The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Belle de Jour
Le Samouraï
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Breakdown...

Belle De Jour

2x 7th (38 points), 8th (18 points), 12th (14 points), 3x 21st (15 points), 24th (2 points), 2x 25th (2 points)

The Battle of Algiers

6th (20 points), 7th (19 points), 11th (15 points), 12th (14 points), 15th (11 points), 19th (7 points), 22nd (4 points)

Notes

Belle de Jour appeared on more lists than The Dirty Dozen, so appears higher. The Battle of Algiers tied with another film in both points and number of lists it appeared on, but its highest vote on an individual list was lower so it appears first.

I'm starting to fear for An Autumn Afternoon now, but at least another film from my list made it!

Belle de Jour was number 21 on my list! Catherine Deneuve is a fantastic actress and Bunuel used her brilliantly in this (slightly) surreal story about a young (and beautiful) housewife searching for an escape from her cold life by prostituting herself and indulging in masochistic fantasies.

My list so far:

15. Late Autumn (1960)
19. Blow-Up (1966)
21. Belle de Jour (1967)

And finally an appearance from my own list! I had The Battle of Algiers as my number nineteen pick, seven points, and it could have easily appeared much higher. As some may recall back in 2003, in preparation for what they thought they may face in Iraq, The Pentagon even used this fictional film shot in a Neo-Realist documentary-like style as an example of how urban guerrilla warfare is waged. Forty years after the end of the actual Algerian War for Independence and thirty-seven years after the film was released, it was still considered relevant enough and accurate enough to be used in such a manner.

It has always been linked to Costa-Gavras' Z in my head, as I saw them both around the same time, they were made within a few years of each other, and while Z is more stylized and has overt elements of a mystery, that cinematic look at political upheaval in Greece meshes thematically with the Algerian conflict of Pontecorvo's masterpiece.

Algeria is still a spectre in France, and continues to pop up in movies such as Michael Haneke's Caché (2005) and Rachid Bouchareb's Days of Glory (2006) and Outside the Law (2010), yet that colonization and liberation may be unknown or a sketchy footnote to American and larger worldwide audiences. But you need not know a lot of the historical specifics to be moved and impressed by The Battle of Algiers, which like most great works of narrative art reveals universal truths through its specificity, whether you know the context or not.

Not surprised it made the list, but hoped it would be at least top fifty material.

Belle De Jour is an upper ranked Bunuel film in my book. The film is paced brilliantly, creating a believable narrative despite a surreal style. The ending is very strange, but isn't it in most of Bunuels films? I'd be suprised if anyone else even voted for the Bunuel film I put on my lsit.

Haven't seen The Battle of the Algiers but have been meaning too.

I had The Dirty Dozen at #16, which makes a whole two films from my list so far.

The 60s was a great era for Boys Own Adventure type stuff and, as such, those films were always on TV in the 70s and 80s, usually in a matinee slot or early evening.

I grew up with ensemble pieces like this.
me too. I went to see True Grit at the pictures with my Dad, he loved action adventure films. He went with my mum to see The Dirty Dozen tho cos it was an X rated film much to my disgust! I think his favourite film of that era that must've been on the telly hundreds of times was The Guns of Naverone.

The People's Republic of Clogher
me too. I went to see True Grit at the pictures with my Dad, he loved action adventure films. He went with my mum to see The Dirty Dozen tho cos it was an X rated film much to my disgust! I think his favourite film of that era that must've been on the telly hundreds of times was The Guns of Naverone.
The Guns Of Navarone was a close call for my 25. I even had the audio book as a kid.

Bit too art-house for this crowd, though...

Belle de Jour was a near miss for my list. It is a very good movie and im not surprised it made the list.

As a former history student Battle of Algiers is one of my favorite war movies. Not surprisingly it was #6 on my list

Don't have my list here but I think I had Battle of Algiers 6th or 7th.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Both great films, but neither of them on my list.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Same as Minio, 2 fantastic movies, but that weren't on my list.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'd already seen Belle de Jour when it was reissued to theatres in the 1990s and went to see it with my wife. That was a fun night! Anyway, for those who have only seen Buñuel's pure surrealism, this is a good introduction to his more narrative films. There are still plenty of head-scratching scenes, including the disconcerting opening and the whacked-out ending, but most viewers will find a story they can follow. For this reason, some people find it "too mainstream", but it's certainly in the master's top five films. The use of sound (especially the sleigh bells), as in most Bunuel, is a key element too. Jean-Claude Carrière, who collaborated on six of Buñuel's latter films, co-wrote the script.

Here's some quick thoughts on #69.
The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)
Art House Rating:

Blistering semi-documentaryish film which highlights the battle of Algiers and Algeria's independence from France which was achieved after a long fight during the 1950s and early '60s. It's actually really quite current in the way it shows how the freedom fighters are actually terrorists (much in the same way American patriots were in the Revolution) while the powers in charge will use whatever forms of torture it takes to break them for the good of "themselves", including an early form of water boarding. The film can be seen as both an action and a war film but it has an overriding political agenda which shows that when imperialists are in charge of a country rather than the natives, extremely bad things happen. The film centers itself around one young Algerian guerilla and the French captain who is sworn to capture or kill him. The use of real Algerian locations where the story actually took place, including the Casbah, provides more power to this important, intense film.
Still none of my movies on the list.