2004 Academy Awards, nominations

Tools    

Do you know my poetry?
I was really pissed Murray didn't win the oscar for Best Actor, I was really hoping that he would, his performance in Lost in Translation was just great. And I was totally surprised that The Return of the King won every single award it was nominated for, I just have to say WOW to Lord of the Rings for getting 11 Academy Awards.

Hi
Bah I was the opposite, I think Murray is nowhere near Sean Penn. I know all about the "he makes it so look so easy" arguement but nontheless its not at all as intense as Penn's. I had faith in the academy to pick Splendor for adaptation, yet they go with LOTR

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Tuna
I had faith in the academy to pick Splendor for adaptation, yet they go with LOTR
That was the only award I didn't want Return of the King to win in, American Splendor I thought should of at least won that award. I was very dissapointed that American Splendor didn't get a nomination for Best Picture or Best Actor for Paul Giamatti, which I think he very much deserved.

"It's a clean sweep", said Steven Spielberg

What a Grand Finale! 11 for 11

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
yeah all that work for LOTR finally paid off at the oscars.

Originally Posted by kaisersoze
yeah all that work for LOTR finally paid off at the oscars.

What did everyone think about Billy Crystal’s intro… I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the LOTR part with Moore…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn

What did everyone think about Billy Crystal’s intro… I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the LOTR part with Moore…

I thought Billy Crystal's intro was flat out hysterical. His blending of himself through major films are the best.
I loved that LOTR scene w/Moore getting stomped on...it cracked me up as well yet, myfavorite part was the take of Something's Gotta Give with Crystal, Nicholson and Keaton all screaming aat each other. .

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by Caitlyn

Me too, I enjoyed his LOTR's character impersonation of Smeagol also... I was too busy laughing to remember any of the dialogue now... but the incorporation of michael moore was by far the funniest segment of his trailer thingy.

Robin Williams stage presentation about the 5 second delay was also funny...... I'm going to see if I can get the image of the "sanfranciso wedding cake" and use it as my avatar.

"Mr. Tolkien, this is a fictitious war...."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by susan
everything about the oscars last night came off well, i thought...it was one of best shows that i have s een in years...
I agree. And, like everyone else, I loved the opening movie with Billy Crystal. Some other highlights I liked...aside from the LOTR's sweep, YAY!.....

Blake Edwards...recieving his award in his speeding wheel chair and flying into a fake wall. He gave a very nice speech too.

Jack Black and Will Farrell...dear lord they were funny. They sounded great together.

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson...quite a pair...I loved these two. Poor Ben...

Mitch and Mickey!!

The tribute to Kate Hepburn.

And, of course the pretty people looking so pretty.

It was NOT one of the best shows in years. It was nice that Jackson and his team were rewarded [and rewarded and rewarded and rewarded and rewarded], but deservedness asides, whitewashes make for very dull television.

And in regards to the tributes, especially the Hepburn and Hope tributes, how freakin' pathetic. Couldn't they have found some better clips?!

"Thanks for making me feel nothing, guys..."

A novel adaptation.
Oh Silver, "you're my knight in shining armor".

I'll agree this one was a huge dissapointment, though.

Originally Posted by jrs
You're pathetic!
Whatever, man. Go jump off a bridge.

In other years, the tributes have been wonderfully done and as a result, very moving. That wasn't the case this year. All three of them [Hope, Hepburn and "In Memorium"] felt like they'd been thrown together at the last minute.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
In other years, the tributes have been wonderfully done and as a result, very moving. That wasn't the case this year. All three of them [Hope, Hepburn and "In Memorium"] felt like they'd been thrown together at the last minute.
Although There was a lot I liked about Oscars, I agree with you on the above point, I thought the Memorium wasn't moving at all, I also thought Clint Eastwood looked very uncomfortable when Billy was singing to him

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by nebbit
I also thought Clint Eastwood looked very uncomfortable when Billy was singing to him
You can't really blame him though. when someone is singing to you in front of 5 billion poeple saying "Most men your age are either dead or dying", i dont think anyone would know whether to laugh or cry.