Will the movie "Doctor Strange" be able to excite the audience?

Tools    

Your Expectation from movie Doctor Strange:
42.86%
3 votes
Super Good
14.29%
1 votes
Great
0%
0 votes
Good
42.86%
3 votes
okish
7 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Movie Forums Member
The Trailer of Doctor Strange was super good but will the movie be as good as the trailer?
But Considering it's Marvel we all have high hops on it. What do you guys think?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2016-05-22-09h02m11s488.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	25873  

You can Call me Ramit as it is my real name.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a huge fan of Doctor Strange. A lot of people think that as a character he's not really relatable, but I've always liked him. When Benedict Cumberbatch was announced to be playing him, I thought yes, that's a really good choice. Then the first pictures of him in costume came out, and I thought it looked amazing.

However, then the trailer was released.

I didn't like it. I might even hate it if I gave it some more thought. If I wasn't a fan of Doctor Strange I wouldn't want to go watch that. Literally the only thing I liked about it was the part with the window to the Sanctum Sanctorum. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but I'm really hoping that there'll be a second, much different trailer to earn back some good faith.

Also I figured I'd add that I think your poll needs a negative option.

Yeah I ignored the poll since there wasnt a negative option. Once they cast Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One I knew the project was Hollywooded i.e. what happened to the Fantastic Four.

Yeah I ignored the poll since there wasnt a negative option. Once they cast Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One I knew the project was Hollywooded i.e. what happened to the Fantastic Four.
There are some extremely dubious casting choices going on at the moment. Racially blind casting (I think that's the term) is commendable but it's not always creative.

I actually don't mind Tilda Swinton being cast, though I think she would be better as Wong (she even looks exactly like him in the trailer). As much as I wish it wasn't the case, I do understand the politics behind not wanting to alienate the Chinese market.

The Warcraft movie has proven that China can make a huge difference in the financial success of a film. With it's 160 million dollar budget, the measly 24 million from the US box office would've been a huge failure, but it earned somewhere around 150 million in China, which actually made it profitable.

I actually don't mind Tilda Swinton being cast, though I think she would be better as Wong (she even looks exactly like him in the trailer). As much as I wish it wasn't the case, I do understand the politics behind not wanting to alienate the Chinese market.

The Warcraft movie has proven that China can make a huge difference in the financial success of a film. With it's 160 million dollar budget, the measly 24 million from the US box office would've been a huge failure, but it earned somewhere around 150 million in China, which actually made it profitable.
They are so worried about offending the chinese market then why cast a white woman to play the part of an old chinese man? Its p.c.ness to the point of self-destructive, and I seriously doubt there would have been an outcry against an elderly chinese man playing that part.

Theyve even cast a hot italian Marissa Tomei to play Aunt May. TONGO in twilight zone.

The Ancient One is not Chinese, he is from Tibet. From what I know, there has been an ongoing dispute between the two since China invaded Tibet in the 50s. China claims that Tibet had been a part of China for many hundreds of years, whereas the Tibetans say that isn't remotely true and that China has only rules them since the takeover. There have been many demonstrations and protests since then, but when violence erupted in 2008, the conflict was reignited with global pressure on the Chinese government.

When I was attending University in Germany 5 or 6 years ago, I witnessed 2 Chinese students turn savage on another student from Taiwan, screaming and demanding that the Taiwanese student admit that Taiwan belongs to China. Only half of what they said was in German, so I did not understand the rest, but what I did hear was more than enough. Now I understand that the majority of China's population does not care about the conflicts with Taiwan or Tibet, but the important thing is that the people in China with any sort of power are going to support their government's mandate. The government could easily ban Doctor Strange for mentioning Tibet, and that's not a gamble Disney wanted to take.

Movie Forums Member
If you couldn't tell, I'm a huge fan of Doctor Strange. A lot of people think that as a character he's not really relatable, but I've always liked him. When Benedict Cumberbatch was announced to be playing him, I thought yes, that's a really good choice. Then the first pictures of him in costume came out, and I thought it looked amazing.

However, then the trailer was released.

I didn't like it. I might even hate it if I gave it some more thought. If I wasn't a fan of Doctor Strange I wouldn't want to go watch that. Literally the only thing I liked about it was the part with the window to the Sanctum Sanctorum. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but I'm really hoping that there'll be a second, much different trailer to earn back some good faith.

Also I figured I'd add that I think your poll needs a negative option.
We just have to be open minded and optimistic and wait for the movie to be released.

Movie Forums Member
haha. Okish is the bad choice tbh. You can choose that one. You hate Tilda that much? but yea Ancient One doesn't at all suit her.

Movie Forums Member
The Ancient One is not Chinese, he is from Tibet. From what I know, there has been an ongoing dispute between the two since China invaded Tibet in the 50s. China claims that Tibet had been a part of China for many hundreds of years, whereas the Tibetans say that isn't remotely true and that China has only rules them since the takeover. There have been many demonstrations and protests since then, but when violence erupted in 2008, the conflict was reignited with global pressure on the Chinese government.

When I was attending University in Germany 5 or 6 years ago, I witnessed 2 Chinese students turn savage on another student from Taiwan, screaming and demanding that the Taiwanese student admit that Taiwan belongs to China. Only half of what they said was in German, so I did not understand the rest, but what I did hear was more than enough. Now I understand that the majority of China's population does not care about the conflicts with Taiwan or Tibet, but the important thing is that the people in China with any sort of power are going to support their government's mandate. The government could easily ban Doctor Strange for mentioning Tibet, and that's not a gamble Disney wanted to take.
Chinese are that violent? does it matter which belongs to which in this Century?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think it will be different enough to be interesting....at least.

Suspect's Reviews

Okish is the bad choice tbh. You can choose that one.
Okay is not the same as a negative choice. Your only options are saying that this film will be fine, it will be good, great, or amazing. There is no option for people who feel like the film will not be able to excite audiences, because "okay" still has a mostly positive implication.

Chinese are that violent?
I'm not saying that all Chinese people are violent. I'm just saying that there are some who believe very strongly in their government's mandates. I lived with a Chinese immigrant for a few years, and he's the sweetest person I know, but he admits that whatever the government says the people have to follow regardless as to what they personally believe.

So if the Chinese government doesn't want a film to be screened because it has a Tibetan character, then that movie will not be shown in Chinese theatres. And like I already said, the Chinese market is just too big to alienate.

does it matter which belongs to which in this Century?
Is that really a serious question? Of course it matters! I'd say it certainly matters to the people of Tibet who are having their human rights violated by the Chinese government. The fact that it's still happening in this century is ridiculous.

Welcome to the human race...
The poll makes me think of this bit from The Critic:

'Why the hell do you have to be so critical?'
'I'm a critic!'
'No, your job is to rate movies on a scale from "good" to "excellent"!'
'What if I don't like them?'
'That's what "good" is for.'

But seriously, it seems like Marvel's more left-field gambles have a tendency to pay off (with the most obvious examples being Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man) and the fact that the film gives off an Inception vibe with its world-bending visuals means that it can draw a degree of interest from people who might not already be invested in the MCU. That being said, the aforementioned issues regarding race and politics make me a little skeptical of it being worth seeing.

And the fact that the film gives off an Inception vibe with its world-bending visuals means that it can draw a degree of interest from people who might not already be invested in the MCU.
That's actually the part of the trailer that turned me off the most.

It's not because I didn't particularly like Inception, it's just that it doesn't look at all like Doctor Strange to me. Though for non-fans I guess that's not an issue. It might actually be to the film's benefit.

I have to return some videotapes...
The poll makes me think of this b

'Why the hell do you have to be so critical?'
'I'm a critic!'
'No, your job is to rate movies on a scale from "good" to "excellent"!'
'What if I don't like them?'
'That's what "good" is for.'

But seriously, it seems like Marvel's more left-field gambles have a tendency to pay off (with the most obvious examples being Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man) and the fact that the film gives off an Inception vibe with its world-bending visuals means that it can draw a degree of interest from people who might not already be invested in the MCU. That being said, the aforementioned issues regarding race and politics make me a little skeptical of it being worth seeing.
This is the only reason I have semi-interest because most of these "left field gambles" tend to not be crammed with world building and setting up for further films. Do I think the movie will be good? Maybe, but I have a feeling that although it may be a good trailer it's gonna be too out there for audiences because choosing Derrickson to helm your film means he's gonna deliver something uncomfortable and I guess strange.

Choosing Derrickson to helm your film means he's gonna deliver something uncomfortable and I guess strange.
Entirely appropriate.

Though Doctor Strange is not the same genre as his other films, so I don't think we can expect the same kind of atmosphere his other productions have had. After all, it's not like Lord of the Rings felt anything like Braindead/Dead Alive or the Frighteners.

haha. Okish is the bad choice tbh. You can choose that one. You hate Tilda that much? but yea Ancient One doesn't at all suit her.
No Im getting a "Fantastic Four" vibe from this Dude. That way farther down south than "OKish".