Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Aloft (2014)

Bland! I like Connelly and that did not help save the movie for me. First 4 minutes may be the best I've ever seen in an indie flick, but, the rest is downhill. This movie reminds me of a child with no attention span, running around and touching on everything in its plot, but, never actually fully exploring a single idea that it touched on. Prairie scenery is pretty dull. Acting is ok, but wasted on this film. Even with all the spontaneous sex scenes, I just couldn't get into it. It evoked no emotion or sympathy from me. Everything just seemed overly unclear and confusing. To me, the point of making this movie remains a mystery.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	aloft.png
Views:	661
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	27693  

Jurassic World : 9/10

Funny Games U.S. (2007) -

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
[quote=Redwell;1602328]Weiner-Dog (2016)

Solondz explores mortality in 4 vignettes progressing from childhood through old age. His humor is as biting as ever, but the plot feels a little too scatter brained. He touches on everything from millennial exhaustion to sterilization of the mentally handicapped. Unfortunately the stars never quite allign and the movie never becomes greater than the sum of its parts.

Loved Welcome To The Dollhouse--- guess he couldn't leave Wiener Dog alone!

Coffy (1973)

I'm not well versed enough in blaxploitation to judge in that context, but I found it rather entertaining when it made an effort to hold my attention. I'll be surprised if this isn't a more subdued entry into the genre. I definitely expected more camp and schlock. Regardless, Grier is effortlessly iconic in a role far ahead of its time.

Dirty Harry (1971)

Siegel displays considerable craft while successfully updating Eastwood's desperado image. The bank robbery scene alone explains the cultural relevance the character maintains do this day. Unfortunately the screenplay is a mess and the villain is a laughable take on the Zodiac. Escape from Alcatraz remains my favorite picture from either man, but I'm on board for continuing with the franchise. I wish Siegel could say the same.

Oh, and the Blu Ray transfer I enjoyed was beautiful aside from scenes shot in low lighting. The screen goes pitch black in a hallway at one point and multiple nighttime sequences are almost indecipherable.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Like Miss Vicky, I AM sorry to hear you didn't like Fifth Element, Cricket (A favorite of mine as well) but reps for checking it out all the same.

(REWATCH) The Hateful Eight
+++

"You only need to hang mean b@stards. But mean b@stards need to be hanged."

Army of One (2016) -

There's no way any of this was true, right? ...right?

This film was horrifying, in the sense that it truly frightens me that a person can be so delusional, and none of his friends or family members will force him to seek help. I didn't think any of this was real, until I curiously started to look up news articles on my phone. I had no idea this guy was as famous as he is, or that Nic Cage's Vampire's Kiss-like performance was so accurate. I think I'd be more amused if it all wasn't so ridiculous.

As for the film itself, it felt a lot longer than it actually was. I did laugh on occasion, but spent most of the film completely bewildered by this Faulkner guy and his actions. Maybe an American who is more familiar with the real events will find this film funnier, but it just didn't really work for me going in blind with no previous knowledge or expectations. On the plus side, all of the performances (even the smaller roles and inconsequential characters) were really good.

Films and films
Cinema Paradiso by Giuseppe Tornatore

8/10

All Hallows' Eve

This movie was scary, literally it freaked me out and was absolutely brilliant. A babysitter finds a tape with 3 scary films all connected by the figure of Art the clown, one of the most sinister horror creations put to film in recent memory, , this is an underrated gem and one I avoided for a long time because I thought it would be another low budget borefest, what I got instead was something strickingly original, creative, artistic and like a real life nightmare, looking forward now to "All Hallows' Eve 2" and "terrifier" the feature length film staring Art the clown

9/10

Finished here. It's been fun.

Song of Bernadette
+

I am an agnostic, but I often find myself moved by films regarding faith. In terms of aesthetic beauty, only a few films from the 1940s can rival this: Day of Wrath, How Green Was My Valley, My Darling Clementine and Citizen Kane. This is an underrated and underappreciated gem. Recommended for fans of Ford and Dreyer.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Mogambo

One of the lesser Ford films, but an entertaining watch regardless. A vibrant, colorful and gorgeously photographed precursor to Hawks' Hatari!.

Ran [1985]

What can I add to what's already been said about this visually stunning, epic masterpiece? Not much, right?

The film is brilliant on many levels: visuals, scale, acting, you name it. Some scenes are pure cinematic wonder (in particular, the castle attack and burning scene and the scene in Tsurumaru's hut are masterful). The new 4K restoration is fantastic and does great justice to the film, further enhancing its visual splendor.

The only minor quibble I had was the (imho) unnecessary moralizing in the death scene of Hidetora and Saburo (his son). I felt it detracted somewhat from the effect the scene could have had, had the didactic element been entirely dispensed with.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Sadist - 7/10

It's a 60's low-budget thriller. I don't wanna say too much because of it's genre. The lead character has the most intentionally ugly face, ugly laugh, horrible acting (I think on purpose).

A Walk in the Sun (1945)

No regrets. I wanted to continue watching through to the end. It was interesting to have a song occasionally follow the film. Good character development. Good acting. Good cast. Old movie, so, the conversations were rather interesting, unique and simplified, by today's standards. They added as much comic relief to the film, as was possible.

Torment (1944)

-

I picked this randomly off the Cannes' winners list. It's a Swedish movie written by Ingmar Bergman, yet it felt more like a British kitchen sink drama than something from him. A sadistic Latin teacher torments his students, and in particular one student named Widgren. The student meets a girl and falls in love, but that girl speaks of an older man in her life that she's deathly afraid of. Any guesses who that man is? I thought this was a very good movie that wasn't all that far from great.

The Big Lift (1950)
+

A very enjoyable experience. Very amusing discussion and depiction of Russians. A guy named Kowalski learns a few things about himself, but not before explaining democracy to a lady and teaching a German acquaintance an english tongue-twister. The film uses a lot of real post-war footage and many actual soldiers as actors, simply playing themselves. Throw in a few twists and a romance, and you have a pretty darn good movie by my standards.