Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Lars and the Real Girl (2007)

I think most people know what this is about, that a shy young man has a relationship with a sex doll. It doesn't go for raunchy humor, although it is humorous. It is sweet and touching, a little low-key for me to love it, but I think worth watching for most people. Ryan Gosling does a good job, as does the rest of the cast. The doll is actually pretty sexy, and I would certainly hit it.

Very rarely funny, very rarely scary, cruises along at just average enough to keep you from getting bored. Interesting twist, though.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Dr. Strangelove
Just showed it to a friend, here were my thoughts I posted in my top 50 thread recently
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

I'm not a very big fan of Kubrick, and this is his only film to make my list. This is by far one of the smartest movies I have ever seen, and I have been meaning to read the original Peter George novel for a while. All of the performances in this film are fantastic, especially from Peter Sellers, who gives probably the greatest comedic performance of all time in this film. I like to see this movie as three stories (the plane, the war room, and the military base), all incredibly interesting in their own way. Each has great characters, memorable lines, and fantastic acting. This is defiantly one of the funniest, smartest, and most well-crafted movies of all time.

Welcome to the human race...
Django Unchained -
(possibly
)

Will go into detail soon enough, but yeah, I definitely think this is Tarantino's second-worst movie. I really want it to be so much more than it actually is.

Everest (2015)
IMAX 3D

It takes a good while to get going, but suddenly it hits you like a hard snow storm and begins to elevate towards a climatic peak... Unfortunately the movie is never intense enough or daring enough and the emotions gets a bit lost in its own blizzard. It can feel forced at times, but thankfully the acting expertise keeps things authentic and intriguing throughout - especially towards the end. I really wished this wasn't just a black on white movie inspired by a true story, but it kind of falls flat as a whole.

That said, those exciting scenes in the extreme weather conditions and watching the mountain having the upper hand is truly intense when it's at its uppermost level - and watching it in IMAX makes those particular scenes feel like it is destined to be watched in that format and that format alone... I just wish the story would've dug deeper into the characters and perhaps made at least one character more central, instead of flying above the assemble and only pick a little in one or two characters, merely revealing the outer layer. Again, the acting and intense sequences saves it a bit, but it had more potential than what it fulfilled and it didn't quite reach the top for me.

rating coming together with full review
before US release

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

I watched this not that long ago, and while I thought it was very good, I thought that I could or should love it. After my second viewing, I feel the same way.

This movie has good power, but I don't think I'm a big fan of movies based on plays, or at least movies that you can easily tell are based on plays. Vivien Leigh won an Oscar for her role, but her performance is uneven for me, maybe a little over the top at times. The rest of the cast; Brando, Malden, and Hunt, are terrific. The story is a huge strength.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
God Help the Girl (2013)

I liked Olly Alexander in this but overall it was just too awkward, self-consciously hipster and irritating. At times it didn't really make sense. They should have just made a couple of music videos to go with the songs, because this didn't really work as a musical film.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) -

Searching for Sugar Man -

American Ultra (2015)

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Now the writing ain't best and some of the character motivation makes no sense, but the comedic elements and the action made it quite enjoyable. It was a very....strange movie but it strangely worked for me. And Kristen Stewart was pretty good, shedding that Twilight shell.

Brilliant adaptation of Steinbeck's classic.

I struggled through this. The CGI was great but the script was horrendous.

Terrible! If you want to watch a film about the Kray twins, watch the The Krays (1990).

Life Itself (2014)

I'm not sure how good this documentary is if it's about somebody you have no interest in, but it's about a man, Roger Ebert, who I've always been a big fan of.

I grew up in Chicago, so I grew up with Ebert. I read his reviews in the paper since I learned how to read, and I've watched his shows for as long as I can remember. As cool as it was to get a glimpse of the man's life behind the career, it was equally as tough to watch his last days unfold. It was awesome seeing clips of his old reviews of movies like Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now, and seeing how his rivalry with fellow critic Gene Siskel grew into a special friendship. The movie gives an insightful look at Ebert's early single days, all the way to his days as a family man. Ultimately, this is an emotional look at a legend.

RIP

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Sunset Strip (1950)
FINALLY got around to actually watching this in its entirety. Haunting and very well executed movie.

Run All Night
Very VERY surprised by this one. Nothing new; same old same old terse, gritty story, but for an extremely familiar tune, they played it VERY VERY well. Will be watching this one again.

Seventh Son
+ Another HUGE surprise. Did NOT think I was gonna like this, but they actually did a rather decent job of it.

Cymbeline
A Shakespeare play done in modern times that I have not actually seen, nor read, so I actually went into completely blind. Not extraordinary, but enjoyable.

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
The surprise is that I actually sat and watched this lil pre-teen faire that ranks right up there with the "glittery" vampire movies -- and no, I did not watch them and won't.

Scream (1996)

In honor of the late Wes Craven, I'm rewatching my personal favorite slasher series of his. I didn't watch this one until I was about 6-7 so I was a little late to the party. I've always felt Matthew Lillard really shined in this movie, although when you rewatch it, it kind of loses its touch since you know whats going to happen. Still love the play Craven did parodying himself essentially, always love that when he does that during these films.

Scream 2 (1997)

This one was a step down imo, the twist at the end and Jaime Kennedy's character are probably the highlight of the movie.

Scream 3(2000)

I enjoyed this one much more than the second one, still not as good as the first though. The movie set wasn't a terrible change or anything but I just thought the tension was better, now the twist at the end of this one was meh to me but the overall atmosphere of the movie was just much better imo.

i'm gonna watch the 4th one here soon. I was also thinking of giving the tv show a chance if it is alright.