The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Breakdown...

The Graduate

3x 1st (75 points), 3x 2nd (72 points), 4x 3rd (92 points), 2x 4th (44 points), 2x 5th (42 points), 4x 6th (80 points), 7th (19 points), 3x 8th (54 points), 9th (17 points), 10th (16 points), 11th (15 points), 4x 12th (56 points), 2x 13th (26 points), 3x 14th (36 points), 16th (10 points), 18th (8 points), 19th (7 points), 2x 21st (10 points), 22nd (4 points), 23rd (3 points),

Notes

The film was the only to receive its amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.

Don't care for The Graduate.

I would say that I'm glad it didn't make the top five, but actually I'm not happy about it. I would've been happy to see a Kubrick film show up today so that he'd have only one in the top five. Now we know he's got two.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Graduate was my #10.
The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)

Brilliantly-directed film concerning the misadventures of Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman), an upper-class college graduate who returns to his posh L.A. family home with little thought of what to do with his future. In fact, his first day home, his parents throw him a welcome-home party populated by all the parents' friends, but Benjamin feels like a fish out of water, although he fatefully decides to drive home Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), and thus the virginal Benjamin begins a sensual trip down the rabbit hole with the unhappy, alcoholic older woman. Things really come to a head when Benjamin realizes that he prefers the company of Mrs. Robinson's college-aged daughter Elaine (Katharine Ross), but Mommy will stop at nothing to keep the "kids" apart.

Although The Graduate is wonderfully-acted and is based on a sparklingly-witty script by Buck Henry and Calder Willingham, it's really Mike Nichols' fastidiously-entertaining direction, in conjunction with DP Robert Surtees and song score team Simon & Garfunkel which helps keep the film miles ahead of the competition to this very day. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the direction and cinematography of this film are among the finest ever seen in cinema history. Right from the opening shot of Benjamin arriving at and leaving LAX, he's framed in the corner of the image as an outsider, while "The Sound of Silence" plays over the credits. After Ben arrives home, most of the scenes are done in long takes with incredibly-beautiful-and-deeply-thematic photography utilized to draw you into Ben's "world of silence". He just doesn't relate to life back at home, and as each scene plays out in its own excitingly-creative style, even the casual viewer can see the importance of pre-planning the visual complexity of all the scenes for maximum emotional impact. To me, The Graduate is a comedy, first and foremost, a satire of the rich, complacent California lifestyle second, and a powerful human drama third. The script and Dustin Hoffman really make it pay off as a comedy, but it's the rest of the cast which adds to its satiric weight, not the least of whom is Murray Hamilton (Mayor Vaughn in Jaws) as Mr. Robinson. Let's not forget that other Jaws connection, Richard Dreyfuss! But weighing the whole thing to the Earth and making it much more poignant is the complex way that Nichols and Surtees shoot the film, and then the way that Nichols utilizes Sam O'Steen's editing, along with the songs, to assemble a film which far outdoes the French New Wave at their own game.

Mike Nichols blew my mind with his first film, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. Coming from a theatrical background, Nichols did show off his cinematic skill subtly in that film, but he reigned himself in to make what was ostensibly a play-shot-on-film (although it was far more intense than both most plays and most films). The Graduate could not be more highly-cinematic. The musical montage of Ben and Mrs. Robinson sharing their silent hotel bed, intercut with Ben at home in his own bedroom and floating in his swimming pool, still retains the pristine power which exemplifies why film lovers love film. It truly can do things which no other art form can do to both engage your senses and your soul. Well, music can too, but music helps push this film over the top in its cinematic grandeur.

Before I sound too much like a Mike Nichols sycophant (OOPS! Too late!), I'll admit that The Graduate cannot maintain its intensity all the way through the film. When it transfers to Berkeley in the second half, some of the air is let out of the balloon. Even so, compared to most films, this latter section of The Graduate is excellent, but some of the musical and editing repetiton becomes apparent. Luckily, The Graduate does contain one of the more intense final 15 minutes in film, involving a sequence where Benjamin drives back-and-forth, totalling over 1200 miles in less than 18 hours, to try to make things right with his true love, all the while dodging the cops and the Robinsons' attempts to marry off Elaine. It all climaxes in one of the better endings of all time.
#1. Elmer Gantry (48)
#2. Midnight Cowboy (10)
#3. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (29)
#5. War and Peace (102ish)
#6. My Fair Lady (40)
#7. Mary Poppins (49)
#8. Alfie (-)
#9. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (21)
#10. The Graduate (6)
#11. West Side Story (28)
#12. Z (44)
#13. The Innocents (32)
#14. The Manchurian Candidate (34)
#15. Rosemary’s Baby (9)
#16. The Pawnbroker (-)
#17. One, Two, Three (-)
#18. Planet of the Apes (14)
#19. Lawrence of Arabia (7)
#22. Spartacus (47)
#23. Tom Jones (-)
#24. The Professionals (-)
#25. Romeo and Juliet (-)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm going to join the resident curmudgeons for the rest of this list because there's only one movie left in the top six that I actually like, and it isn't this one. I really did not like The Graduate and am at a loss to understand the popularity which got it higher on this list than Lawrence of Arabia.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Everybody thought everybody else would vote for Once Upon a Time in the West so nobody did, and The Producers is actually number five.

The Graduate was number 5 on my list. Great comedy-drama with great music as well.

The Graduate was my twelfth overall pick. I will love this movie forever and ever, but I intensely connected with it, like almost to an obsessive level, when I was about nineteen or twenty, first couple years of college. Yes, some elements of the film are dated now, but Mike Nichols' direction is still fun and fresh all these decades later, Hoffman and Bancroft are astoundingly good, the Simon and Garfunkel is perfect, and most importantly it really captures that sense of unease that is usually a prerequisite for most of us moving from young adulthood into adulthood and beyond. While I figured The Graduate making the list was fairly inevitable, I was fearful that this classic would land up ridiculously high, like in the thirties or forties. I honestly didn't expect it to go as high as sixth, but that's groovy.

MY LIST...
2. Lawrence of Arabia (#7)
5. Army of Shadows (#58)
6. The Wild Bunch (#15)
9. Z (#44)
11. High & Low (#23)
12. The Graduate (#6)
13. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (#21)
15. Rosemary’s Baby (#9)
17. Bonnie & Clyde (#45)
19. The Battle of Algiers (#69)
21. A Hard Day's Night (#53)
22. Cool Hand Luke (#12)
23. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (#29)
24. Midnight Cowboy (#10)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	graduate.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	22471  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

But only one of them is good.
Yeah, a good movie and a bad movie in the same top five. Makes perfect sense.

Not sure if I've ever seen Cool Hand Luke all the way through - intended to watch it before submitting my list but didn't get around to it unfortunately.

Persona is a masterpiece and is in my all-time top 10. A bit disappointed that it didn't make the top 10 here - it was my number three.

Midnight Cowboy is very good but didn't really come close to making my list. Probably in my 60s top 50.

Rosemary's Baby is excellent and my favourite of the seven Polanski films I've seen. Didn't vote for it but it was close.

The Apartment is another excellent film that I didn't vote for. My favourite by Wilder and a film that really made me appreciate the talents of Shirley MacLaine.

Lawrence of Arabia is very good but not a real favourite of mine. As far as Lean goes I much prefer Brief Encounter over his epics. I thought O'Toole was fantastic in LoA but as is often the case in movies of this type I was a little frustrated by him being surrounded by one-dimensional characters.

The Graduate is a masterpiece with pretty much every element of the movie being handled perfectly - the direction, the acting, the script, the music ... pretty much everything. It was my number six.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
3. Persona
6. The Graduate
7. High & Low
8. The Human Condition III
9. Judgement at Nuremberg
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
15. To Kill a Mockingbird
16. Harakiri
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
24. Z
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 82 of 95

I like The Graduate well enough, but I didn't even consider voting for it. It's probably my least favorite of the top ten. But I do like it.

The Graduate was my #14. It is quite an important film in my movie watching development. As I've said many times I used to watch old films with my mum as a kid but as I got older I turned my back on them, then when I was around 16 I caught The Graduate at the start of a classic film season here in the UK and loved it. The following weeks I saw Gone With The Wind, The Deer Hunter, Full Metal Jacket and Citizen Kane, without The Graduate I doubt I'd have tried any of them.

Great movie. Starting here and going some time into the 80s Hoffman went onto one of the finest streaks in acting, with this probably being my second fave of his after Midnight Cowboy. Such an amazing sound track that is actually the main reason it made my list. I hadn't watched this since my first time until I watched Arrested Development Season 4, those scenes with GOB and The Sound of Silence really put me in the mood

The Graduate was my number 3! I have nothing more to add to Mark's fantastic review. I agree with it completely, including the last paragraph (even though it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the film as a whole at all).

Cinematic magic!

1. 8 1/2 (1963)
2. An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
3. The Graduate (1967)
4. Will make it!
5. The Apartment (1960)
6. Will make it!
7. Will make it!
8. La Dolce Vita (1960)
9. Will make it!
10. Playtime (1967)
11. High and Low (1963)
12. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
13. The End of Summer (1961)
14. The Bad Sleep Well (1960)
15. Late Autumn (1960)
16. The Swimmer (1968)
17. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
18. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
19. Blow-Up (1966)
20. The Silence (1963)
21. Belle de Jour (1967)
22. Peeping Tom (1960)
23. Will make it!
24. Juliet of the Spirits (1965)
25. Goldfinger (1964)