The Veg*nism Thread

Tools    

You could have Googled it yourself -

of or relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these.

If you dont want to eat fish Omni thats fine. Dont take a stance of ethics against someone that does though.
I most certainly will, now let's see what you've ultimately said here:

Eating fish is ethical.

is now

Eating fish is relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these.

Try again.

Woo... ummm...

Well, I never had any problems going vegan overnight. Just cut off buying non-vegan stuff one day and just finished what was left in the fridge. My seamless experience with it is a big reason I really rankle at people who complain about it being "too hard" or say their cravings cause them to fall off the boat.

I'm a LONGTIME cheese-eater and cheese is considered to be near addictive in some circles. I used to love homemade cheese burritos and going vegan effectively ended my relationship with my favorite food: pineapple pizza calzones.

So when people say they miss it too much or they can't give it up or they "can't imagine" it, it really annoys me because it tells me that that person has extremely poor willpower. And people who let themselves be pushed around or become subservient to the status quo because "it's too hard to be different" thoroughly repel me as human beings.

This perspective invades the rest of my life and is exactly why I'm typing up this message on a Dvorak keyboard.

Granted, I had the advantage of already being vegetarian before I went vegan, but the real issue for people, which several have brought up already, is that they simply don't understand how simple it is to cut out the dairy and meat strata of the food pyramid.

If they're concerned about their health they can look it up, nowadays, with the internet they have no excuse not to do it right.

Moving on, I've been heckled for being veg*n my whole life, ever since kindergarten people have made fun of me for not eating meat or not going to church or not subscribing to some other thing in their lives they just assumed must be important.

I can see why a lot of people would crumble under the pressure, but for me it was always a simple matter: that first time you look at your cat and think about the fact that people think it's okay to eat him and many of the other animals like him, it just never sat with me. So it's always been a simple cost/benefit analysis: Do I want to appease these people making fun of me? Or do I want to hate myself?

There's no contest.

Nowadays my biggest issue is with other veg*ns, honestly. There's the problem as I've described with freeganism, there's the daunting number of veg*ns who forfeit their veg*nism at the desert island scenario, and altogether, I just don't give a **** about what they give a **** about.

They cook, I don't.
They garden, I don't.
They keep pets, I don't.
They perform activism and WRITE ME OFF for not sacrificing my life for the cause, that's not how it works, I don't buy into compulsive charity, I have no moral obligation to empty my pockets at the sight of a homeless person on the side of the street.

I have my own ways of provoking change. I like movies, I like video games, I like music, I have a ton of hobbies that are totally neglected in those sorts of communities and that's why I'm here.
that's a lot to take in! I was specifically interested in the part of your statement about considering yourself freegan and how that works in your life - I mean do you forage for food for example?

"As for myself, I've been vegetarian my whole life, have been vegan for many years (I forget how long), and would even consider myself freegan insofar as people are capable of handling that sort of discussion.
but going back to your reply, well done for being able to cut out non vegan foods in one fell swoop, that's good strength of will - specially cheese! I know I'd be struggling with cheese . Some people do struggle I know that and people do have willpower issues, it's part of being a human being, but it is harsh to say they repel you Omni

Please don't take this as a criticism, it's just an observation on the language you're using but there seems to be a lot of you against the world in your writings, I just wonder what kind of community you live in? Looking around me in my culture and community I don't feel that it's any business of mine to comment on what other people eat or think it's any damn business of theirs what I eat, and I actually think no one really gives a stuff. I'm thinking if we can just eat more food made from scratch and not processed into crap we'd all be better off.

Being a vegan or a vegetarian or going to church or not going to church doesn't seem to be something that's a reason to dislike or criticise other people for. When you wrote "Do I want to appease these people making fun of me? Or do I want to hate myself?" That's awful, I'm glad you can see beyond that because that's just not right.

I do think the desert island scenario is pretty funny really. I defy people who say they know how they would act. People can talk about such things till the cows come home, but until they are there and then in life threatening circumstances, I'm not having it that there's any certainties.

Let me know about the freegan thing in your life tho as it's pretty interesting - not the vegans forfeiting their lifestyle when faced with free goods, I'm not interested in them, that's up to them I don't care. I'm more interested in people who have negotiated deals with supermarkets to take excess food instead of wasting it. People who use food beyond sell by dates, stuff like that.

I most certainly will, now let's see what you've ultimately said here:

Eating fish is ethical.

is now

Eating fish is relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these.

Try again.
Actually you need to try again cause youre to busy trying to twist my words rather than communicate. There is nothing ethically wrong in eating fish. So try again.

Actually you need to try again cause youre to busy trying to twist my words rather than communicate. There is nothing ethically wrong in eating fish. So try again.
Don't lie, you know there's no twisting of words here, I'm asking you point-blank to explain what you mean. Define "ethically wrong".

If you can't define it then there's nothing preventing me from saying "kicking babies is ethical."

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Not even remotely. There is arrogance in the assumption, there is humility in the concession.
You are going to have to expound on that. There is humility in believing we naturally evolved to be superior but arrogance in believing that there is something greater than ourselves that we are subject to? To believe there is a design and purpose to our world is arrogant while believing in the randomness of an evolved mind from imperceptible molecules is a sign of humility?

I'm not following that logic at all.

Don't lie, you know there's no twisting of words here, I'm asking you point-blank to explain what you mean. Define "ethically wrong".

If you can't define it then there's nothing preventing me from saying "kicking babies is ethical."

No youre trying to turn this into a grammar/definition contest and avoiding the point of your thread.

Now at this point I say "So youre comparing eating fish to kicking babies?" and then you say "Thats not what Im saying, youre using strawman, and blah blah blah blah"

So instead - How is eating fish unethical?

It's killing a living animal?
Why do you think killing of an animal is wrong? Where do your ethics originate?

If its a matter of physical health then you know there isnt anything wrong health-wise to eating fish. Red and white meat I couldnt say that.

If your ethics originate from God, the Bible, then he came right out and practically said "eat the fish with the scales" and warned against eating meat.

If your ethics originate from all life should be revered then you cant even eat vegetables.

Ill say you dont want to kill intelligent life, Im assuming (not strawman) thats what you mean. Fish arent indicitave of any registerable intelligence. Their nervous systems dont register pain like we do. So if it moves dont kill it? Dont kill insects?

All Im saying there is nothing ethically wrong in eating fish. Nothing wrong in killing them if you are going to eat them. Just killing them is wrong, and that is unethical, not as unethical as shooting a dog per say though.

that's a lot to take in! I was specifically interested in the part of your statement about considering yourself freegan and how that works in your life - I mean do you forage for food for example?
OH! No, I do not, however my life does come into regular contact with food waste so the question is raised all the same.

Originally Posted by christine
but going back to your reply, well done for being able to cut out non vegan foods in one fell swoop, that's good strength of will - specially cheese! I know I'd be struggling with cheese . Some people do struggle I know that and people do have willpower issues, it's part of being a human being, but it is harsh to say they repel you Omni
Well, it's the sort of thing that excuses all other things, you know?

I mean, there are people who let their sexual drives get the better of them and that's when you get rape and molestation. I've met those sorts of people and heard them explain how much they "need" it. You get the same with carnists, "we need to eat meat", and yet here I stand as proof to the contrary.

Tests of willpower are certainly no peculiarity when it comes to life, I'm convinced the vast majority of people in this world follow the path of least resistance whether they realize it or not. I've heard a lot of people explain that "we need religion" because without it they'd feel hopeless.

I think we all need to challenge our own preconceptions and that takes self-discipline.

I certainly didn't become vegan with any help, my own family were detractors, but they exist within an echo chamber where their views are either unenforced or reinforced. They're no room for free thought and criticism. It's like that in much of the world.

Please don't take this as a criticism,
Please DO NOT construe my position as closed to criticism. Criticism is invaluable.

it's just an observation on the language you're using but there seems to be a lot of you against the world in your writings, I just wonder what kind of community you live in? Looking around me in my culture and community I don't feel that it's any business of mine to comment on what other people eat or think it's any damn business of theirs what I eat, and I actually think no one really gives a stuff. I'm thinking if we can just eat more food made from scratch and not processed into crap we'd all be better off.
My issue with is is because the "live and let live" idea applies only to the concerns of humans, it disregards the suffering caused to non-humans.

It's one thing to say "go ahead, do whatever you want, be yourself", but you know we all draw the line when that person starts impeding upon the rights of others. You don't tell serial killers to "do what you like".

This is a cognitive dissonance, rooted in the distinction between humans and non-humans. In all of our history, cruel and otherwise, we've come to learn that we're related to non-humans in more ways than we often give credit for, particularly in regard to our like ability to be self-aware. We know animals can suffer, we are ourselves are animals, and we've observed it across countless species.

The question is why then do we draw the line at species?

Being a vegan or a vegetarian or going to church or not going to church doesn't seem to be something that's a reason to dislike or criticise other people for.
It's not the title or the group that matters, I'd contend that the words "vegan" and "vegetarian" do not matter at all. It's the ideas that matter and when ideas can result in atomic bombs... they're worth criticizing.

I do think the desert island scenario is pretty funny really. I defy people who say they know how they would act. People can talk about such things till the cows come home, but until they are there and then in life threatening circumstances, I'm not having it that there's any certainties.
I mentioned self-discipline. I've been disappointed many a time by supposed "vegans" who folded at the desert island scenario.

I for one have gone many days on little food because I was short on money and there were little to no vegan alternatives. As I explained, freeganism can account for this in part.

Let me know about the freegan thing in your life tho as it's pretty interesting - not the vegans forfeiting their lifestyle when faced with free goods, I'm not interested in them, that's up to them I don't care. I'm more interested in people who have negotiated deals with supermarkets to take excess food instead of wasting it. People who use food beyond sell by dates, stuff like that.
Couldn't tell you about them, I support vegan products.

Why do you think killing of an animal is wrong? Where do your ethics originate?

If its a matter of physical health then you know there isnt anything wrong health-wise to eating fish. Red and white meat I couldnt say that.
Never said anything about this.

If your ethics originate from God, the Bible, then he came right out and practically said "eat the fish with the scales" and warned against eating meat.
My ethics definitely do not come from the bible.

If your ethics originate from all life should be revered then you cant even eat vegetables.
Yes, my ethics are similar to this. But a vegetable does not have a life like an animal. We are talking about beings that think, beings that feel, they have nervous systems and such.

Ill say you dont want to kill intelligent life, Im assuming (not strawman) thats what you mean. Fish arent indicitave of any registerable intelligence. Their nervous systems dont register pain like we do. So if it moves dont kill it? Dont kill insects?
They might not act the same as humans but I'm pretty sure they do feel pain, and they are aware of what's going on. Some fish are extremely intelligent. Omnizoa has already covered all these arguments and questions anyway.

All Im saying there is nothing ethically wrong in eating fish. Nothing wrong in killing them if you are going to eat them. Just killing them is wrong, and that is unethical, not as unethical as shooting a dog per say though.
So, you're simply arguing, it's okay to do something bad, as long as it benefits yourself?

So, you're simply arguing, it's okay to do something bad, as long as it benefits yourself?
Not at all, Im simply stating theres nothing ethically wrong in eating fish. Meaning to eat a fish isnt bad.

Isn't telling us dillusional theists that our illusions of being created by a greater power for a purpose is hog wash but then telling us we should use our superior position to help all living creatures a little hypocritical. Those two thoughts seem to be at odds with each other.
No, you see, it is not OUR superior position. It is a superior position that the human race has developed over time, and we, as in me and you, have been lucky enough to be born into the body of these animals, as opposed to another animal species. What I am saying is we should appreciate that life on Earth the same for all animals at the end of the day so we should make sure all lives are enjoyed as good as possible.

Not at all, Im simply stating theres nothing ethically wrong in eating fish. Meaning to eat a fish isnt bad.
And I just explained how it is ethically bad. It is eating something that has been deliberately killed, deprived off its life and freedom for your own non essential benefit.

Yes, my ethics are similar to this. But a vegetable does not have a life like an animal. We are talking about beings that think, beings that feel, they have nervous systems and such.

They might not act the same as humans but I'm pretty sure they do feel pain, and they are aware of what's going on. Some fish are extremely intelligent. Omnizoa has already covered all these arguments and questions anyway.
The fish that are extremely intelligent is not what I consider fish to be eaten.

A fish with scales, extremely intelligent, and feels pain - What fish is that?

And I just explained how it is ethically bad. It is eating something that has been deliberately killed, deprived off its life and freedom for your own non essential benefit.
No it is to your essential benefit to eat them for food. I said to just kill something is wrong, theres a difference.