Movie Remakes: yay or nay?

Tools    

MC for the Great Underground Circus
What sayest thou?

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, they've been around for ages and aren't going to stop anytime soon so the best you can do is hope that they actually turn out good.

As long as the original gets a good credit then there's no real problem. I enjoyed the Fly and 3:10 to Yuma for instance.

I much prefer original movies though, it's a far better judge of a Director's creative talents.

This might just do nobody any good.
Yay.

Too many great films are remakes of others for me to discredit the concept.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Whenever i hear of a remake on the cards of a film I have loved my kneejerk reaction is to cringe.

Just on remakes, anyone here who was a fan of the original Magnificent Seven think the reboot is worth a look? I was madly inlove with Yul when I was a little girl so dont know if I want to see it or not. i jut cant make my mind up.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Depends. Some are great, some are crap.
this

It really comes down to who is remaking it and why. Do they have something interesting to add to the equation or are they just looking for a quick buck from an established IP?

Nay.
Remaking a great movie is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle... a second time. Great movie is not only great because of its own qualities but because it resonates with its times. So when you remake a movie you will either make it very similar which will fall flat because times and mentality are different or you will make it really different and if that is the case why call it remake?

On the other hand remaking a bad movie is wrong because if you want to make a good movie you may as well keep general premise and do it under new title to make it stand on its own.

Mostly Nay...These days, remakes/reboots are about re-marketing an already successful movie to a new audience for the love of money. Most of the current crop of remakes/reboots aren't needed. Watch the originals.

I especially dont like the hollyweed need to remake foreign films. Seems like plagiarism to me. I mean martyrs? C'mon now. And that american movie that seemed to rip off Priscilla. When Babe was in production I actually got on set as a stills photographer for one of the fx artists. The security on that set was mind blowing, specifically so someone in Hollywood didnt get the chance to nick the idea and make it faster.

I'm all for intelligent remakes of the Classics. I actually prefer Brando in the 1962 "Mutiny on the Bounty" to Gable in the 1935 original, but I own and watch both.

The DeCaprio "Titanic" is not nearly as historically authentic as the British "A Night to Remember". The steamer "Californian" is not even mentioned in the newer version, even though it was a critical part of the story.

HAL

I'm all for intelligent remakes of the Classics. I actually prefer Brando in the 1962 "Mutiny on the Bounty" to Gable in the 1935 original, but I own and watch both.

HAL
Hey Hal! I haven't talked to you before, glad to see you here Cool, another fan of Brando's Mutiny on the Bounty... That would be my favorite version...but I also like the original Clark Gable version too. Even the Mel Gibson version has it's merits.

But both of those remakes seem to have been made with a love for the story and not love of $$$

Hey Bananas,

Your Avatar suggests a leading man film star of the 1930's. Is that you?

Zoot...
HAL

movies can be okay...
nay x100
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke