Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

To the people talking ***** about The Devil's Rejects:

That didn't help your case, either. I'm even more correct as a martyr.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Freud: The Secret Passion - 8/10

A very psychological film!

Before I watched it, I had a huge feeling it was a failure in the box-office because Huston is a favorite director of mine, yet this film missed my radar. Sometimes it's other things that bring the association - for example, I was watching stand-up yesterday, and Mort Sahl mentioned this film, and then today there was the story of the high school principal hypnotizing kids who later died, so it stayed in my consciousness until a few triggers.

Clift has the same accent as he does in Judgement at Nuremberg (very bad) - I almost would prefer an actor to speak with no accent than a bad one. I also didn't think his performance was that great, thought it was bland. I've never seen Freud in person, and neither did he, so maybe it was the safe way to go. The light exposure was different, almost looked like a TV-film visually.

Not the best start, but the film gets really great after the first hurdle. Not an easy film to judge, as the themes by themselves were good enough for my interest, but Huston's heart was in it, and that's usually great for art, as opposed to businessmen making movies.

Wild (2014)

Reese Witherspoon was nominated for Best Actress at the last Academy Awards for her performance in this movie and she was more than deserving of it. Sure, it's one of those "a person goes out into the elements to find themselves" type of movie, but I like these type of movies in general. For those who find these movies tedious, there are a good deal of flashbacks of Reese's life before her journey into the wilderness. "Wild" doesn't just stand for her outdoors journey, it also refers to her going off the rails in civilization after a traumatic event in her life. I found Reese to be very believable in this movie as she remembers her past, and the present, which has dangers and temptations for her as well. Laura Dern was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Reese's mom in this, but I didn't feel she really deserved it now that I've seen it. She was okay, but with Reese's memory broken up into sections in the film, Dern's role didn't feel complete to me, even if she is a huge catalyst for Witherspoon going off alone to make her over-1000-mile journey alone. But, all-in-all, a very fine movie and probably my favorite Witherspoon performance of all.

Rattlers (1976)

This is a highly trashable 70's "nature goes beserk" type of movie, which I couldn't take my eyes off of, but is in no way a recommendation. Still, I was never bored. A person can watch a piece of cinema, not like it, but still not be bored. The whole time I admit I was thinking of bad things to say about this movie, and there is plenty, believe me! First, the acting: the leading man, snake expert Sam Chew Jr., is pretty wooden, but he's the best actor in the film; his co-star, photographer Elisabeth Chauvet, is so wooden she's practically eaten up with wood rot. She starts out in the film as one of those ubiquitous 70's women's libbers who argues with Mr. Chew Jr. about women's rights, then is, within about five minutes, charmed by him to the point where she just smiles at any man who even suggests she's a pretty young thing.

But the important part, the rattlesnakes. They are acting out of character for rattlesnakes (they have character?) and have taken to attacking people en masse instead of one snake at a time, and with no provocation. At one point, it appears that a snake has attacked an Army jeep tire while it was rolling at high speed and flattens the tire! Then, when the men take the tire off, there are several snakes waiting under the jeep to attack. Snakes attack a nubile young woman in her tub and she doesn't do the viewer the courtesy of standing up to escape them but simply lies there and pushes with her hands as if that will work. Meanwhile, the plumber below her house who is trying to fix the hot water has a snake climb up his pants. Make your own joke here. Turns out the Army has buried a leaking nerve gas cannister in a mine where our snakey friends naturally nest. So, the snakes get a contact high and go on the attack. There are more people killed throughout the movie but, c'mon, see for yourself, don't believe me. The snakes are supposedly all killed at the end (without gathering them all together) by grenades and a cave-in, but as the heroes pass by on the road, we see another exit from the mines and ominous rattling.

^
^
^ Our comatose heroes.

The Dawn Patrol

Super WWI action movie starring Errol Flynn, David Niven, and Basil Rathbone. Flynn and Niven are the top flyers in a squadron in France who take off every day on "dawn patrols" to bomb the German supply lines, and dogfight the Germans in the air. Rathbone has a rare sympathetic character role (not counting his Sherlock Holmes) as their commanding officer who stresses over the number of his flyers who don't return at day's end and hates his commanding officers who sit in cushy offices and send green kids to the front only for Rathbone to lose them in battle in a day's time. Rathbone is really as excellent as I've ever seen him in a movie, although I've always liked him. Flynn and Niven don't like losing the young men under them either, but get drunk to salute those men and are a discipline problem for Rathbone, but he tends to overlook this as he understands what they go through. There is one particularly great sequence where the two pilots sneak out before dawn and bomb a German airfield to great success. I loved this movie and it proved to me that Flynn didn't have to have a sword in his hand to be a hero in a movie and Rathbone didn't have to be a bad guy to be great. Highly recommended.

Master of My Domain
What Swan is failing to realize is that The Devil's Rejects is a very dark satire and can't see beyond the so called "obnoxiousness" being shown.

All these GIFs just convince me that I'm right.
I'm with you, definitely doesn't get me any closer to seeing it. A lot of flickin' off going on it that flick. I guess that's how you know they are bad ass.

Please keep in mind that when I do these ratings they are rated based on what I get out of them and not a reflection on quality. So this is movie number 1 of my Halloween viewing. A lot of you know Horror is not my genre but I am going to try to branch out more than I have. The Changeling once again is a good example of why most Horror does not appeal to me. It is trying so hard to give you chills that it skimps on character development and interesting dialogue. This movie succeeds in what it sets out to do. The score is good, the house looks cool, and it had creepy moments. The problem for me is its sole intention is to scare and it doesn't do that for me at all. The bathtub scene is very disturbing, but that is one scene in a movie that is trying to disturb quite often. I will keep giving Horror a try, eventually I have to hit some I love, right?

Grimdhouse-Death Proof.

9/10

Another Tarantino classic,although not all his films are classic,the Kill Bill's stunk.

Back to Death Proof.

Great girls,great bar,great jukebox,as usual tremendous dialogue and Kurt Russel's 2nd best performance after Big Trouble in Little China.

Butterfly doesn't look much like a lapdancer with her flip flops but she steals the movie with her scene.Great song too.

Welcome to the human race...
What Swan is failing to realize is that The Devil's Rejects is a very dark satire and can't see beyond the so called "obnoxiousness" being shown.
Yeah, which is why I wrote:

Like an even worse version of Natural Born Killers.
Anyway...

Beginners -

Avengers Age of Ultron

(Can someone tell me how to do the garbage cans icon?)

I give it 4 garbage cans (I'd give it a 4.2 actually).
In comic grading I'd give it VF/NM or a 9.1

Welcome to the human race...
Avengers Age of Ultron

(Can someone tell me how to do the garbage cans icon?)

I give it 4 garbage cans (I'd give it a 4.2 actually).
In comic grading I'd give it VF/NM or a 9.1
They're boxes of popcorn, not garbage cans. As for how to do them, just do them like this [rating*]5[/rating*] but remove the asterisks.

They're boxes of popcorn, not garbage cans. As for how to do them, just do them like this [rating*]5[/rating*] but remove the asterisks.
Haaaa! That's the best laugh I had all day! They're boxes of POPCORN!!! (Makes perfect sense).
This whole time I thought they were little orange garbage cans! At first I thought they were ratings for how BAD the movies were (thus garbage cans), but then I stopped thinking about it completely and just figured, "the more garbage cans the better!"

Shows how bad MY eyesight is! (I am such a dork!)

Thanks for the correction. Now, do you have to type out the word "rating" every time, or is there a tab for it somewhere?

Grimdhouse-Death Proof.

9/10

Another Tarantino classic,although not all his films are classic,the Kill Bill's stunk.

Back to Death Proof.

Great girls,great bar,great jukebox,as usual tremendous dialogue and Kurt Russel's 2nd best performance after Big Trouble in Little China.

Butterfly doesn't look much like a lapdancer with her flip flops but she steals the movie with her scene.Great song too.
I repped this because it's nice to see some love for Death Proof...

But that was before I saw you said the Kill Bill's stunk. I take my rep back. Yoda! Remove my rep and remove this man from the forum!

MovieMeditation;1397188]I repped this because it's nice to see some love for Death Proof...

But that was before I saw you said the Kill Bill's stunk. I take my rep back. Yoda! Remove my rep and remove this man from the forum! [/quote]

Sorry dude!

The Kill Bill's were pure self indulgence on Tarantino's part.In my opinion of course.
Probably two of the worst movies out there.

Stay cool.
Carl.

Exploitation Films Lover
Long Live Death (1971)- Fantastic! became one of my favorite films!
I think it's the best of this three movies. (I'm sorry i can not write what I'm real think about the film cause my bad English ) 9/10

I Will Walk Like a Crazy Horse (1973)- 8/10

The Tree of Guernica (1975)- 7/10