Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

You're telling me! I joined the 1940s HoF and I'm feeling like a freakin' greenhorn. But that's one of the reasons I joined, to get some more experience in a part of movie history I'm not familiar with. I'm seeing this as an education, you should too.
That's me pretty recently, and I'm still learning.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Wall-E

I remember when Wall-E was originally released to the theaters, many of the reviews mentioned that there was almost no talking for the first half hour of the movie, but the reviews were great. I thought there was no way that I was going to like a movie like that, but between it being a Pixar movie, and the great reviews it was getting, I saw this movie in the theater anyway. I was amazed at how much I loved the movie. It's one of the few movies that I ever saw in the theater, that I loved so much that I immediately went back in to see it again. And it was even better the second time.

As soon as I heard Michael Crawford singing, I knew the movie had great potential, but it wasn't the music that made me love the movie. It was one of the most lovable robots I've ever seen on screen. Wall-E has such a wonderful personality. He's robotic in the way he does his job, but he has the personality of a child. Everything has it's own special meaning to him, like the way he looks at a diamond ring in a ring box, and sees no value in the ring, but he keeps the box.

But the story really picks up when EVE shows up, and we watch as Wall-E and EVE get to know each other, and Wall-E quickly falls in love. We see the differences between Wall-E's human characteristics and EVE's robotic characteristics. I love how Wall-E doesn't give up on EVE, even when she completely shuts down.

The humans on the Axiom aren't as much fun as the robots, but I like them more and more every time I watch the movie. But the best part about the Axiom scenes is easily M-O, the little cleaning robot. One of my favorite scenes is the first scene when Wall-E meets M-O, and M-O tries to clean up as Wall-E steps forward and makes more of a mess.

By the time we get to the end of the movie, the final scene with Wall-E and EVE makes me tear up every time I watch the movie. This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Obviously I love this movie, and that's the main reason that I nominated it, and I'm glad to see that it's getting some love here in this HoF. But mostly, I hope that everyone remembers Wall-E on their list for the upcoming Sci-Fi Countdown.

Great review, gbg. Agree with just about everything. Like you i seem to enjoy the humans part more everytime i see it even though i'd still say it is the weakest part of the film.

BTW, what do you think of BURN-E? I haven't seen most of the Pixar shorts but i really love that one.

Great review, gbg. Agree with just about everything. Like you i seem to enjoy the humans part more everytime i see it even though i'd still say it is the weakest part of the film.

BTW, what do you think of BURN-E? I haven't seen most of the Pixar shorts but i really love that one.

I love BURN-E. He's basically the lovable loser robot, and I love seeing the events of the movie from his point of view. My favorite part is when he realizes that he has a blowtorch, and he makes a BURN-E shaped hole in the door so he can get inside.

I sent in my ranked list. I think I posted write-ups for all the movies, but if I missed any, please let me know.
They're all there

Just got rewatches of The Castle of Cagliostro and Waltz With Bashir left. I'm going to get to them after i've watched Laura since i'll be over half way through the 40s HOF.

Ok I'm far away in the race, I guess that now I can take it easy. I have my last exam this thursday, so I will watch the next movie then, Camo's nomination, I had to check back in the thread before writting that, I was thinking I wanted to watch Camo's, but then I was like "Camo is in this HoF?" kind of weird since he is really active , and the last post is literally his. I don't remember that phrase really well: "Don't judge a book by its banana" instead of banana it was something else, I don't remember, I'm really distracted today. But yeah, Camo's movie banana seems cooler than the rest (I just don't remember what was that word, the movie's _____. What was it?! it's the picture with the title)

"Don't judge a book by its banana" instead of banana it was something else,
Nah, that's it. It is banana.

As well as having the last post i've also commented the most in this thread by quite some way. I've actually been trying to cool it because i come across like a hyperactive child that has to comment on everything someone says haha.

Hope you like Waltz With Bashir

I was always told growing up not to judge books by their bananas, which is why I try not to.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Madagascar 2

Fairly entertaining, but nothing really extraordinary. The animation is pretty solid but it isn't overwhelmingly anything new or groundbreaking. I thought the jokes the movie had were worthy of inside chuckles, but nothing that really made me laugh out loud. This reminded me of a film that most toddlers would enjoy watching, so I think the Madagascar franchise is one that relates very well to kids. Like others have said, I thought the voice performances were well done, which is a good thing since I don't generally care for the actors and actresses whose voices were in it. This was certainly not bad but it will be hard to be very high on my list Because I consider it more mindless entertainment than anything.

Madagascar 2

This was certainly not bad but it will be hard to be very high on my list Because I consider it more mindless entertainment than anything.

There's nothing wrong with a little "mindless entertainment" every once in a while. It keeps you young.

There's nothing wrong with a little "mindless entertainment" every once in a while. It keeps you young.
Although this probably isn't it, there are certainly masterpieces in mindless entertainment out there... so I agree.

I haven't got around to this one myself yet though.

If mindless entertainment makes you happy then that's fine. I don't see why it has to be something more than that. My Cousin Vinny is one of my favourite movies and that's what i'd class it as. It isn't stupid but it isn't concerned with saying anything important or even being particularly clever, it's just a really fun movie that always cheers me up.

My point is a film can be fully entertaining while still having something to offer.
You were responding to MM though who said that some mindless entertainment films have been masterpieces, i don't think he'd disagree with that.

It's mindless because it has some dumb moments and dialogue and the humour is extremely simple. That's how i think of it anyway.

Of course it's fine to like mindless entertainment. My point is a film can be fully entertaining while still having something to offer. I haven't seen My Cousin Vinny but you seem to be equating mindlessness with fun, which I think is incorrect. You said yourself it isn't a stupid film.
a film can also be fully entertaining while having very little to offer.

I also think you take the term too literal. At least in my mind, I don't think of mindless entertainment as the dumbest piece of moviemaking in the world, but simply movies that excel in entertainment but perhaps not in moral, thematic or even plot-related connections. Personally I really like The Party with Peter Sellers, but apart from being extremely fun and entertaining there really isn't any plot, any point or any sense with it all... it's "mindless entertainment" in the way that I don't have to think, just feel the fun and be entertained with nothing but that to take home.