation to the reception of these films, ‘Dinosaur’ seems to be the one that was received the worst. Unlike ‘Tarzan’, I don’t feel like I can fully support my positive perceptions about this film, objectively, though personally I was surprised to see I still enjoyed it after all these years…

The script may be a fossil that was resurrected less successfully than the computer-generated dinosaurs themselves, but nevertheless, ‘Dinosaur’ is an entertaining and visually impressive journey to join in on. This was Disney’s first non-Pixar computer-animated motion picture, utilizing a unique blend of genuine backgrounds and generated characters, which really awarded the film with an awe-inspiring atmosphere. Aladar is a kind and humble hero, who does a great job as the central character, while the counterpart, Kron, is intimidating and believable, especially because of his sister, Neera, who comes between the two. The film has a solid handful of outcasts, who all find their own personal strength on this long and tiring journey.

I wish the story had more twists and turns and the characters more cracks and damage, but overall I still find it to be an entertaining ride on the outside, despite feeling a little bland on the inside. The technical elements trumps everything else around it and the action is captivating, with well-lit pictures and and earth-pounding soundscape, which can easily make any glass of water wobble. I really like the choice of dinosaurs here, not picking the most prominent and well known ones, like the Tyrannosaur, but instead opting for the ominous Carnotaurus as the main killer dinosaur. In the end, this movie isn’t momentously awful, but it is millions and millions of years from feeling as inspiring, intelligent and expertly executed as the best from the studio and you really have to dig deep in the story to find any complex treasure you want to mention apart from that “it looks good” or that it is “fairly entertaining”.

Simply put, it is as empty and hollow as a dinosaur skeleton; despite of how they actually bring the real thing to life. There is no meat on the story, there is no bite to the film and it never left any real impression on me that wasn’t out of empty entertainment and pure nostalgia… but it is better than its reputation, I will give it that.

-

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
275 .......................... 326

November 23th

—— 1956 ——
THE
SEARCHERS

—— western ——

Searching for something to write
about this one...

I have seen two Ford films, but non of them have impressed me and both of them left pretty much the same impression on me as well. The other one was Who Shot Liberty Valance. I would love to do a review on this film, but frankly I can't. I have a sharp memory and almost every review I have done in this thread has been from pure memory and a few has been with a little notes on the side, but never as a driving force. Usually I remember most of it anyways. But I mean, these are films I watched in 2015, so it's been a while...

I'm not saying I don't remember anything from The Searchers, because I do remember quite a few scenes, but since I was not overly positive about this beloved Ford feature, I feel like I have to be able to pick and choose every little nitpick about it to write a proper, thorough review. So for now, I can say that I loved the opening and closing shots. Absolutely beautiful and well-done... the rest, unfortunately, was bland and forgettable to me and I was bored a lot of the time. So instead of searching for a review, I will do none at all. For now.

-

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
276 .......................... 327

November 24th

—— 2015 ——
ANT-MAN
—— action ——

A movie that could have been something bigger...
Sorry if the puns bug you, but it should be ant-icipated…

I must say… this movie was wasted potential and they wronged Edgar Wright by arguing against his exciting new vision. Wright was right to leave instead of making mainstream, monotonous, mindless Hollywood garbage... Honestly, I anticipated this film to be a fantastic addition to the Marvel filmography when I heard Edgar Wright was on board, but despite hints of humor and ideas straight out of this British man’s brilliant brain, it was mostly transformed into an insignificant little comic book blockbuster, with too many typical tropes to take this ant story to new and exciting heights…

One thing that did surprise me though, was how little intense action there was, up until the last 30 minutes or so. Marvel doesn’t really make great drama movies, so it is a mixed bag in terms of how the dialogue and calmer moments play out. I did like the story of a small time criminal, who earned his money as a burglar to support his family and Paul Rudd as the titular character does a good job in the role. There is some fun sequences, but they end up feeling bland and forgettable in the long run. When this movie truly begins to boost itself is towards the end, when the plot, the action and the creativity collide. Unfortunately, this finale only makes me realize how great this could have been in the hands of Edgar Wright. There is so much potential in the plot about a man who can transform from small to tall in the matter of seconds, yet they don’t utilize this nearly enough, in my opinion.

Why didn’t they have more fun with the scale of things? There were a few things here and there during the first half, but towards the end it seemed like they went for it a lot more, which made it immensely more fun and entertaining, delivering the goods with a glimpse in the eye. I loved the self-awareness of it all and I'm sure there had been a lot more had Wright stayed on. Ultimately, this film failed to reach my expectations, though it did have some fun highlights and hints of greatness – especially the small-scale action (never thought I should say that). Wasted potential, but still fun from time to time…

+

I didn't read your Searchers review only because i want to see it again soon, but yeah i wasn't a fan either. At the time i found it tough to get through while respecting the visuals.

Master of My Domain
I didn't read your Searchers review only because i want to see it again soon, but yeah i wasn't a fan either. At the time i found it tough to get through while respecting the visuals.
Me too, the world is filled with Westerns that are better than The Searchers.