The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I thought you people were joking about negative points. Anyone who actually thinks that's a good idea is absolutely mental
I was definitely joking.

The Breakdown...

Goldfinger

2nd (24 points), 9th (17 points), 10th (16 points), 3x 11th (45 points), 12th (14 points), 2x 15th (22 points), 3x 22nd (12 points), 23rd (3 points), 2x 25th (2 points)

Bonnie and Clyde

3rd (23 points), 9th (17 points), 11th (15 points), 2x 13th (26 points), 15th (11 points), 16th (10 points), 2x 17th (18 points), 2x 18th (16 points), 20th (6 points), 2x 21st (10 points), 22nd (4 points), 25th (1 point)

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points so not tie breaking was needed.

Well I guess Dr. No isn't making it, which is a shame since it's the only one I was hoping for. I like Goldfinger well enough,great cineogaoraphy and production design, definitely better than From Russia With Love. Haven't seen Bonnie and Clyde yet

I have seen every Bond film once except for Dr. No (2 times) and From Russia with Love (3 times). Goldfinger IMO is the weakest of the "good" Bond films (non-Daniel Craig ones) but is still enjoyable. Bonnie and Clyde was my 22. Should have placed it higher though.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I, in my crazy mind, thought I had "Bonnie and Clyde" on my list. Looking it over, I don't. I seriously don't remember taking it off of my list. I wonder what I replaced it with. I really have no clue.

101. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (4)
97. Seconds

93. Fail Safe

88. Jungle Book

87. From Russia With Love (11)
86. Blow Up

85. Italian Job (19)
84. Cape Fear

77. The Lion in Winter (3)
72. True Grit (23)
66. In the Heat of the Night (21)
57. Charade

53. A Hard Day's Night (25)
52. The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

51. A Fistful of Dollars

49. Mary Poppins (15)
47. Spartacus (9)
46. Goldfinger

45. Bonnie and Clyde (22)

9/25 of my films

18/56 Overall

Well I guess Dr. No isn't making it, which is a shame since it's the only one I was hoping for. I like Goldfinger well enough,great cineogaoraphy and production design, definitely better than From Russia With Love. Haven't seen Bonnie and Clyde yet
I was hoping for Dr No too.

Arthur Penn's then shockingly violent Bonnie & Clyde (two years before Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch) was number seventeen on my list. For all of the uproar over its bloody mayhem, I suspect it was the largely sympathetic portrayal of anti-heroes by the incredibly gorgeous Beatty and Dunaway that people were responding to as viscerally as the carnage back in 1967, that watershed sea change of a year in Hollywood. The top five performances were all Oscar nominated (Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Gene Hackman, Estelle Parsons, Michael J. Pollard), and rightly so. But just as important to the movie's success are the likes of Denver Pyle, Dub Taylor, and in one scene-stealing ride in the getaway car Gene Wilder. The soundtrack featuring Earl Scruggs continuously plucking away on his banjo for "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" juxtaposed with the dark humor and Kensington gore, all mingling with the Vietnam era sense of futility and desperation masked in the 1930s period were more of the many genius touches throughout. As stylized as it is, it still plays great, coming up on fifty years later.

5. Army of Shadows (#58)
17. Bonnie & Clyde (#45)
19. The Battle of Algiers (#69)
21. A Hard Day's Night (#53)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Golfinger is probably my favourite Bond film. I considered including it at the bottom of my list, but in the end chose not too.

Bonnie and Clyde is good, but I don't think it's great like some people. It's certainly has an important place in American film history, but I think there's much better films from the era.

I didn't stump for the book before the voting closed because I figure people had enough movie watching to do, forget reading. But if you're interested in the era and the change from the old Studio System to the so-called New Hollywood that replaced it, check out Mark Harris' tome Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood. By looking at the five Best Picture nominees from 1967 (Bonnie & Clyde, The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? and Doctor Doolittle), Harris makes an examination for how the old ways of doing things by the establishment and the new ways were coming to a head. It's a good read.