The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Breakdown...

West Side Story

1st (25 points), 3rd (23 points), 4th (22 points), 2x 6th (40 points), 2x 8th (36 points), 3x 11th (45 points), 12th (14 points), 16th (10 points), 22nd (4 points), 23rd (3 points)

Harakiri

2nd (24 points), 4th (22 points), 5th (21 points), 2x 7th (38 points), 2x 8th (36 points), 9th (17 points), 2x 12th (28 points), 2x 16th (20 points), 17th (9 points), 18th (8 points), 19th (7 points),

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.

WSS is my #23. Had it down as a definite as well. Can't have a 60 list without West Side Story.

1. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
2. Definitely Top 10
3. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
4. Definitely
5. Definitely
6. The Innocents (1961) - 32nd
7. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
8. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
9. The Haunting (1963) - 42nd
10. True Grit (1969) - 69th
11. Definitely Top 10
12. Definitely Top 10
13. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
14. Peeping Tom (1960) - 33rd
15. Cape Fear (1962) - 84th
16. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40
17. The Great Escape (1963) - 30th
18. Maybe, possibly in the 20s
19. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40
20. Easy Rider (1969) - 38th
21. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
22. Definitely Top 10
23. West Side Story (1961) - 28th
24. Pretty sure it’ll make it, maybe Top 20
25. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40

Harakiri was already going to do well on my list, but watching it again for the Hall of Fame moved it up a few spots. It was my #8.

I did not like West Side Story.

My list-

#1 Elmer Gantry
#2 Onibaba
#3 Contempt
#6 Hud
#7 The Umbrellas of Cherbourg*
#8 Harakiri
#11 Inherit the Wind
#13 Breakfast at Tiffany's
#15 An Autumn Afternoon
#18 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
#22 The Battle of Algiers
#23 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
#25 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

I think my connection to WSS is that we did it as a play at school and I had to sing Maria. Was fun.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Well, I can now be a little happier tonight. I was kind of getting to the point to where I was thinking "How on earth could 'The Sound of Music' make it and NOT 'West Side Story'?".

Yes, I am the one who had it in the #1 spot on my list. But then again, if you saw my top 10 on my profile, you could've guessed where I would place it.

"West Side Story" has been a semi-obsession since I was a little kid. And when I say "little", I am saying 4-5 years old. So, I have been a fan of it for quite a long time now. I would like to go on and on about how much I love it (and why I do), but I will spare all of that and save it, perhaps, for some other time.

I saw "Harakiri" years ago. I remember very little about it to give an opinion. That is another one that I always mean to watch again (I have a very long list of films that I need to re-watch), but I just never seem to get around to it. I do remember thinking it was a good film (which is the only reason I have a list of movies that I want to re-watch - I remember them being good but I am not too sure how good they were and so I want to watch them again).

We may be underestimating Lawrence of Arabia too, it may have a shot.

I think it's surely going to place somewhere on the list.

Psycho will be #1, because I can't think of anyone who doesn't like it.

I think it's overrated and the interesting character (Norman) doesn't appear in it that much. It's mainly the tediously dated youths-solving-a-mystery. There's a hint of subversion at the end but it isn't as subversive as Peeping Tom, where the deviant is the protagonist. The good parts of Psycho are really excellent though.

I watched Harakiri for the 7th HOF. I went into not expecting to like it much. I was shocked to find, that even though I didn't feel much for the characters, I was totally engaged with the story. I also found the cinematography and the wonderfully choreographed fight scenes (using real weapons) to be really impressive. I had it at #7.

I don't think I've ever seen West Side Story, but I'm fairly confident that I wouldn't like it.

My List
2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#101)
7. Harakiri (#27)
8. Onibaba (#62)
10. Through A Glass Darkly (#81)
18. In Cold Blood (#78)
21.The Jungle Book (#88)
22. Easy Rider (#38)
23. The Virgin Spring (#67)
25. Something That Didn't Make the One Pointers List

Harakiri is a complete masterpiece. I instantly fell in love with it on my initial viewing a few months back, it also made me try the excellent Kwaidan from Kobayashi and has me giddy for working my way through The Human Condition trilogy. The Cinematography, acting and story were all fantastic IMO. I brought it up a good few times on the site so I hope I helped convince a few to watch it. I had it at #7.

Wasn't planning on watching West Side Story but caught it on TV and thought I may as well. Sadly I really didn't like it, from a visual perspective it is great but the only song I liked was the officer krupke one and the dance fighting had me cringing. Still I totally understand why fans of musicals like it so much, just not for me.

Seen - 36/74
My List -6/25

6.Army of Shadows
7.Harakiri
21.Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?
22.Judgement At Nuremberg
24.Easy Rider
25.From Russia With Love

Hara Kiri was number 12 for me and the 4th film from my list to appear on the countdown.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
West Side Story is my third and final musical from my list. I had it at #11. Harakiri is a well-acted, well-photographed samurai film with a twist and with a big ending. It didn't make my list.
West Side Story (Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins, 1961)
Exhilarating transfer of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet to 1950s New York City contains inventive direction by Robert Wise, awesome choreography by co-director Jerome Robbins, and powerfully-immortal music by Leonard Bernstein and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. Besides having the traditional plot of gang warfare and love trying to rise above it, there is the added dimension of racism, since the Jets are White and the Sharks are Puerto Rican. The opening scenes high above NYC have become iconic, and they're followed by a long stretch with no dialogue or singing at all, just whistling, other sound effects and some stylized dancing to quickly get you involved in the tenseness of the situation. Of all the songs, my faves would be the hilarious "Gee, Officer Krupke" (which is mostly about kinky sex, child abuse and drug use) and the double-edged sword "America" (which delineates how our country is both full of promise and disappointment).

Damn, I really wanted to watch West Side Story before the deadline but didn't get to it in time... It's been ready to play ever since but there has always been things keeping me from watching it. I also want to watch it at a time where I'm totally in the mood and completely invested in it. I noticed the beautiful widescreen looks the best when it's in a darkened room and on my preferred TV. Yes, I'm a perfectionist on that area as well...

Anyways, Harakiri was #16 on my list!

I really enjoyed it and can imagine that it will grow better with time for me.

Here is what I wrote about it in my diary thread:

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
176 .......................... 165

May 19th

—— 1962 ——
HARAKIRI
—— drama ——

Definitely one of my most anticipated watches for the 1960s,
while also being a long awaited viewing in the general sense of the word

I have wanted to watch it for quite some time, but I was always a little afraid to dive into it and finding out I was not in the mood or that it wouldn’t live up to its reputation. Even though I had an urge to experience this supposed masterpiece, I eventually chose to read as little as possible about it, hoping that this tactic would bring me the most complete experience imaginable…

I must say the film definitely took me by surprise, neither in a negative nor positive way, but somewhere in between. I obviously couldn’t predict what the film would essentially be about, now when I determinately decided to keep my eyes and ears shut for so long, almost turning to hara-kiri myself because of the agonizing anticipation. If anything, my main expectations were more action orientated than drama dominated, that is for sure... I wasn’t at all expecting this film to feel like a long walk to meet one’s maker, and quite literally so, while debating all sorts of old traditional ways of life in Japanese culture. In the film, the ancient morals of the samurai regime are put to the test, wherein the very honor and morality of being a samurai are questioned to uncertainty. The film works as a very interesting view on these things, as well as the basic foundation of a human being – whether samurai or not. I was staggered by the storytelling used in this film, how it grew out from those previously mentioned elements, and how it was essentially told over very little time. Just as the samurai in question began to tell his story, the understanding behind it all didn’t just become clear to the fictional spectators, but also to the filmic ones. We, as an audience, learned and understood the characters in the film as the story progressed, while our own partial judgments almost subsisted within the movie. We were the hangmen. In a story we hadn’t even gotten the hang of yet.

If I were to complain about anything in this film, it would be rather hard to do. There is no doubt that this is masterful filmmaking at its finest, but I still have a few nitpicks I want to point out. Even though I was previously praising the prolonging evolvement of a fairly simplistic tale, I still think the story could have been shortened slightly and felt all the more impactful for it. I was never actually bored during the film, but I felt like some segments were dragged and certain morals repeated. With that said, I still found it astounding how the film seemed to constantly reinvent itself and recreate the tension you believed to be lost for a split-second. In the end, it continuously managed to pick up just when it needed to; spilling out new information when it was required the most; exactly how the main character spoke for his own life during the film. The final battle was much anticipated, but I ultimately felt a bit underwhelmed. I did enjoy the one-on-one fight quite a lot though. Ultimately, it doesn’t change the overall impact of the film, which I still find rather amazing. Will it ever feel perfect? That a rewatch has to decide...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
LOL. West Side Story has an average of 5.63/10 from 18 of my movie friends.

Harakiri was 5th on my list! It features my favourite melee fight ever, but that's not imporatnt...

...after some little defeats ARTHOUSE TRIUMPHS AGAIN AND HARAKIRI MASSACRES MAINSTREAM MUSICAL!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I loved West Side Story when I first watched it as a teen. It's just a cool film. Oh sure it doesn't really represent real gang activity. But it sure is lively. I didn't have room for it on my list but happy to see it here!

I think my connection to WSS is that we did it as a play at school and I had to sing Maria. Was fun.
Rodent feels pretty
Oh, so pretty,
He feels pretty and witty and gay!
And I pity
Any girl who isn't him today.
LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA

Rodent feels charming,
Oh, so charming
It's alarming how charming he feels!
And so pretty
That I hardly can believe Rodent's real.
LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA

See the pretty girl in that mirror there

WHAT MIRROR WHERE?!
Who can that attractive girl be?
WHO WHICH ONE WHERE, HMM?
Such a pretty face,
Such a pretty dress,
Such a pretty smile,
Such a pretty me!

Rodent feels stunning
HE FEELS STUNNING!
And entrancing,